Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First build thoughts

Options
  • 18-02-2021 1:57am
    Site Banned Posts: 22

Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor

Corsair A500 75 CFM CPU Cooler

MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

MSI GeForce GT 710 1 GB Video Card

Corsair iCUE 465X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case

Enermax Revolution D.F. 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Complete novice preparing for a build. Would appreciate any feedback.

Will be used for programming/gaming

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

You really want an ssd in there, could be as well as or instead of the 2TB hard drive.

The GT710 is completely useless for gaming, the onboard graphics from the cpu is probably better!

The biggest problem right now is the market is a mess for graphics cards (some other things aren't right but the graphics card situation is a farce).

I'd suggest you fill in the template from https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74542374 but you will probably be best off just buying a pre-built right now if you can find one to suit your budget because the graphics card situation is just that bad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I am assuming he is using the GT710 as a placeholder because of the bad stock situation, the processor he's chosen doesn't have an integrated GPU.

i7-10700K has a gpu, it's the ones with an F on the end that don't have a gpu. Not sure it's better than the GT710 really but neither would be any use for gaming but fine for programming.

Oh sorry you're right, I misread that as an F. Yeah, zero point to the GT710 then unless you needed multiple outputs which the board obviously wouldn't have.

In fact aside from that the integrated GPU would be better as it would have much better hardware support features as well.

The board they picked has hdmi (capped at 4k30 so realistically 1440p60) and displayport (4K60) so dual monitors is likely fine with the onboard.

• Advertisement

Sorry, by multiple I meant >2. Pretty sure the GT710 supports 3 monitors. Other than that though it would have no advantages whatsoever, in fact only disadvantages really given it won't have the same decoding support among other things.

• Site Banned Posts: 22 JimCore

minitrue wrote: »
    You really want an ssd in there, could be as well as or instead of the 2TB hard drive.

The GT710 is completely useless for gaming, the onboard graphics from the cpu is probably better!

The biggest problem right now is the market is a mess for graphics cards (some other things aren't right but the graphics card situation is a farce).

I'd suggest you fill in the template from but you will probably be best off just buying a pre-built right now if you can find one to suit your budget because the graphics card situation is just that bad :(

Thanks for the reply, appreciate.

When you say prebuilt do you recommend a second hand build or a gaming desktop for the likes of Dell?

Advertisement