Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge interest

• 18-02-2021 5:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have a Mortgage with Start and it's 5.3% I'm paying €1350pm on it I'm in negative Equity at the minute plus owe on the mortgage is €220,000 love advice on what I can do? Believe I'm paying €400 over the odds on this RATE desperate...
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Are you certain that you are in negative equity?

How much is your place worth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,522 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What type of mortgage is it. Fixed, varible etc.
    Do the terms allow you to pay it off? If so why not just remortgage with a new lender?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭bewhiched

JTMan wrote: »
    Are you certain that you are in negative equity?

How much is your place worth?

Hi Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah think it's worth €210,000 plus was taking to an adviser and said I was on the old Bank terms meaning I'd need 90% to change instead of 80% ...
    Must get it Valued killing me paying that much a Month..

Mellor wrote: »
    What type of mortgage is it. Fixed, varible etc.
    Do the terms allow you to pay it off? If so why not just remortgage with a new lender?

Hi
    It's a Variable and like that years.....
    Don't think I can if I'm in NEGATIVE Equity desperate

bewhiched wrote: »
    Hi

How much was the original mortgage and how much is outstanding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Hi

Negative Equity shouldn’t matter as there were provisions made specifically for that. You will need to be borrowing within 3.5 times your income though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I don't know your circumstances but is there a reason you went with that mortgage provider at that rate?
    Those reasons may still be there meaning a traditional lender may not take on your mortgage. Those rates are very high. I was on 2.95 variable just fixed for 5 years at 2.25 it saves me 100 a month so even getting it down a bit for now will greatly help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Negative Equity shouldn’t matter as there were provisions made specifically for that. You will need to be borrowing within 3.5 times your income though.

Eh?

Op is with Start mortgages. They are a sub prime lender and charge higher rates due to higher risk.

Basically the op was probably refused a mortgage by main banks when they took out the mortgage.

No bank will take it unless it is under 90% LTV AND 3.5 times income AND good credit record for past few years.

But 5.3% is Starts standard rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,608 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why did you sign up to a rate if 5.3%?

Darc19 wrote: »
    Eh?

Op is with Start mortgages. They are a sub prime lender and charge higher rates due to higher risk.

Basically the op was probably refused a mortgage by main banks when they took out the mortgage.

No bank will take it unless it is under 90% LTV AND 3.5 times income AND good credit record for past few years.

But 5.3% is Starts standard rate.

I am not sure which part ‘eh’ is referring to but most of not all the main banks allow you to transfer negative equity across.

BOI for example https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/borrow/mortgages/mover/negative-equity/ you can get up to 175% of the value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭stayback

OP go speak to a good mortgage broker. Get recommendations from friends, family, reviews online. Do this before you get a valuation. You might be surprised what they can do.

As for the bank of Ireland option mentioned that is for people trading up not switching big difference from a banks point of view.

I am not sure which part ‘eh’ is referring to but most of not all the main banks allow you to transfer negative equity across.

BOI for example https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/borrow/mortgages/mover/negative-equity/ you can get up to 175% of the value.

That’s 175% of the value of a new property. That wouldn’t apply to the OP who is looking to renegotiate on his existing property.

I can’t see anything in the regulations that suggest anything other than 90%LTV applies.

Sorry for some reason I thought you were moving.

Huge thanks guys
    I'll take all your advise and look more into this.
    Thank you

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

That option is for existing BOI mortgage holders only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

Hi
    I have a Mortgage with Start and it's 5.3% I'm paying €1350pm on it I'm in negative Equity at the minute plus owe on the mortgage is €220,000 love advice on what I can do? Believe I'm paying €400 over the odds on this RATE desperate...
    Thank you

Is there anyway you can overpay the mortgage for a few years? The CBI income multiple / LTV rules do not apply to switcher mortgages however I doubt any bank would consider a switch where a mortgage is currently in negative equity. And I would imagine the lending criteria for a switch, even where the CBI rules do not apply, would be onerous enough. Unfortunatly, my feeling is that you could be with Smart for another few years to be honest

Advertisement