Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 for parents

Options
  • 18-02-2021 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

I became unemployed this month as I couldn't support my workload with the schools closure and my position was transferred to another not juggling work and young kids.

I'm back minding three kids and really hoping the schools will open soon.

Just creating a thread for parents to chat about the lockdown, their kids, schools, etc. It might be a support to people during covid19.

How are all the parents getting on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭noplacehere

To start it on a positive note, we shelved the books for midterm and with the weather improvement my six year old nailed cycling in one day. we tried for weeks last summer because his friends could cycle to no avail so I’m delighted for him and he’s over the moon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

To start it on a positive note, we shelved the books for midterm and with the weather improvement my six year old nailed cycling in one day. we tried for weeks last summer because his friends could cycle to no avail so I’m delighted for him and he’s over the moon!

That's great news.

I'm finding the good weather this week has been great too, we cycled down to the phoenix park yesterday with a neighbor and it was a really nice day.

Looking back the header seems a bit grim. There's worse things than minding kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭noplacehere

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    That's great news.

I'm finding the good weather this week has been great too, we cycled down to the phoenix park yesterday with a neighbor and it was a really nice day.

Looking back the header seems a bit grim. There's worse things than minding kids!

True. But there are good days and bad days as a parent!!

Oh that sounds lovely! I had a cup of coffee while minding them out on the street yesterday and chatting to the neighbour, such a lift to talk to actual people! Weather more miserable looking today but definitely hoping it get out and about with them here

I bought clay, the old school stuff we used in primary school and they love it so I’ll break that out today I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

True. But there are good days and bad days as a parent!!

Oh that sounds lovely! I had a cup of coffee while minding them out on the street yesterday and chatting to the neighbour, such a lift to talk to actual people! Weather more miserable looking today but definitely hoping it get out and about with them here

I bought clay, the old school stuff we used in primary school and they love it so I’ll break that out today I think

We made playdoh a while back, it's pretty easily to do, flour, etc. It was fun.

Looking forward to the middle one getting back into a social peer group setting though. He's talking like Ronnie Drew these days. Can't wait for ecce to reopen.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I got the kids to read this morning for an hour, even though there's 2 days off. They might as well, it was lashing and and they couldn't go anywhere. After, both were sat down and shown how to tie shoe laces. 20 mins later, they were doing it with their eyes closed. Btw, they're 7 & 9.

I'm self employed, stocking vending machines, in the hospitality game. I don't see myself back to work 5 days a week till next year. So the schools not reopening doesn't bother me. No bus or child minder bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

Very hard balance work& children at home it did cross my mind to pack in my job but with so many out of work felt I should be thankful and do best hold onto it. But not sure how much longer I'll manage.
    Find it hard to motivate my children, the tablets we got in Sept for back to school is all they want.
    Would love if my children sat and read for an hour in the morning.
    Bright days are helping and covid situation improving so. I'm being hopeful

Advertisement