Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lots of BLUE SCRREN errors with Windows 10

• 18-02-2021 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

I was getting a lot of blue screen issues lately with one of my laptops lately and just thought I'd share a few things, but first off, I'm a technician and I've grown up with PC's since the first 386!!!
    Anyways, had a HP notebook laptop for over 10 years now, never a problem apart from the fantastic features I'm forced to take on by microsoft!! Sorry for the sarcasm....
    So only last year I changed my drive to an SSD and it made a big difference to the speed yet again.

With the adition of WIn 10 I was forced to take on it started to go down in speed yet again.
    I have to say, I think Microsoft is the ultimate manopoly in this world and its a bloody disgrace...I hate them....
    So lately I started getting blue screen errors for no reason...I did start to think it was my motherboard giving up the ghost but I found it fishy that sometimes i could boot into windows, thankfully I managed to back up things...
    So next day it simply refused to boot up , more blue screen errors and on the internet there seems to be an issue with these ok, drivers...not so sure...I've 30 years experience with windows OS and I'm extreemly synical with the stuff. XP was a great workhourse, it was the best OS they had...not so any more....
    Anyway, decided to downlaod Ubuntu and went through a bit of a learning curve, though well worth it...I've done away with windows, no problem with my laptop since.

I've loaded everything I possibly can to emulate some functions I need and its been great. My laptop now boots up in seconds, no errors , no crashes, nothing...
    I'm quite convinced that the sending and 'sharing' the problem and reports going to microsoft is quite sinister to be honest . I recon these blue screens happening with older laptops are NOT a coincidince ...

Well, I've moved from Microsoft and certainly will not be buying another thing from them.....

What are others experience on these blue screens....?

Comments

with such old hardware you're likely to be running into old driver issues

hardware that had drivers written for it in the XP/Vista era running over a decade later on windows 10

note the blue screen error code and look into it but there may well be no solution for it

When you consider all the generations of windows in the "modern era"

win xp / vista/ win 7 / win 8 / win 8.1 / win 10

it's not that surprising that there are going to be some issues with older hardware and compatibility

I find windows 10 pretty good tbh and couldn't go back to the UI of even win 7 now

I also couldn't go back personally to the terrible screens that older laptops have

most laptops would be expected to have a useful life of maybe 5 to 8 years, at a stretch, maybe a little more if your uses are truly basic undemanding ones and your cpu was not a poverty-spec level one at the time of purchase and an ssd and ram upgrade was possible.

less than 5 if it's a budget model segment laptop probably

electronics become obsolete over time - that's the way it goes and that is the business model

innovation produces it

fine if you have managed to keep your old laptop working on unix but it's not as if there are 0 driver issues there on Unix - depending on your laptop components you may have found that some component may have not worked correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

glasso wrote: »
    When you consider all the generations of windows in the "modern era"

win xp / vista/ win 7 / win 8 / win 8.1 / win 10

it's not that surprising that there are going to be some issues with older hardware and compatibility

I find windows 10 pretty good tbh and couldn't go back to the UI of even win 7 now

I also couldn't go back personally to the terrible screens that older laptops have

most laptops would be expected to have a useful life of maybe 5 to 8 years, at a stretch, maybe a little more if your uses are truly basic undemanding ones and your cpu was not a poverty-spec level one at the time of purchase and an ssd and ram upgrade was possible.

less than 5 if it's a budget model segment laptop probably

electronics become obsolete over time - that's the way it goes and that is the business model

innovation produces it

fine if you have managed to keep your old laptop working on unix but it's not as if there are 0 driver issues there on Unix - depending on your laptop components you may have found that some component may have not worked correctly

Dont agree, and have to say that 'the business model' you mention is there to keep the profits coming in ...
    The electronics can have a much longer lifetime, and it does, they just dont allow it ......
    Drivers I can handle if that was the point I was making but my issue was with the 'BLUE SCREENS' I was getting which went away after I changed to Ubuntu...I do have the odd issues ok , that I can handle, but not the complete shutdown in the case of the new updates from windows 10.

Laptops are perfectly able to last, its the gagantuan lengths of code they put into new versions of windows which slows the whole thing down....

Driver incompatibilities with windows 10 are what are causing the blue screens

The original hardware never got properly updated drivers rewritten for later versions of windows because the hardware is not made anymore

Microsoft doesn't write the drivers excepting the generic ones, the hardware makers do

Advertisement