Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldfinches gone ????

Options
  • 18-02-2021 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭

Would the cold and wet weather affect birds I have always had around 30 Goldfinches feeding every day but in the past week or so there has been a decline in visitors, would the snow and wet weather be responsible or have they gone feeding on natural food or have died due the recent conditions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

i normally only have one or two. i found they dissapeared during very cold spells but this morning i saw 6 on my feeder. never seen that many before.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Their numbers can vary a lot at this time of year because they're moving around a lot. I went from 2 or 3 Goldfinches here, to 12+ in recent days, and those 12+ are all new birds that weren't here before (I'm a licensed ringer, and these ones aren't ringed). So, you'll have Goldfinches back in the coming weeks, don't worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Plenty of finches around here, gold finches have always been my favorite!

There is a finch virus spreading at the moment, hopefully that has nothing to do with their disappearance!

https://birdwatchireland.ie/our-work/surveys-research/research-surveys/irish-garden-bird-survey/trichomoniasis-sick-finches/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

plenty round my way - east clare

but no bullfinches or greenfinches for me

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Not seen one since late October. Prior to that they were on the feeders from dawn to dusk. I got so used to hearing them whenever I was outside.

Hopefully they'll be back because I'm sitting on a small fortune in Niger seeds :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

They're back ! Just a small group of 5, but hopefully we'll get some decent numbers this year. I suspect lots of people have been feeding birds since Covid kicked off, so they are spoilt for choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Mine have started to come back over the past week, funny thing is they seem to have gone off the Niger seed and are mad on the Sunflower Hearts, don't care as long as they are ok lovely to see them and the odd row at the feeders.

Advertisement