Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online work all day is making me depressed

• 18-02-2021 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am doing a masters and have classes and assignments to do all day. I am living in front of a screen in the corner of my room. I know I am not unique in this but it's having a huge impact on me. I am so depressed and feel so hopeless and drained.

Anyone have any advice or feeling similar? I just feel so sad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭2 fast

<Snip> Please do not quote the entire post. It is unnecessary.

Its tough going! I found getting out for a walk in the morning/evening really helps it's just break the day and you dont feel like your living in your room... and just switching off all technology at a certain time and maybe reading or something else...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Are you doing ok with the assignments etc?
    If you're happy with the course you're doing then you need to factor in fresh air/exercise/contact with others(zoom or otherwise,).

A person would crack up online inside all day every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's very hard. I'm the same , working online for nearly a year now.

I get up and walk around outside for a few minutes every hour if I can. Tea breaks. Little treats here and there.

I do a 7 minute exercise thing at lunchtime, seems to help with the afternoon slump.

And I had to cut weeknight booze. Found even a beer with dinner had a mood effect the next day.

Do you have the opportunity to talk to people on the phone with the course?

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Everyone I've spoken to is finding this lockdown the hardest of them all -even the introverts who sailed through the other two. We got great weather for the first one, the second one we sucked it up because Christmas was the pay-off, but lockdown in January... it's tough. January is depressing anyway with the weather, you are usually broke after Christmas, your resolutions have dissolved into dust and the dark evenings mean you just want to huddle up and do feck all.

I've just started a 25 min exercise DVD in the last couple of days, timed for my usual tea-break time. I found that putting on the exercise gear when I got up meant I got in the mindset for exercising that way.

Right now it's too cold & wet for me to want to go outside to run so I'll stick to that and I've also a yoga app. When the weather gets better/restrictions allow I'll add in walking and running. I even stick on a favourite song and go dancing like a mad yoke around the room every hour or so when I feel like my eyes are glazing over.

Aside from physical exercise, are you in touch with your friends? Family? We are social creatures so lockdown and avoiding other people aren't our natural instincts.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

<Snip> Please do not quote the entire post. It is unnecessary.

I'm constantly in front of a screen but its either for work or for study so it can get a bit overwhelming.

I recommend trying to get out of the house for some exercise every day. It can really help with the mental health. Make sure you can eating ok as well and not over doing it with the booze.

Maybe you could try some mindfulness classes online as well. There should be some free ones.

• Advertisement

I have a few suggestions.

1. Make sure you ventilate your study area.
    2. Make sure your study area is tidy and well organised.
    3. Take a hour to exercise outdoors every day, even if it's just a walk. Listening to podcasts while doing this passes the time.
    4. Break your study sessions into 45 minute segments, with a 15 minute break between each one. Leave your study area for these breaks.
    5. Have a maximum period of study in each day, so 8 segments gives you a 9-5 workday. Don't study all night or all day, your brain must rest to absorb the new information.
    6. Take vitamin D supplements every day, they are great for mood.

I could go on, but I think these are good rules to work by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Hi op. I had a few breakdowns in the past year due to wfh.
    It was a challenging job and i worked with a very incompetent lady who thankfully left at xmas.
    The best approach to doing a masters is to do the minimum to get a handle on the topic you're studying and approach every assignment as a task with a beginning, middle and end. So routine like 9 to 5 with an hour for lunch and 5 mins per hour away from your laptop. no all nighters. Actually a shift like 8 to 12 and 2 to 5 is good, or eveb 9 til 2 and 5 til 7.whatever works and maximises day light.
    Find out what your lecturer is wants and regurgitate it back to them.
    You might not get first class honours but depending on the industry, most employers won't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Hi OP, I didn't have time to read all replies as I have an assignment due! It's definitely tough but a great tip I got (sorry if already posted above) is to have a fake commute. A walk around the block or pop to the shop before and after each time you sit down. It just separates work from home life. Good luck with your Masters, its a good time to be doing one, with time to give to it and an excellent qualification for after all this.

Hi there,

I was also studying for my masters this year but now finished and my partner is currently finishing their masters too. I understand exactly how you feel.

One thing that gets me through the days now is making a to do list every morning i wake up that includes self care and hobbies, otherwise i become really sluggish and depressed.

It is important to prioritise fun things for yourself on a daily basis. The first two lockdowns i was exercising a lot more, now ive stopped doing that because the weather is horrible but ive taken up doing other things like cooking new recipes, sewing, crafts, etc.
    I also started to learn irish again and made a bucket list of films/books i want to get through.

I do the to-do list in my notes app in my phone and everyday i can look back and say at least i did something that day. Time moves in a strange way during lockdown to it helps me big time.

This was mine whilst studying:

-Up/Shower/Breakfast
    -Work 9-11
    -Break
    -Work 11.30-1
    -Lunch (walk outside?)
    -Work 2-4.30
    -Dinner 6 (try new recipe? )
    -Activity (art/craft/reading/excercise/learn new skill) (this is most important part of day now as your investing time in yourself)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Anyone have any advice or feeling similar? I just feel so sad.

Feeling similar ....

Honestly ...just waiting for it to end now. I have no great cure sorry.

Just waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I go out for at least a 30 minute walk at lunch time everyday. It's essential.

I had to quit drinking and I'm thinking about staying off for a few months.

I have a book on cbt that I'm reading to try and get through a stressful work situation.

I try to meet with people online for chats and occasionally meet a friend for a walk as much as I can, social events are more spaced out now.

I have a friend who is using meditation and finding it helpful.

Achievable goals is the way to go and if you need an extension or help then ask for it, loads of people are going through the same thing.

Advertisement