Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Records of bids with estate agent

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

awec wrote: »
    This is a really common topic on here. Everyone views other bidders as "suspicious".

I would personally think that in the overwhelming majority of cases the bids are completely genuine and bidders are just having a hard time accepting that someone else is also very interested, pushing the price up past what they thought they'd get the property for.

Im wondering if there are other bidders, there seemed to be no interest, maybe a few floating around, then suddenly there are a few interested, and why does an autioneer who has a bidding platform, not go straight to that, what possible reason, imo, the initial bid didnt exist for sure, just to drum up interest and get things moving, whatever of what came after that, hard to tell imo, otherwise, why not allow bids on their paltform?

Graham wrote: »
    There is an unwritten law that states "any bid higher than yours must be fake".

Ok, then why wouldnt an agent use the platform they have to hand?

• Administrators Posts: 53,797 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

1874 wrote: »
    Im wondering if there are other bidders, there seemed to be no interest, maybe a few floating around, then suddenly there are a few interested, and why does an autioneer who has a bidding platform, not go straight to that, what possible reason, imo, the initial bid didnt exist for sure, just to drum up interest and get things moving, whatever of what came after that, hard to tell imo, otherwise, why not allow bids on their paltform?

Ok, then why wouldnt an agent use the platform they have to hand?

This happens all the time on here. Someone bids on a property that's been available for ages with no bids and they are thinking they've hit the jackpot, minimal interest so no bidding war and they'll get it for cheap. But then they get a surprise when someone starts bidding against them after they make their opening.

In reality there is a group of interested buyers all thinking about it for a long time, and it only takes 1 of them to start bidding to focus minds and a at least 1 other party decides they do want to counter.

The chances of the initial bid in your case being real are massive. The chances of it being fake are slim.

This happens all the time on here. Someone bids on a property that's been available for ages with no bids and they are thinking they've hit the jackpot, minimal interest so no bidding war and they'll get it for cheap. But then they get a surprise when someone starts bidding against them after they make their opening.

In reality there is a group of interested buyers all thinking about it for a long time, and it only takes 1 of them to start bidding to focus minds and a at least 1 other party decides they do want to counter.

The chances of the initial bid in your case being real are massive. The chances of it being fake are slim.

I get that most of that is likely and possible, except for the last paragraph, I dont think the chances of the initial bid being fake are slim, Id say its possible, at least 50:50, maybe even highly likely, so maybe the agent even moved things along. One way or the other, I have an approximate limit set already.

• Administrators Posts: 53,797 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I get that most of that is likely and possible, except for the last paragraph, I dont think the chances of the initial bid being fake are slim, Id say its possible, at least 50:50, maybe even highly likely, so maybe the agent even moved things along. One way or the other, I have an approximate limit set already.

It's not. The idea that EAs call prospective buyers up out of the blue with phantom bids is conspiracy theory stuff.

Yea they will exaggerate the interest, maybe try get you to hurry along, but if they tell you that someone has bid x euro then it's overwhelmingly likely that someone has actually bid x euro.

It's not. The idea that EAs call prospective buyers up out of the blue with phantom bids is conspiracy theory stuff.

Yea they will exaggerate the interest, maybe try get you to hurry along, but if they tell you that someone has bid x euro then it's overwhelmingly likely that someone has actually bid x euro.

Well, you are stating that like it is fact, unless you have some other information or stats, its no more valid than my opinion, you dont know anymore than I do, if anything said by an estate agent is true or not, but given the lack of transparency, Id say its a bit further from conspiracy than you are suggesting.
    Id say estate agents are well known to be slippery, you make them them out to be honest to a fault.

Why have a bidding platform but not use it? or even highlight its use or even say anything about it at all??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Well, you are stating that like it is fact, unless you have some other information or stats, its no more valid than my opinion, you dont know anymore than I do, if anything said by an estate agent is true or not, but given the lack of transparency, Id say its a bit further from conspiracy than you are suggesting.
    Id say estate agents are well known to be slippery, you make them them out to be honest to a fault.

Why have a bidding platform but not use it? or even highlight its use or even say anything about it at all??

When you make an accusation, the onus is on the accuser to back it up, have you any evidence that there are fake bids, or are you just guessing?

Dav010 wrote: »
    When you make an accusation, the onus is on the accuser to back it up, have you any evidence that there are fake bids, or are you just guessing?

Its not a Court case, Im stating my opinion that estate agents are devious slippery baxtards and are known to be and I was looking for opinions on how to deal with the process. Ive speculated that the process which isnt transparent already and is open to dishonesty, especially when the agents themselves act suspiciously, like having a bidding platform, tell you its down, dont show your bids below the asking, claim there are other bids, but dont highlight it on the bidding platform?

obviously if an agent was up to anything underhand, they'd keep it quiet, they are hardly going to email anyone proof of anything underhand, but I think there is enough suspicious behaviour to question their honesty, that seems to be part of the process.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Its not a Court case, Im stating my opinion that estate agents are devious slippery baxtards and are known to be

You might want to read the forum charter before digging any deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Its not a Court case, Im stating my opinion that estate agents are devious slippery baxtards and are known to be and I was looking for opinions on how to deal with the process. Ive speculated that the process which isnt transparent already and is open to dishonesty, especially when the agents themselves act suspiciously, like having a bidding platform, tell you its down, dont show your bids below the asking, claim there are other bids, but dont highlight it on the bidding platform?

obviously if an agent was up to anything underhand, they'd keep it quiet, they are hardly going to email anyone proof of anything underhand, but I think there is enough suspicious behaviour to question their honesty, that seems to be part of the process.

Thankfully the above post that “estate agents are devious slippery baxtards” wasn’t in reply to my post...otherwise I’d have to take a case of defamation against me personally as an estate agent.

While amused by the poster I fail to see the point of the thread. The only solution I believe for the op would be to move jurisdictions to somewhere like Germany where all bids are legally binding. There is regulation now and every estate agent is subject to review and audit by the psra.

Graham wrote: »
    You might want to read the forum charter before digging any deeper.

Instead of being so vague, would you care to be more specific and tell me where Ive breached something in the forum charter?
    Things Ive said, like, Im under the impression, its my opinion etc, where are you finding fault in something Ive said?
    Or someone doesnt like what Ive said, but wont challenge me publicly?

• Advertisement

Nothing to back it up then? Speculation indeed.

Instead of being so vague, would you care to be more specific and tell me where Ive breached something in the forum charter?
    Things Ive said, like, Im under the impression, its my opinion etc, where are you finding fault in something Ive said?

Your opinion is based on hot air and no factual basis. I’m not allowed to say trolling but something by any other name...

Thankfully the above post that “estate agents are devious slippery baxtards” wasn’t in reply to my post...otherwise I’d have to take a case of defamation against me personally as an estate agent.

While amused by the poster I fail to see the point of the thread. The only solution I believe for the op would be to move jurisdictions to somewhere like Germany where all bids are legally binding. There is regulation now and every estate agent is subject to review and audit by the psra.

So it was you, but you waded in with a public reply after you complained,
    You should definitely stick to the property business and not the legal advice business, because I didnt reply to you? did I? not only that, I dont believe that comment is defamatory as it wasnt made against anyone, ie not against a person in particular. I guess you dont like the more questionable aspects of the buying/selling business to be called out, ie the lack of transparency? or something else? So you think the buying/selling process is fairer and more transparent in Germany, thats interesting, I didnt ask about buying property in Germany, maybe Scotland would be closer to home. None of your business where I buy is it though.

And thread closed

And thread closed

You're moderating and making those calls, or you just have influence?

or Dont like your spurious legal opinion being questioned?

Yep reviewed your history on your contribution to 3 threads on this forum, also construction, covid, separation/ divorce all posts to antagonise people and seek attention..acute hpd disorder, good luck!

I'll try again.

Mod Note

read the forum charter before posting again. Pay particular attention to the section that begins "Bashing of particular demographics...."

Any further personal digs or backseat moderation from any posters will not go well.

Do not reply to this post.

Thanks

Yep reviewed your history on your contribution to 3 threads on this forum, also construction, covid, separation/ divorce all posts to antagonise people and seek attention..acute hpd disorder, good luck!

So, you dont like my posts on my experience with estate agent, you admit you are one, then you stalk my profile/posting history and now youre some kind of therapist?
    If you are antagonised maybe you should leave the thread, make yourself a cup of warm milk and go to bed.
    I will say, I have dissagree with some posers in one thread/forum and agreed with them in another, what I dont do, is follow them around and see what their posts are and start scolding them for other posts, if you want to reply in another thread with your disagreement with me, then you should do it there.
    I think we can take it you arent qualified to cast the opinions you have, now thats much closer to defamation than anything I said,

I would say thats an ad hominen, because you have started attacking me personally when you stopped being able to have anything to say about my posts.

So, you dont like my posts on my experience with estate agent, you admit you are one, then you stalk my profile/posting history and now youre some kind of therapist?
    If you are antagonised maybe you should leave the thread, make yourself a cup of warm milk and go to bed.
    I will say, I have dissagree with some posers in one thread/forum and agreed with them in another, what I dont do, is follow them around and see what their posts are and start scolding them for other posts, if you want to reply in another thread with your disagreement with me, then you should do it there.
    I think we can take it you arent qualified to cast the opinions you have, now thats much closer to defamation than anything I said,

I would say thats an ad hominen, because you have started attacking me personally when you stopped being able to have anything to say about my posts.

You can clear this up quickly by posting some detail which supports your allegation that EAs make fake bids. Anything at all, otherwise it’s just speculation which now stretches to three pages.

You can clear this up quickly by posting some detail which supports your allegation that EAs make fake bids. Anything at all, otherwise it’s just speculation which now stretches to three pages.

Well you stick to that, I responded to you and you ignored questions I raised,
    and it is getting on pages of a few posters taking exception and not answering certain things which are questionable practices, other posters replied without necessarily agreeing with me and gave opinions on how it could be more transparent to thats the way it is and set a limit, you and some others are taking exception, and you declined to respond to my legitimate questions, so if you're not happy, why keep going?

• Advertisement

Well you stick to that, I responded to you and you ignored questions I raised,
    and it is getting on pages of a few posters taking exception and not answering certain things which are questionable practices, other posters replied without necessarily agreeing with me and gave opinions on how it could be more transparent to thats the way it is and set a limit, you and some others are taking exception, and you declined to respond to my legitimate questions, so if you're not happy, why keep going?

I’m not taking exception, you are the one making the allegations, have you anything to support them, or is this just ranting for the sake of it?

It’s odd that people assume no one else would be interested in bidding and that when someone else does, it’s a “fake bid” orchestrated by a devious EA. It’s not like properties are plentiful at the moment or that there is a dearth of buyers.

I’m not taking exception, you are the one making the allegations, have you anything to support them, or is this just ranting for the sake of it?

Look, its not a court of law, I dont owe you an answer, I belive the estate agents actions are questionable, now there is no reason to act off unless there is something off, some of what was replied to me, I even said could be possible (or words to that effect), but I dispute the absolute fact that something couldnt be underhand, anyway, Im off to bed, Im not wasting anymore time replying to you.

Look, its not a court of law, I dont owe you an answer, I belive the estate agents actions are questionable, now there is no reason to act off unless there is something off, some of what was replied to me, I even said could be possible (or words to that effect), but I dispute the absolute fact that something couldnt be underhand, anyway, Im off to bed, Im not wasting anymore time replying to you.

Nada, zero, zilch.

Mod Note

as it appears nobody wants to discuss anything, thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement