Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adare Manor

Options
  • 18-02-2021 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi,

Is Adare Manor worth it? Looking to book for a golfing day out for a family members birthday. Looking to play in the summer and green fee is going to be 395euro plus 75euro for caddy. So 500euro all in pp.

I've no problem paying that as a once off post lockdown treat for myself also, but is there any other options out there for a good golfing trip in Ireland. Just want to ensure ive considered all options

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I'll put it this way to you. If you can afford it then it is 100% worth it. An incredible place that you will be glad you can say you have played it. Incomparable to anywhere in Ireland or Britain anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

As Miley said, it's a unique experience and if you can spare the funds you should.

Plenty of people will prefer the likes of RCD or Ballybunion which I understand but it's not a course/ facility where you'll regret having paid that money to play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Lordy, there's so much I could do with €500.
    Apart from around the house etc I could have 5 separate visits to Enniscrone, play the 18 holes and the 9 holes twice for a 36hole day and have a breakfast and lunch and a few squid to spare.
    Imagine that as days out in May, June, July, August and September.

Even if I could personally warrant the 500 smackers I would be so pissed if the weather was crap or I played crap.

Too many variables.....no to (paying for) Adare

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

You’d have to think that exclusive courses will be available again this summer for decent rates due to the American market restricted with travel into Ireland again.

Old Head last year €130 and spectacular on a good weather day.
    I’ve only ever played old Adare Manor and tbh I wouldn’t pay €500 for anywhere in this country for golf but if you can afford it go for it.
    If you can afford to pay that for golf go and enjoy it and just go an extra €130 and play old head too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

It would be a very special gift alright!

I bought a ticket for the pro-am there (I think it was about €50 -was due to be held last summer, but delayed now till next summer) To me this was a cheap way to get a look at the course before the Ryder cup and see what all the fuss is about.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

No round of Golf is worth 500 snots.

The reason why the price is huge is that he only wants really proper wealthy types playing golf there.

That will be all.

Move along now please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

value is in the eye of the beholder. if op is happy to drop the coin then its money well spent

IF i was to do it it would probably be as a stay over and blow the second foot off my leg while I am at it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Like anything else, if you have the money to spare and enjoy golf, why not?

Sounds like crazy money to me, but if i had it i'd definitely go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Beaulieu

Go for it as long as you can afford it - have paid "silly money" to play Pebble, Sawgrass & Valderamma.
    Still remember all 3 like they were yesterday. You only live once.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

it's an amazing course/experience to play but if I was spending 500 on a golf experience I'd look no further than:

https://www.ballybuniongolf.com/offers/tralee-ballybunion-stay-play/51-29122/

475, 3 great cousrses, 2 night B&B & 1 evening meal. did it last year, was some laugh & great few days golfing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Played it twice when I was in UL around early 2010s, so before JP bought it and redeveloped it for the Ryder Cup. It's certainly an excellent parkland, but no way I'd be paying €500 for the pleasure.

I'm sure the conditioning and all the little trimmings are top class now, it was always a high-class resort course, but it must really be another level now. Didn't play great, I'm sure if I birdied 18 I'd have much fonder recollections! :D

Agree with the previous poster that said that the €500 is mainly to keep the likes of me and the Kia Venga out! :p

But if money was no obstacle I'd be looking to play Old Head or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,117 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Played there last year and can honestly say it will be worth every penny. Thankfully I didn't have pay what you did but still I think if can afford it go for it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Crazy money to pay for 18 holes, so a 4 ball is 2k?

Imagine the weather was like today, you'd be sick.

Obviously if money is no issue fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

A lot depends on who the gift is for. My dad, for example, probably wouldn’t think I was wasting money money on him. Others wouldn’t be comfortable in Adare, given the ‘exclusive’ market it is aimed at.

Personally, I’d prefer a four ball with some good mates/family at say Headfort new, Baltray or similar with pints and a meal afterwards.

Played it twice when I was in UL around early 2010s, so before JP bought it and redeveloped it for the Ryder Cup. It's certainly an excellent parkland, but no way I'd be paying €500 for the pleasure.

I'm sure the conditioning and all the little trimmings are top class now, it was always a high-class resort course, but it must really be another level now. Didn't play great, I'm sure if I birdied 18 I'd have much fonder recollections! :D

Agree with the previous poster that said that the €500 is mainly to keep the likes of me and the Kia Venga out! :p

But if money was no obstacle I'd be looking to play Old Head or something like that.

To be fair the old course bears very little resemblance to the new version. Yes, the layout is almost the same but the greens, tees, rough, bunkers are of the highest quality imaginable. It is not an exaggeration to say that the fringes around the greens would be slicker than most greens I've played on.

There are well over 200 decent tracks in Ireland that you can play for under 50 quid if you shop around. Definitely over a 100 in the 50-100 price range that are substantially above average.

I played the Brabazon at the Belfry a few years ago. I had to queue for 20 mins at each tee box and the round cost me circa 100 sterling, it was a weekend. The layout was lovely, but the course was extremely busy. Divots everywhere, zero pitch repair going on, stud marks everywhere... I simply did not enjoy my round of golf. It took just under 6 hours to complete.

I think some of the more exclusive venues are learning that you can still survive whilst outpricing the wish wash. They don't want to be smothered in golfers to survive. They want golfers who are happy to drop 3 grand over a couple of nights in the Hotel, golf , dinner, overpriced whiskey, cuban cigars and so on.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    No round of Golf is worth 500 snots.

The reason why the price is huge is that he only wants really proper wealthy types playing golf there.

That will be all.

Move along now please.

What price do you think it should be?

It is a premium product. I'm not trying to be a cheerleader for the place but I have never witnessed anything like it. Now I would be someone who prefers links golf but you just have to appreciate the experience of playing Adare. I mean not many golf courses provide air to blow dirt off your shoes before you get onto the first tee.

I appreciate it is expensive and I don't think I'd fork out €500 for the privilege either but each to their own. As I said earlier, if you can afford it and won't miss the money then I can guarantee you won't regret it

What price do you think it should be?

It is a premium product. I'm not trying to be a cheerleader for the place but I have never witnessed anything like it. Now I would be someone who prefers links golf but you just have to appreciate the experience of playing Adare. I mean not many golf courses provide air to blow dirt off your shoes before you get onto the first tee.

I appreciate it is expensive and I don't think I'd fork out €500 for the privilege either but each to their own. As I said earlier, if you can afford it and won't miss the money then I can guarantee you won't regret it

Simply not 500 for me, far too much for one green fee. But I think that is exactly the market that Adare are trying to create. They don't want your average gang of 4 hanging around eating a steak sandwich after and what have you.

It is an exclusive resort for people who are happy to pay for that touch of exclusivity. I get it. They are not finished at the golf, they are staying a couple of nights and tasting the fine overpriced brandy.

I would be made up down in Fota Island or Carton House midweek. I could rationalise the spend. That would be a treat. I would be made up in Nuremore or the Slieve Russell or that organic place in Co Wicklow.

I mean lets be frank, there are some golfers getting annual membership fees for between 500 - 1,000 a grand a year, more or less. They are hardly happy blowing there annual golf budget on a wet and windy afternoon in Limerick?

500 is simply too much, but McManus knows it and that's the price.

IAMAMORON wrote: »

They are hardly happy blowing there annual golf budget on a wet and windy afternoon in Limerick?

Think you are taking Frank McCourt's artistic license a bit too much to heart there

Think you are taking Frank McCourt's artistic license a bit too much to heart there

lol, very good. But you know what I mean. I would hate to fork out any money and spend 4 hours in the rain... At 500 I would be seething.

There comes a point when you realise that there is a certain opportunity cost to spending 500 quid....

I know several couples who have spent a night or two in the Hotel, I get it. It would be a nice way to treat your partner, etc etc. It is supposed to be gorgeous and second to none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭JoeCole26

Thanks for all the feedback. The bottom line, if you can afford it and for the one off experience, go for it. Is a round of golf worth 500euro, that's another question.

Old Head and Fota Island over a weekend might be an option also. Imagine good weather is especially key for Old Head. I had a look at their green fees on their website and it says 375euro for high season and probably another 120euro for Fota.

Decisions, Decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the feedback. The bottom line, if you can afford it and for the one off experience, go for it. Is a round of golf worth 500euro, that's another question.

Old Head and Fota Island over a weekend might be an option also. Imagine good weather is especially key for Old Head. I had a look at their green fees on their website and it says 375euro for high season and probably another 120euro for Fota.

Decisions, Decisions.

Also, if the decision isn't pressing it may be worth keeping an eye on Donedeal/Adverts for vouchers.

I have picked up some great green fee deals on there over the years.

Giving away my secrets here but I simply have a "voucher" alert set up on both platforms.

I picked up two late last year which are good until after the summer. I know I've seen an Adare Manor one in the past but didn't purchase myself

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Beaulieu

Decisions, Decisions.

Do bear in mind that Old Head had deals last year running through July/Aug. Availed of same. Fabulous course! Stunning ..and I mean stunning scenery. Fota pops up ow and again on various pigsback etc type deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

slave1 wrote: »
    Lordy, there's so much I could do with €500.
    Apart from around the house etc I could have 5 separate visits to Enniscrone, play the 18 holes and the 9 holes twice for a 36hole day and have a breakfast and lunch and a few squid to spare.
    Imagine that as days out in May, June, July, August and September.

Even if I could personally warrant the 500 smackers I would be so pissed if the weather was crap or I played crap.

Too many variables.....no to (paying for) Adare

With €500 you'd have most of your yearly membership paid :-) well worth it even we only get 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Neewollah

Was one of the many who got to play the Old Head last year for the special 130 price. Had been on my bucket list for years but always wary of the circa 400 quid green fee as to whether it was worth it.

What an experience it was. We had a lovely sunny but windy day so it was a great challenge. Played brilliantly and won the money with 31 points!!!

My point is knowing the course as I've played it now I would definitely have payed 400 for it for a once off if I could afford it. Would be 100% worth the experience and even if it pissed rain you'd still enjoy it somewhat. Was in some condition.

I would say the same for Adare, if you can afford it go for it. I've had friends who played it last year who also played the Old head and they were even left more speechless by Adare!!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Like everyone else...why not if can afford it.

Nothing new here

Played it 2019, it is something else. Layout is very similar to “old version” but way I saw it was very playable/enjoyable (I’m a high handicapper) up to the greens...then it was mayhem. Could be back and forth on and around the greens for quite a few shots. Probably best parkland I’ve played.

But

Played old head (130 deal again) and Tralee last year. My word, now that was an experience. Absolutely outstanding. Would definitely put these ahead of Adare.

But

Thinking about it I may be biased because my club is (what I consider) a decent parkland course so Adare wasn’t a “lot different” whereas links was.

If golf is your “thing” and you can afford it just do it. You only live once and we all need a treat at the end of this nightmare.

Go for it. A day to remember I’m sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Beaulieu wrote: »
    Do bear in mind that Old Head had deals last year running through July/Aug. Availed of same. Fabulous course! Stunning ..and I mean stunning scenery. Fota pops up ow and again on various pigsback etc type deals.

They also had the suites available at Old Head for 250 a night per couple, which i think is a substantial discount from what they normally would be.

I think for the price on Adare, it is a premium service, the Rolex of golf courses in Ireland if you like. I would never pay it myself, could get a round in probably 3 exceptional links course for the same price, but at the same time i would love to play it. I also said i would never go over 100 for a green free but paid 130 and 150 for Old Head and Portrush last year. So never say never i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

Decisions, Decisions.

Ring them both and you'll get a better rate than that.

Not sure where you're from, Joe, but if you're thinking of Old Head/Fota I'd think about Cork Golf Club too. Beautiful track.

• Advertisement
Advertisement