Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smelly bathroom....

• 18-02-2021 4:09pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We have an internal bathroom in our bungalow and have been experiencing quite a few issues. We have 2 bathrooms.

We have a biocycle type tank outside and replaced the motor last year, we also emptied the tank last year as we noticed the toilet in the inner bathroom was backing up.
    Since then it has backed up again earlier this year and we got someone to come out and clean the pipes and make sure the tank wasn't backed up. The tank was fine but the pipes were clogged and were sorted

We are now experiencing quite horrible smells in that bathroom that I don't seem to be able to resolve. I've been using drain cleaners and some sachets to put in the toilet, which seem to take away the smell briefly but then it returns. The toilet also seems to clog quite easily and the water backs up.

Is there anything I can do to sort it. I'm just a bit reluctant to get a plumber in at the moment if I can avoid it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Redriddick

angeldaisy wrote: »
    We have an internal bathroom in our bungalow and have been experiencing quite a few issues. We have 2 bathrooms.

We have a biocycle type tank outside and replaced the motor last year, we also emptied the tank last year as we noticed the toilet in the inner bathroom was backing up.
    Since then it has backed up again earlier this year and we got someone to come out and clean the pipes and make sure the tank wasn't backed up. The tank was fine but the pipes were clogged and were sorted

We are now experiencing quite horrible smells in that bathroom that I don't seem to be able to resolve. I've been using drain cleaners and some sachets to put in the toilet, which seem to take away the smell briefly but then it returns. The toilet also seems to clog quite easily and the water backs up.

Is there anything I can do to sort it. I'm just a bit reluctant to get a plumber in at the moment if I can avoid it.

Have you an unused shower or bath in there?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Redriddick wrote: »
    Have you an unused shower or bath in there?

we've a bath that's not used because there's a leak from the pipe leading from the plug hole

we've a bath that's not used because there's a leak from the pipe leading from the plug hole

Wondering if the smell may be coming from that.
    Sometimes if a bath, sink or shower are not used then the water in the trap evaporates and then the smell can come through

Sometimes if a bath, sink or shower are not used then the water in the trap evaporates and then the smell can come through

it's worth a try, cheers, fingers crossed

That seems to have done the trick. Thanks again for your help

• Advertisement

That seems to have done the trick. Thanks again for your help

Excellent, you will have to put water in the trap every so often if the bath is not used.
    Glad you got it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭fulanoquetal

Excellent, you will have to put water in the trap every so often if the bath is not used.
    Glad you got it sorted.

Or some vegatable oil - won't evaporate

Advertisement