Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know what this is in back garden?

Options
  • 18-02-2021 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask bit im trying to figure out what this slug/larvae type thing is.

I've noticed it the last couple of weeks on the walls in the back garden, also crawls up the back door as well. Only see them at night time.

They are about an inch long and it's like a cross between a caterpillar, slug, maggot/larvae thing. Needless to say I'm not a fan but more importantly I'd rather sort the issue before the grow into something else...or become a bigger problem.

Assume they are coming from the back garden? It's a year old garden and has issues with pooling rainwater so wondering is that part of the issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I've seen them before but always assumed they were slugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Looks like a leather jacket

I've only ever seen leather jackets in the earth, but now you mention it...can they climb like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Madd002

Yep their leather jackets, I nearly cried when I got these first as I didn't know what they were although mine were in summer 2011, hundreds of them came from lawn onto concrete driveway at night frightened the beejayus outta me. then they were all around the edges of the house, in the end I swept them all up and shoveled them into a bucket of scalding hot water and salt. you could actually hear them in the grass sounds likes a fizzing noise.

Well! You learn something new...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

The photos show a smooth body with a mucous film, typical of a slug. Why say they are leatherjackets which have a ridged body, live in the soil, pupate there and emerge as 'daddy longlegs??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

I think they could be a type of cut worm(larvae of moths) and they may be trying to avoid getting drowned in the ground by the heavy rain we are getting currently. Encouraging natural predators like birds and ground beetles in your garden should help sort the issue.

Ah, apparently you don't necessarily learn anything new...:D

Advertisement