Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Experience after buying a house

Options
  • 19-02-2021 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Just starting a new thread about houses/Apartments to know their experience after owning their home. Good / bad . Please share any experience that you would have had.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

fido_dido wrote: »
    Just starting a new thread about houses/Apartments to know their experience after owning their home. Good / bad . Please share any experience that you would have had.

Bought a house on December after around 3 years of looking. In the end we got our wish list so it feels like it was worth it. But it didn’t feel like that when we in the thick of it of bidding, waiting and then being outbid. We didn’t realise the stress of it all until it was over and we were in the house. Have a close family member starting the process now and I feel for them.

Also realise I’m spending less time in this forum and more in the DIY section

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

Probably not the target of your thread, but to help kick it off -

I've owned my home for about a week and a half now :pac:
    The leak from the roof/chimney is getting worse by the day, along with a host of new damp patches, but the sheer delight in owning my lovely little house is a good distraction from my worsening damp.

Like the previous poster, I'll probably be spending more time in the DIY forum from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,777 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have had my house for about 7 years now.
    1930s terrace....it was a lot of work initially...single glazing...no insulation...issue with the chimney, electrics on the outside of the wall. The garden was horrendous like something out of a Tim Burton film.
    Put a lot of work into it, I would be ok with DIY my dad is a plumber so spent some time on building sites growing up.
    Getting a stove made a big difference as well.
    You are always doing something small, even if it is cosmetic (in middle of changing flooring downstairs currently) but you don't mind it because if is your own.
    My top tip is always get at least 3 quotes for any jobs, oh and definitely ask friends for recommendations.
    I lived in apartments for about the last ohhh 18 years. Give me a good solid house any day!
    I'd say will trade up in next 2 or 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

fido_dido wrote: »

It's great owing your own place, you're going to have some problems, like leaks and stuff but that's just part of being a homeowner. My biggest worry would be neighbors from hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Big plus is not stressing on when your home was going to be sold or rent put up.

As we started in 2011 we got no rent reliefs, as we couldn't afford to buy new we missed out on help to buy but all in all we are in the plus and happy as we now have a 4 bed, garden front and rear and can do what the fcuk we like to the place without question.

Painted, looked after previous rentals and even questioned as to why we didnt ask, now I'm not talking pink, we painted like for like and 3 coats on the ceiling it was that bad.

Yes there is the stress to keep up payments but that was there for renting.

I find I can breathe with ease and we are so much better off, cheaper mortgage then rent too.

Maintenance, issues, replacement of goods etc.... It's yours at the end..... That's the difference in working and staying on the scratch

• Advertisement
Advertisement