Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garden fence

• 19-02-2021 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am currently renting a house which is split into 2 apartments. I'm on the ground floor. We are sharing the garden and I am looking to divide the garden. The area is i am looking to take is 8m by 6.5m. Can anyone suggest a cheap but sturdy design to provide privacy but not cause too much damage to the garden? The landlord has said it is OK to do. Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Nice idea chief, but I think adding a solid screen to that fencing would cause problems with wind loads, because the legs aren't long enough.

In other words, the whole thing would fall over in a storm.

I can imagine a design with two well braced posts and high tension cable between them, and then hang the screen from the cable. That way in a storm the screen just lifts to let the wind through. But that would take some more DIY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

If it is all a grass lawn... I'd be inclined to just buy a few round fence posts and drive them a foot into the ground. Then maybe a few lengths of 2*1 and the screening from above attached to that.

Minimal damage to the lawn when removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Lumen wrote: »
    Nice idea chief, but I think adding a solid screen to that fencing would cause problems with wind loads, because the legs aren't long enough.

In other words, the whole thing would fall over in a storm.

I can imagine a design with two well braced posts and high tension cable between them, and then hang the screen from the cable. That way in a storm the screen just lifts to let the wind through. But that would take some more DIY.

Ah sure you could fill the feet with concrete, that should hold them down :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I am currently renting a house which is split into 2 apartments. I'm on the ground floor. We are sharing the garden and I am looking to divide the garden. The area is i am looking to take is 8m by 6.5m. Can anyone suggest a cheap but sturdy design to provide privacy but not cause too much damage to the garden? The landlord has said it is OK to do. Thanks for your help

Has the other tenant giving permission? Does his lease not give home access to the garden , all be it a shared space?

• Advertisement
Advertisement