Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNA progression to SEN teaching

Options
  • 19-02-2021 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Has anyone made a move from SNA to teaching....just wondering what the best route would be?

Hibernia appears to be the quickest route but I’m only qualified to QQ1 L6 and would need L7 to apply.
    Would I be better doing L7 early childhood education and then H Dip in early education? Would this be sufficient to work in special Ed school or only early years setting?

Any thoughts welcomed ☺️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ulsen

I think the route you are looking at would allow you to work in early year settings. If you wanted to work in a special education school you would need a primary or post primary teaching qualification. Primary is 4yrs, Post primary can take between 4-6 years. Many teachers have additional qualifications in special education, I work in an ASD class in post primary, so in all - its been 4 years to degree, 1 yr for teaching qualification(now 2yrs), 2 yrs for a postgraduate diploma and M.Ed in Special Education. It can be done, I've worked with many SNA's who retrained as teachers, it just takes time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

If you do the Montessori degree with St Nicholas college you can then teach in a Special Ed school if you want to go that route and dont need the Irish. Or I think you may be able to teach Special Ed in a mainstream school too but not 100% on that part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

youandme13 wrote: »
    If you do the Montessori degree with St Nicholas college you can then teach in a Special Ed school if you want to go that route and dont need the Irish. Or I think you may be able to teach Special Ed in a mainstream school too but not 100% on that part.

This option won't be available to anyone registering with the TC after 2023.

Advertisement