Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A chimney re-build - how much? Another options?

Options
  • 19-02-2021 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi. Not sure if this is correct place to put this so apologies in advance.
    Context: 20 year old semi-D house chimney issue. Bought two years ago.

Noticed moisture in attic near the chimney - wet chimney Block from time to time, and got home insurance to send out roofer who said as the chimney (outside above the roof) has hairline cracks, the only option is to knock it down and rebuild it. The wind is blowing in water through these cracks.

Notwithstanding that I understand this is a ultimate solution, surely there are other alternatives? I asked about sealing the cracks and he said he could but likely, it'll happen again in future. I don't doubt this for a second but has anyone ever had hairline cracks on their chimney and filled them up and painted chimney or received any other advice? Instead of rebuilding the entire thing! If you had to rebuild the chimney how much did it cost, ballpark figure?

In meantime I'm waiting for insurance company to get in touch to see what they think. But I will ask another roofer for their opinions.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is your chimney separate from your neighbour ?
    Have you looked at the concrete slab on top, it cracks and separates from the flue, allowing water in..
    Anyway I would face it with cement board, glued on and then the accompanying plastic mesh put all the way around, corner beads and a bit of plaster, 2 or 3 hours work tops

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 masterp

Is your chimney separate from your neighbour ?
    Have you looked at the concrete slab on top, it cracks and separates from the flue, allowing water in..
    Anyway I would face it with cement board, glued on and then the accompanying plastic mesh put all the way around, corner beads and a bit of plaster, 2 or 3 hours work tops

Chimney is shared between neighbour and I. You're probably spot on about the slab on top! I am only viewing from ground level though. That's exactly what I was thinking a roofer/builder could do, fill cracks, place board on chimney and plaster it. Might look a bit bulkier but cheaper than knocking the whole thing.

I do need to speak with neighbour, see are they having any issues. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

masterp wrote: »
    Chimney is shared between neighbour and I. You're probably spot on about the slab on top! I am only viewing from ground level though. That's exactly what I was thinking a roofer/builder could do, fill cracks, place board on chimney and plaster it. Might look a bit bulkier but cheaper than knocking the whole thing.

I do need to speak with neighbour, see are they having any issues. :)

They may not even be aware.
    No need to knock it unless its see through!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement