Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approx Cost Spur For Boiler

Options
  • 19-02-2021 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Hi, anyone advise what I can expect to pay for a fused spur to be installed at gas boiler - it doesn't have one and on last service RGI guy said it will fail on next inspection without it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dred.

pm1977x wrote: »
    Hi, anyone advise what I can expect to pay for a fused spur to be installed at gas boiler - it doesn't have one and on last service RGI guy said it will fail on next inspection without it.

A fused spur wouldn't cost much to fit.,.maybe 60 all in just for that

There would be some testing involved and checking everything is setup correctly too which will add to cost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated, had no idea of the ballpark.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated, had no idea of the ballpark.

It will depend , I don't work on gas

It depends on the controls and the wiring

For instance if you're trying to isolate the supply beside the boiler it could be that there's a permanent supply going to it,.so you can't just fit a DP spur there

Dred. wrote: »
    It will depend , I don't work on gas

It depends on the controls and the wiring

For instance if you're trying to isolate the supply beside the boiler it could be that there's a permanent supply going to it,.so you can't just fit a DP spur there

I can only kill power to the boiler by tripping the switch at the circuit board (which is a smaller one to the main board, just for kitchen extension and garage).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Is this work outside the permitted works for a RGI?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

Wearb wrote: »
    Is this work outside the permitted works for a RGI?

The BordGais boiler service guy said I needed an electrician to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

pm1977x wrote:
    The BordGais boiler service guy said I needed an electrician to do it.

Id suspect you'd pay at least 100 euro to supply and fit a spur. Could be as high as 150 euro Inc vat

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Id suspect you'd pay at least 100 euro to supply and fit a spur. Could be as high as 150 euro Inc vat

Could be ya,.mine was rural pricing for 30 minutes work, nothing extra

Night even be too low at that

Dred. wrote:
    Could be ya,.mine was rural pricing for 30 minutes work, nothing extra

30 minutes work could be 45 minutes there & another 45 minutes back. Time in electric wholesalers you could be in the 3rd hour. Spur & back box is around 10 euro.

I doubt you will get a qualified electrician anywhere in the country to do this for less than 100. We don't talk about nixers and "cash" jobs on boards so we are talking a legitimate business that pays their taxes.

30 minutes work could be 45 minutes there & another 45 minutes back. Time in electric wholesalers you could be in the 3rd hour. Spur & back box is around 10 euro.

I doubt you will get a qualified electrician anywhere in the country to do this for less than 100. We don't talk about nixers and "cash" jobs on boards so we are talking a legitimate business that pays their taxes.

Drama queen much,

1.5 hr. drive and an hour in the wholesalers purchasing the spur

• Advertisement

Dred. wrote:
    1.5 hr. drive and an hour in the wholesalers purchasing the spur

No you are right. All tradesmen wake up & their van is magically filled with stock overnight. They do all of their work in their next door neighbours house.

I live in Dublin 5. My first job today was Greystones. That's over an hour driving before I did my "30 minute" job that actually turned into a 60 minute job but I quoted before I got there.

No you are right. All tradesmen wake up & their van is magically filled with stock overnight. They do all of their work in their next door neighbours house.

I live in Dublin 5. My first job today was Greystones. That's over an hour driving before I did my "30 minute" job that actually turned into a 60 minute job but I quoted before I got there.

I could be off, I was basing the price on my 15 yrs experience as a rural REC which is going back a bit

The spurs and box, a tradesman will have those in stock

They are bread and butter items, you don't travel to the wholesalers for those, you keep a stock of basic items .

**That's for basic fitting of a spur inline , there's no guarantee that's all the job entails at all

I'll leave it there. OP has gotten a rough idea of what to expect to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Is there an existing switch in place? (i.e. it'll likely just be a swap over in that case).

astrofool wrote: »
    Is there an existing switch in place? (i.e. it'll likely just be a swap over in that case).

No switch, it is next to a socket though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

My advice would be to run a separate circuit for the heating. It has to be rcd protected and it’s better to be on a dedicated circuit. The gas boiler and pipes should be bonded also so it may be practicable to run both together.

I wouldn’t be connecting to a socket circuit as if there’s an issue with sockets tripping then it’ll take out your heating also

Advertisement