Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding Bank Fees & Charges

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭jeffk

Well if you want no charges then us the money manager is the way to go, dark ages when comes to apps etc, but its free

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭as.eirinn

I have PTSB with debit card-great app-website etc, I use EBS for nothing other than lodged a few quid to have a back up current acc'. I use Explorer current acc' with ptsb which costs e6 per month-cashback is 50 contactless transactions per month at 10c per tap which is e5 cashback so it equates to e1 per month for fees. I have KBC but hardly use that anymore for obvious reasons. hope this helps.

i know some will fid it petty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

So EBS are the only bank that don't have charges on a joint/normal account? Guess we'll have to move to them from KBC. N26 for personal banking is great but they don't have a joint account. Desperate lack of competition here compared to the UK.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I moved to EBS from BoI. Their Customer Service is unrivalled. However, there are a couple of negatives in the conditions of their basic account: 1.They need lots of notice (in writing or in person, and min 24 working hours) before they change settings (e.g. increase your limits for one transaction); 2. Their limits are much lower. 3. You can't change your PINs to something else, but you can request to have them reset. 4. You can't add a credit card as beneficiary, their fields are much shorter and half the data would be missing. 5. You can't make future-dated payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭billyhead

I'm with EBS. I have been with them the last 6 years and although their online banking is very basic it suits me fine. Their customer service is very good to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

1.They need lots of notice (in writing or in person, and min 24 working hours) before they change settings (e.g. increase your limits for one transaction); 2. Their limits are much lower.

Any ideas what the default limits are in these instances?

Would agree with others, great that EBS is free banking and theyve good customer service but they do have some stickler rules to navigate

Has anyone any experience with using an EBS card abroad? Are they like Ulster in as soon as they see an attempted withdrawal they will lock down you account presuming it is fraud?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The trick is don't use your EBS card abroad. Use a Curve card tied to your EBS card instead.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

IIRC they were about half those of BoI.

"The maximum aggregate amount that may be withdrawn from an Account in a one day period subject to condition 21 and condition 42:

19.1. using your Card at an ATM is €600;

19.2. using your Card for purchases at Retail Terminals including Cashback Transactions or for purchases made online or by telephone is €2,000;

19.3. over-the-counter in cash is €1,300, unless alternative arrangements have been made at an EBS office;

19.4. by Online Transfer is €5,000; and

19.5. by Direct Debit, Credit Transfer or Standing Order is the amount(s) specified in the relevant mandate(s).

There may also be other limits such as the number of times you can use your Card in one day or the combined value of transactions you can use your Card for in one day. These limits, as with all limits, are subject to change. You can find out more information by contacting us, however we won’t always be able to confirm the amount of each limit due to security reasons. You can also contact us to agree spending limits for using your Card online, subject to our other applicable limits."

"21. Restrictions may apply to the number and amount of withdrawals at certain ATMs and Retail Terminals, for example, the maximum amount of cash permitted to be withdrawn from an Account in each Cashback Transaction is €100 and may be lower at certain Retail Terminals"

"42. In some circumstances, you may need permission from EBS or our agents to permit a particular transaction which exceeds the transaction limits set out elsewhere in these Conditions. The granting of this authorisation is at EBS’ discretion and has the effect of reducing the available credit on the Account. "

Full T&Cs

Fees and charges

3 is possible at an ATM, unless you mean the PIN for internet banking.

4 is entirely possible, once you have your bank's credit card IBAN details (it's probably on your statement) and use your card's 16 digit number as the reference. I pay my Ulster Bank credit card directly from EBS this way.

In that case, it would be great if EBS Customer Service were told about it, when I enquired about it they told me they had a request open with the techies to make one of the fields longer because they had other customers who said they had the same problem - I was told you can currently either type the IBAN or the C/C number...

In your case, have you set it up as a bill to pay or as a SEPA beneficiary?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I ran into a similar issue trying to pay my AIB credit card from my credit union account (the bill payment details they have are out of date or something). So I just manually set it up as a regular SEPA payment using the correct IBAN and my 16-digit card number as reference and it works perfectly.

SEPA with the cc number as the reference. Try it with a 1c transaction first to ensure it works

Thank you, I'll try that.

Advertisement