If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat box - sky

Options
  • 19-02-2021 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

Hi 
    I have a sky Q box and am looking to move to Freesat. If i buy the 1TB freesat box, can i just plug in the 2 sky satellite cables to the new box and work away? also I read online that these boxes now have an amazon prime app - can you confirm this and that the apps work and the box software for ROI customers.

Thanks

Comments

okedoke wrote: »
    Hi 
    I have a sky Q box and am looking to move to Freesat. If i buy the 1TB freesat box, can i just plug in the 2 sky satellite cables to the new box and work away? also I read online that these boxes now have an amazon prime app - can you confirm this and that the apps work and the box software for ROI customers.

Thanks
    I hope the lovely people at richer sounds won't mind me replying
    If the dish was installed with the sky Q box,you will need to change the lnb on the dish
    The sky Q lnb is incompatible with anything else unfortunately
    That wasn't the case with the old sky plus lnb's
    If a freesat box has an amazon prime app,it will work once the box is connected to your broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Thanks Auntie
    I read a few places that the most recent versions of the freesat boxes (the 4K ones) are compatible with the sky q lnb

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Thanks Auntie
    I read a few places that the most recent versions of the freesat boxes (the 4K ones) are compatible with the sky q lnb
    Thanks for the post okedoke, and your response AuntieSnow.

You're both right, the SkyQ signal uses wideband LNB but the new Freesat UHD4X boxes will support wideband according to their specifications!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

You're both right, the SkyQ signal uses wideband LNB but the new Freesat UHD4X boxes will support wideband according to their specifications!

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David - so just to confirm before I buy
    - it is plug and play with sky q cables and
    - Netflix and Amazon apps and software updates work in ROI

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David - so just to confirm before I buy
    - it is plug and play with sky q cables and
    - Netflix and Amazon apps and software updates work in ROI
    Hi okedoke,

The Freesat boxes should work with a SkyQ dish according to the specs on Freesats website, however once you connect a Freesat box to the internet in ROI you will lose the channels as they are IP specific!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Hi okedoke,

The Freesat boxes should work with a SkyQ dish according to the specs on Freesats website, however once you connect a Freesat box to the internet in ROI you will lose the channels as they are IP specific!

Kind regards

David

Hi David
    Lose the satellite channels or the internet channels (bbc player etc?)

Hi okedoke,

Kind regards

David

Hi David
    Lose the satellite channels or the internet channels (bbc player etc?)
    Hi Okedoke,

That's pretty much it. If you enter a UK postcode when tuning you'll get the channels but once you connect it to the internet it will find your IP location and block the channels.

Kind regards

David

Thanks David
    I’ll leave it then thanks - hadn’t heard that about freesat boxes before

If it helps my tv is freesat,has the amazon App and it works
    I honestly dont think that apps available in RoI will disappear just because you have not got a UK ip address
    Its up to the app themselves,their creator and owners to control such things,I would think

There is a forum on boards that deals with fresat techie stuff that can confirm or deny
    I suggest asking there before not buying a nice piece of kit

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Do freesat have mini boxes like sky Q?
    The problem with replacing Sky Q is that they only wire run cables to 1 point.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Do freesat have mini boxes like sky Q?
    The problem with replacing Sky Q is that they only wire run cables to 1 point.
    Hi Ted1,

None that we would stock unfortunately!

We would only have the stand alone freesat boxes.

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Kind regards

David

AuntySnow wrote: »
    If it helps my tv is freesat,has the amazon App and it works
    I honestly dont think that apps available in RoI will disappear just because you have not got a UK ip address
    Its up to the app themselves,their creator and owners to control such things,I would think

There is a forum on boards that deals with fresat techie stuff that can confirm or deny
    I suggest asking there before not buying a nice piece of kit

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Thanks Auntie - I asked on that forum and it seems the satellite channels don’t disappear if you connect to the internet (according to a poster anyway)

Thanks Auntie - I asked on that forum and it seems the satellite channels don’t disappear if you connect to the internet (according to a poster anyway)

Thats what I was thinking
    What will happen is itv player etc wont work (without a smart dns provider) but that was always the case
    This certainly wouldnt stop me

AuntySnow wrote: »

Thats what I was thinking
    What will happen is itv player etc wont work (without a smart dns provider) but that was always the case
    This certainly wouldnt stop me
    I'll double check on this as well however that was my understanding of the Freesat boxes compatibility in ROI!

I'll get back to you asap.

Kind regards

David

Just to confirm: I bought the box and set it up. Both the satellite channels and streaming apps work in ROI

(Very fast postage btw!)

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Just to confirm: I bought the box and set it up. Both the satellite channels and streaming apps work in ROI

(Very fast postage btw!)
    Hi Okedoke.

Thanks for letting us know you are up and running :)

I we can help in any way in future please let us know.

Again thanks for the business we really do appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Hiya I'm interested in the Freesat box but unsure whether to go for 500gb or 1tb , what's your best price on each, thanks in advance!

Hiya I'm interested in the Freesat box but unsure whether to go for 500gb or 1tb , what's your best price on each, thanks in advance!
    Thanks for the post ActingDanClarke!

The best I would have on those Freesat boxes would be our web prices at the moment I'm afraid as I don't have anything to play with on those particular items! I only have the 1Tb in stock at the moment though:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204855-freesat-uhd4x-1000-1tb-freesat-hd-recorder-1tb-hard-drive-pvr.aspx

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

The best I would have on those Freesat boxes would be our web prices at the moment I'm afraid as I don't have anything to play with on those particular items! I only have the 1Tb in stock at the moment though:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204855-freesat-uhd4x-1000-1tb-freesat-hd-recorder-1tb-hard-drive-pvr.aspx

Kind regards

David
    Thought you might be restricted alright! I'll pm you 

Kind regards

David
    Thought you might be restricted alright! I'll pm you 
    I'll get back to your PM asap!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Original poster here. Very happy with the freesat box but I’ve lost the control! Do you sell remote controls for these ?

Original poster here. Very happy with the freesat box but I’ve lost the control! Do you sell remote controls for these ?
    Hi okedoke,

Unfortunately we don't have remotes for them separately.

Freesat have a direct number though so you may be able to get a spare directly through them:

0345 313 0051

Let me know if you have any issues!

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.