Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to lay railway sleepers in garden

Options
  • 19-02-2021 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all, any simply ideas on how I can secure railway sleepers to lawn for a raised flower bed. Thinking of doing a height of three sleepers on the side. Picture of ideas would great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Is it for a raised flower bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭skulltown

Is it for a raised flower bed?

Hi, Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

skulltown wrote: »
    Hi, Yes

One tip is to lay them on a layer of stones otherwise they'll rot faster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Yeah definitely recommend a layer of stones. Then just you timber batons on the inside to hold them together. Something like 3x2 or 2x2 should work perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I also used ryebar and did 3 holes in each and dropped sleeper down on each one for added support.Watch out for chew holes from foxes as they made a den through mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

greasepalm wrote: »
    I also used ryebar and did 3 holes in each and dropped sleeper down on each one for added support.Watch out for chew holes from foxes as they made a den through mine.

Did you seal the rebar holes at the top when you were done? I'm about to do similar and I'm wondering what to fill the hole with to prevent rotting inside the sleeper. Any pics for inspiration?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭greasepalm

That long ago possibly not as that bed was very dry with been at end of garden and big over hanging trees and could not grow stuff in the bed.
    Now the neighbour has removed all the trees and the garden has light again so i might do something again.

Advertisement