Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hunting with Covid.

• 19-02-2021 8:55pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not having it but with it still causing lockdowns.

Its fine within 5km and with the news of another 9 weeks extension bringing us to the end of April, what are the chances we'll see relaxations by the new season?

I missed all last year due to national and local lockdowns (all my permissions are in other counties) and the news said that while some lessening of restrictions may be coming it won't apply to restaurants, bars, hair dressers, and a host of other places. Even if it goes to level three how many, like me, will be still unable to go hunting?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

At this stage I’m just hopeful I’ll get some freedom for the fishing season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

Absolutely ridiculous that a person cannot travel, regardless how far, and partake in solitary sport like hunting or fishing. But the opening of schools is ok. Beggars belief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I'm the same, suburban dweller, all permissions outside of the county, let alone 5Km. I have traveled for pest control and have been stopped and put the 'just cause' to the test, no bother far. But as for my Coilte lease I haven't availed of that since the fines were introduced.

I'm a certified pessimist and am not holding out much hope for the 21/22 hunting seasons.......

......so any relaxation of restrictions will be a positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I suppose the only "hunting" folks will be doing anyway post-April will be vermin control for farmers and that is already an exemption so the 5k rule won't be an issue

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Same boat, mostly.
    I do some pest controlling for farms around me, but beyond that been missing the range & perms pretty badly(outside the county, well outside the 5km).

Honestly I dunno when these moronic restrictions will lift sufficiently, given the announcement today that it'll be May before significant restrictions are relaxed.

But let's be honest, we are ~50 weeks into 6 weeks to flatten the curve and save the health service. :rolleyes:
    I don't see it changing in a massive way in 2021 either.

The gov has done a sterling job in repeatedly trying to nail jelly to the wall, and there is no concrete end in sight. No lessons have been learned either, so the gov will continue as they have been, slowly getting more and more restrictive & authoritarian in the misguided belief it will work.
    Not that they have a concrete definition of "working", since they have shot down a zero covid island(stupid & impractical idea anyway), and have made no other noise about an actual objective/number/figure/etc which would indicate we will reopen.

One of my nagging concerns is if this whole fiasco turns into a reason to not renew licences.
    A la "Oh you can't go to the range now so you have no need of a firearm licensed for target shooting. Sure just re-apply when things open up." :mad:

I doubt that'd happen, but then again a year ago I didn't think all the muppetry of 2020 would happen :P

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Richard308

We are all sick of restrictions. But if we give in now it will be a free for all. Most on here would adhere to solitary hunting. But be honest we all know people who will stretch and take the proverbial Mick. Like anything it’s imperfect and it cannot be a tailored solution to all. I’m due a vaccine as I’m “frontline” I would happily take but my father is in his 70’s and i want my vaccine to go to him. Unfortunately they can’t tailor laws to suit each particular circumstance. I can’t give him my vaccine, I can’t go hunting outside my county, it’s for the greater good. We all
    Have to remember the greater good despite how it’s hurt us

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Richard308 wrote: »
    But if we give in now it will be a free for all.
    But be honest we all know people who will stretch and take the proverbial Mick.
    Same could be said about firearms & licensing, and has been, but hasn't come to anything in practicality. Same tactic at play here. Usually pops up when there is a controversial topic at play. Oh if we stop/allow this it will be chaos.
    Rarely if ever is.
    There will always be outliers, but be honest, they are off doing their own thing regardless. Legislation only works as long as people choose to follow it, and they are increasingly ignoring it or skirting around it.
    Like anything it’s imperfect and it cannot be a tailored solution to all.
    But surely that should not mean that we should be content with the crap situation it has put us in, even if it was with good intentions(being open minded here).
    It isn't working, there is no exit strategy, there is no alternative strategy after nearly a year of this, the economy is in tatters, many businesses are likely to never reopen, revenue is in the toilet, even without all the new strains on the public purse from the lavish covid spending, and the critically badly managed health service is only going to get worse with less money to fund it.
    The logic behind continuing in the current trajectory is narrow minded at best, if it exists at all.
    I’m due a vaccine as I’m “frontline” I would happily take but my father is in his 70’s and i want my vaccine to go to him. Unfortunately they can’t tailor laws to suit each particular circumstance.
    I'll agree with you there, that is rather moronic. My aunt is a healthcare worker, is not keen on getting the vaccine, and is rather perturbed that it cannot be given to someone more needing of it.
    We all have to remember the greater good despite how it’s hurt us
    Gonna head back to disagreeing with you there.
    If I thought the strategy was working, workable, could work, or has worked, then maybe.
    But another 2+months of the current restrictions at minimum is utter lunacy at this point.

The greater good cannot in this case mean continuing down this path.
    The destitution resulting from the decisions made with covid as the excuse will have massive repercussions for decades, and will make the 2008 crisis look like a speedbump.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

otmmyboy2 wrote: »
    But another 2+months of the current restrictions at minimum is utter lunacy at this point.

The greater good cannot in this case mean continuing down this path.
    The above sums it perfectly.

The estimates say it'll be May 2023 before everyone that is seeking the vaccine (74% uptake) will have their first dose and 8 months+ after before people have both doses.

Before the end of THIS year the harm lockdowns are causing will be irreversible.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

I'll let you know as to how the fire arm licensing end of it is going as at the moment between myself and a few other mates theres one new application, several renewals and two substitutions going on. One of my renewals is back and through the system in about a 3 week turnaround, given the fact they are working restrictions that's great.

Re a exit strategy and current restrictions - the big F Up was the Government jumping the levels too quickly last year, the even bigger one was people flocking back to thier 'social networks' because they 'could' or 'can'. Many of those who did so are either suffering the direct effect of it with Covid infections in thier house holds or are now preaching 'solidarity and pull together to beat this' - hypocrisy. Some of the same would be back down the boozers flaunting the rules and laughing at it if they could.

In my own position I get to work with a cross section of the national population from the four corners of the country. Everything was going relatively smoothly in the last quarter of the year until relaxation began. Boom, a surge in close contacts, infected family members, isolations, so on and so on occurred. Coincidence, I don't think so, our records clearly state it all occurred around the relaxation of the restrictions.

Many years ago we were taught about food poisoning and those at the time who were at the greatest risk- the Young, the Old and the Infirm. By infirm it meant people who are sick. Medical advances have enabled many, many people in our society to live a normal healthy life, but in reality those that have survived other wise life ending or threatening conditions do in fact have continuing issues or are susceptible to secondary illnesses / disease. Examples of such- corrective heart surgeries survivors are susceptible to oral infections - so dental surgery is done under caution. Cancer survivors / transplant patients suffer long term immune issues. Car / Sporting accidents resulting in splenectomy have a lower immune system. Respiratory illness, diabetes and even pregnancy normal associated with manageable conditions are at a higher risk due to the virus. So infact the section of society that are at risk is a lot wider then you would think.

Ponder this - It has been asked about the normal flu, were has it gone during the pandemic. The answer - its still there, but social distancing has greatly reduced the number of infections, this can be said of the common cold the incidence rate has reduced, again due to social distancing.

Several older members of my family, friends and work colleagues are no longer with us due to Covid. Try telling a 70 odd year old that they are only a statistic, a demographic of society and for the greater good they should take the hit. A few years back at the bed side of a dying relative in thier 70's it was touching to hear them say that they wish they had more time, 'so much more to do' was the expression they used.

The last point, my sibling (50's) who was infected by Covid, didn't require hospitalization but is now suffering long term effects of it which has had a massive impact on thier life- hobbies, pastimes, daily routines and job all fecked.

I'm no expert but those who doubt this epidemic and its measures of control, take time to look at what is going on in other countries and see how their actions are working both positively and negatively.

I moved my own post and a copy of your one Cookimonster, to the Off Topic thread as its more relevant there than to the hunting theme of this thread.

I don't/didn't want this thread turning into a Off topic thread. I want it kept as close to hunting as possible.

• Advertisement

Makes sense.

BTW i was referring to my post. As i was reading it back i noticed very little relevance to the topic of this thread hence the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭schtinggg

Myself and my young fella managed to get out on St. Stephens Day - just before the new lockdown. My god it felt good to go out and get tangled in some brambles, tracking a solitary pheasant across a few fields. We stopped for some beef jerky in a ditch, under a big sky, just sitting with the breeze on our faces and listening to the sounds of the valley. Since then, we've been pounding the local footpaths every evening - granted, the traffic is half what it used to be, what with people (myself included) working from home. You know what? As much as we miss getting out for a mooch across our permissions (all beyond the 5km), we have to remind ourselves how good that single day was and by god, it's going to be good to get out again, when we can.
    I could rant for hours about how I can't go an hour down the road, but I can get on a plane & go to Rio, but there's no point in ruining a great days memories on an inept government and all the bull that goes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Excavo

Absolutely ridiculous that a person cannot travel, regardless how far, and partake in solitary sport like hunting or fishing. But the opening of schools is ok. Beggars belief

Absolutely agree with this.
    Also the Phoenix Park being jammed with people yesterday puts this nonsense law into perspective. Solo outdoor activities should be made exempt ASAP. It's been a long crazy winter for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Just a thought...
    Do any of you not have work to do on your let's be they bird or deer lets?
    Coilte or otherwise?IE mending fences, putting in tree stands, feeding, starting headcounts, vermin control,trap and snare lines, whatever?

Surely that can be classified as "agricultural work" or important to keep the countryside functioning? How the German hunters can travel beyond their lockdown areas to maintain their lets.SO just wondering could a similar case be made for this here?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Hunter456

got a letter from the farmer where i do some of my stalking i'm more of fox shooting man so he asked me to tin out the local fox population will help any farmer who is lambing or having difficulties with foxes, have being over and back twice shot 3 foxes. can beat abit of early morning foxing hopefully get a deer some stage this week, all we can do is wait and see how the vaccination program fairs out its not looking good compared to US and UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭trackerman

Lads,
    A farmer has asked me to sort out some problem foxes for him. He reckons he has lost 5 lambs and a couple of ewes so far.
    But he is two counties away from me.

Am I able to travel based on this request?
    Do I need a written invitation from the farmer in case of checkpoint ?

Thanks

Get a written invitation/request to CYA. This would count as essential as its livestock (dare I say livelihood) protection.

Got stopped a few months back, when the check points were more prevalent, told them I was 'heading up to do some pest control on a farm'.
    'No bother, best of luck' was the answer.

But I do keep a few laminated letters from the various farmers in the car just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭trackerman

Thanks mods,
    I shall get letters of invitation, long weekend coming up! Be nice to get out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement