Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lawn help

Options
  • 20-02-2021 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Sowed a new lawn in the middle of October 2020, had digger in to redo percolation area so did a bit of landscaping as well, wrong time of year but was only time we could get the machine for it.

So put out 40kg of No 2 seed on an area of about 500sqm, was very soft so strapped two rectangular pieces of ply to my boots and walked up and down the lawn throwing the seed left and right as far as I could. I didn't go bogging the soil but I did leave some tracks and the seed didn't really take well there.

The ground is still very soft and there are some small stones on show, any advice on what's my next course of action?

544293.jpg

Comments

funnyname wrote: »
    Sowed a new lawn in the middle of October 2020, had digger in to redo percolation area so did a bit of landscaping as well, wrong time of year but was only time we could get the machine for it.

So put out 40kg of No 2 seed on an area of about 500sqm, was very soft so strapped two rectangular pieces of ply to my boots and walked up and down the lawn throwing the seed left and right as far as I could. I didn't go bogging the soil but I did leave some tracks and the seed didn't really take well there.

The ground is still very soft and there are some small stones on show, any advice on what's my next course of action?

544293.jpg

Wait it out. Once it dries out, pick the bigger stones and you'll have to pull the bigger weeds by hand once it gets going properly around April time. Water if it gets very dry and cut it on a very high setting once its established as this will encourage more growth. Sow more seed by hand in any patches that have been washed away by the rain. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭funnyname

Thanks dancinpants, is there any need to throw a bit of 10/10/20 on it now?

Thanks dancinpants, is there any need to throw a bit of 10/10/20 on it now?

Don't do that. Just leave it do its own thing. Put some liquid seaweed on it in July if you really feel the need to feed it. 10/10/20 is never a good idea as it's so strong, especially in the first year of a new lawn and the grass is so delicate. Patience is the most important thing with a new lawn - trying to rush it will just damage it.

The reason yours is taking so long is that you sowed it at the end of the growing season. I've sown lawns in November that have not come good until the following June, and sown lawns in July that have been perfect within five weeks.

Be patient and good luck.

A couple of months on, how do ye reckon things are going now?

551811.jpeg

551812.jpeg

A couple of months on, how do ye reckon things are going now?

551811.jpeg

551812.jpeg

It looks very dry. Did you water it regularly?

It's been a tough spring for growth with frost, drought and wind. Ground is still cold so poor conditions for growing.

• Advertisement

It looks very dry. Did you water it regularly?

It's been a tough spring for growth with frost, drought and wind. Ground is still cold so poor conditions for growing.

We're on the west coast so lots of rain and was very soft (couldn't walk on parts without leaving deep footprints) up until a week or so ago. Hard now alright but we've had rain mid week and more forecast for Monday.

So should I water it between now and Monday, any need for a touch of liquid seaweed yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Get some more grass seed, also a bag of 10-10-20, mix them together and give it a good coating, do just before you know a few days rain is coming,...that will help it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm with dancinpants, bit more seed on the baldy bits, but otherwise patience, its doing very well. Very lush, very young growth is not the best situation, just leave it be.

I don't like contradicting anyone but 10-10-20 is not suitable for a new lawn. It'll force the grass to produce too much energy in the short term and just make the present grass shoot up and go very green. At the moment, your grass needs to be sending out side shoots and thickening. 10-10-20 is the equivalent of drinking 5 cans of Monster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

I don't like contradicting anyone but 10-10-20 is not suitable for a new lawn. It'll force the grass to produce too much energy in the short term and just make the present grass shoot up and go very green. At the moment, your grass needs to be sending out side shoots and thickening. 10-10-20 is the equivalent of drinking 5 cans of Monster.

Depends on how much seed and how much 10-10-20 you mix in.

• Advertisement

We're on the west coast so lots of rain and was very soft (couldn't walk on parts without leaving deep footprints) up until a week or so ago. Hard now alright but we've had rain mid week and more forecast for Monday.

So should I water it between now and Monday, any need for a touch of liquid seaweed yet?

Keep the seed bed moist. No need for any fertiliser yet. You've been unlucky with the weather. If there are rivulets and depressions from rain run off (happens a lot with grass set over the winter) rake them through and add plenty of grass seed. Also, pull the big weeds by hand and mowing will look after the smaller ones.

Advertisement