Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midleton Very Rare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Ian OB

Change in packaging happened in 2017. Its possible to get that year in both packaging styles.

If after 5 years you haven't touched it you may as well sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Picked up a bottle of the MVR 2021 in Glasgow airport last night for £135GBP

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭sceach16

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

Has there been another release of MVR 2021? There were 3 bottles in stock in Manchester airport duty free today, £132 and 5 pounds off at the till for some special offer they were doing.

It was due out in September, but looks like it's been delayed until closer to Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 MVR2021

I’m looking for a bottle of mvr2020. Have anyone seen it anywhere? Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭sceach16

Try Irish Whiskey Auctions (www.irishwhiskeyauctions.ie) or Celtic Whiskey Auctions https://www.celticwhiskeyauction.com/en/list/15/3 or Whiskey Bidders https://www.whiskeybidders.com/ Expect to pay 500 ish plus fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

any 2021 sightings in irish shops yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I bought my 2012 on the ferry in 2013 for €110.00. It retails on line now for £750.00 and my 2016 at £450.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

• Advertisement

thanks for that, if they got stock the trickle must must have started.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭mikeecho

There was a delay in getting the last of the 2021s out

The invite had Brian Nations name on it, they had to replace them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

I suppose they can't have an ex employee inviting them to a visit

Next up .... The race for MVR '22

February I've been told, and again a split release to allow for some to be available for the Xmas market.

I don't think anyone drinks it anymore.

Shame, cos it's nice to sample different years, side by side.

I picked up two last week.

I phoned ahead to ask if they had them in stock and I was told that they had 10, but that they weren't on display.

Now I can't name the establishment, but I do get preferred treatment, as I've been buying MVR from them since the early 2000's.

I think buying 2 would be best bet, 1 to drink over the year and one to put away ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Has anyone here who's gone in to collecting MVR over the last couple of years ever actually sold a bottle of whiskey?

I see lots and lots of people buying these but I wonder if the bottles will ever find their way back onto the market.

I really am rather baffled at this current trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭head82

I enquired in Gibney's Off License, Malahide. None on display but assistant told me they had three bottles available.. at €450 a bottle!

I'd have thought it illegal for a retail outlet to blatantly price gouge at this level.

• Advertisement

Why would it be illegal to sell at a price that a skewed marked dictates?

People are buying these in the hope of selling them for more than they pay for them. Why a different set of rules for a retailer?

It might be bad pr for a retailer to sell above rrp but it certainly isn't illegal and I find it rather odd that people think it might be or should be!

I don't know if it is illegal for a retailer to sell at such an inflated price.. approx. 2.5 times the RRP in this particular instance.

But I would have expected some code of practice in place for retail outlets to comply with. Regardless of the product. If the RRP means nothing, then it's basically a 'free-for-all' and any retailer can charge whatever the hell they like.

Again, in this particular instance, does anyone know of any other off-licences (excluding auction houses).. O'Briens etc., charging way over the odds for this product?

And not everyone is purchasing these to sell on at a profit. There are numerous reasons for people wanting to obtain a bottle.. complete a collection, commemorate a birth or GOD forbid.. drink the damn thing!

It's just market forces. If people are willing to pay €450 for a bottle, then, I say fair play to anyone who gets that price.

I'd certainly feel like a fool selling these for €180 and then seeing them for sale for multiples of that price moment's later.

As for your "free for all comment", that's exactly what a free market is. A retailer is free to charge whatever the hell they like and you are free to purchase or not. Thankfully, we don't have price fixing on alcohol. If fools want to pay €450 for a fairly ordinary bottle of whiskey then there will be people willing to sell it to them - whatever their reason for buying. Blame the fools.

I get your point regarding a retailer allowed ask whatever price they want for a particular product. Even though it doesn't sit easily with me considering that retailer has paid a (I assume a fixed) wholesale price for same product. I wasn't aware there was no fixed price on sales of retail alcohol.

But in this case, are the 'fools' not Midleton/Jameson Distilleries.. or whoever the parent company are now.. losing out?

They must be obviously aware that their product commands a premium price and yet they still wholesale at relatively ~ €200.

Your personal opinion of the product maybe somewhat damning/lacking, but that does not diminish individuals choice for wishing to obtain a bottle at a reasonable retail price over the counter. I still maintain my point that a retail outlet asking 2.5 times the RRP is GOUGING.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

You asked if it is illegal? it is not.

Is it gouging? Absolutely and it would preclude me from giving that business any of my money now or in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, I got a bottle earlier in the year in an off licence. Brought it straight to have it auctioned. Made a decent amount considering the whole thing took me 30 minutes. When the money from the auction landed in my account, I immediately spent it on whiskey to drink and enjoy.

got a bottle in dublin this morning

Midleton is back in Dunnes from today in extremely limited quantities. Price increase to €200 as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

If it's gouging when an off-licence sells MVR at a price which reflects what the public are willing to pay for it, rather than the RRP, then is it gouging when a member of the public does a same?

Curious what people who think either or both is price gouging would propose the answer is...

If the off-licence was required to sell closer to RRP, then it seems like most bottles would still be bought by collectors or people seeking to flip at a higher price. There is still going to be a shortage of availability for these people who want to buy MVR at a 'reasonable price' (Although it always seems that people's idea of what a 'reasonable price' is turns out to be a price from the past, when demand was lower, inflation was lower, and it's invariably a lower price of course, no one ever reluctantly accepts that a 'reasonable price' is a higher one..).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭jamesd2013

What's happening with the certs for the 2nd release of 2021?my cert is a different name to the distiller name on the bottle

Advertisement