Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mare Of Easttown | HBO *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I'd love to be able to watch all the episodes together, loved the first 2, can't wait for the next one.

Yeah, it's the perfect show for a rainy Sunday binge. It's bloody brilliant though. Really impressed by Winslet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Cina wrote: »
    Kate Winslet looks like a Rough granny? You need to go to Specsavers pal!

shes completely unglamorous in this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I'd love to be able to watch all the episodes together, loved the first 2, can't wait for the next one.

Watched the 2 last night. Really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next one. Kate Winslet really is excellent. Guy Pierce character is a bit dodgy imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Great job this week not dragging out that ending for a couple of episodes like a lot of shows would have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2021-04-29/mare-of-easttown-hbo-kate-winslet-accent-dialect-coach%3f_amp=true

Interesting article about the difficulty of the Southeastern PA accent and how Winslet mastered it. Makes her performance even more impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2021-04-29/mare-of-easttown-hbo-kate-winslet-accent-dialect-coach%3f_amp=true

Interesting article about the difficulty of the Southeastern PA accent and how Winslet mastered it. Makes her performance even more impressive.

I thought originally the way she was pronouncing her O'hs was weird but soon realised it must be a trait of the area theyre in. Similar to the way Canadians say aboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Madelyn

Watched 15 mins and turned it off.. Terrible show or so I thought. Having read this thread Im going to start it again and watch all the first episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Madelyn

Kate Winslet looks like a Rough granny? You need to go to Specsavers pal!

She looks rough in this tbh.. not a nice person at all. We are used to seeing her all glammed up. I think lots of people still think of her in the titanic.. No one stays young forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Watched first 2 episodes tonight. Decent enough.

I feel like I've seen something very similar story wise to this recently though. I can't remember what exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Lucas Hood wrote: »

I feel like I've seen something very similar story wise to this recently though. I can't remember what exactly.

Some of it is ripped off from Happy Valley. Mainly the protagonists character and the whole backstory of her bringing up her grandchild because her own child committed suicide.

I've found this incredibly dull so far. 3 hours of boredom with not a whole lot going on plot wise. I doubt I'll finish it unless I hear it's gotten a lot better.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Evan Peters plays a great drunk!

I thought the last scene seemed very off, though. Like one minute she's at the bar and the next we're supposed to believe that she managed to slip the drugs into the car, knowing that she would be pulled over and that they'd be found? Also for such a supposedly excellent detective, stealing heroin with specific tags on it, from a case her own chief investigated, and forging the documents - was an incredibly dumb thing to do. A really silly moment in an otherwise great show so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

she tipped off the officers that stopped the child's mother was my take on it, she absolutely knew there would be a stop and search because she set the whole thing up.

It was incredibly stupid, but desperate people do very stupid things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I lasted up until the last 10 mins of the first episode. Just didn’t care for the main character and her annoying friends and family. Wish it was a bit darker and leave all the emo kids out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Found episode 1 a bit slow and depressing but really enjoyed 2 and 3.
    Some random thoughts -
    So many Irish surnames. I suppose there must still be places like this in NE USA.
    I can see why Gardai have to be stationed away from their home. How can she do a job when she seems to be related to or at least know either the victims or perpetrators?
    That was some swerve at the end of ep 3. Hard to know how the story will progress now.
    Life looks miserable there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

TomTomTim wrote: »
    [/B]
    I've found this incredibly dull so far. 3 hours of boredom with not a whole lot going on plot wise. I doubt I'll finish it unless I hear it's gotten a lot better.

It has 92%/93% on RT so far in terms of critics/audience, 87% audience approval on Google and 8.3/10 on IMDB, so I think it's doing what it set out to do extremely well so far.

I think it's perfectly fair enough to have that opinion, but realistically it's not going to get "better" for someone who finds it boring with nothing happening.

If anything I fear it will go slightly downhill as there's only so many twists, characters and shocking revelations a sleepy town can feasibly cater to.

A lot of solid shows fall down that hole of establishing an excellent base that starts to unravel as things move towards a conclusion. Equally plenty don't, so hopefully this'll be one of those that can hold the ship steady throughout.

So far so good, though, absolutely love it - probably my favourite show this year. Kate Winslet is incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Lucas Hood wrote: »

The Undoing was what i was thinking of.

Watched ep 3 the other day. Pretty good i found don't like waiting week to week though.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Baybay

Evan Peters plays a great drunk!

So good!

Another poster wondered about the writer & his involvement with Kate, legitimately I think, as he’s a new guy in a town with a recent murder but I get nervous when Evan Peters appears on screen! Both as Zabel & also because the actor is an AHS alumni & I just can’t shake all the dubious roles he’s played on that!
    But as Zabel, he’s amused that Mare knows or is related to everyone in town yet he seems to be local enough that he attended his high school reunion in the town. Did they just pick a random town to get together? Being older, maybe she wouldn’t remember him despite knowing everyone else? But he’d surely have heard of such reverence for a high school victory that was commemorated for Mare’s team?
    I’m expecting more to Mr Zabel’s story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Salty Crew

Just to echo the above - I think it's a superb show. Loaded with interesting characters.

Perfectly respect if the show is not for you and find it boring, but don't agree at all that there's not much happening plot-wise. To name a few:

Murder investigation, who that baby's real father is, questions over the Priests past, Mare's personal demons, her history with another local missing person's case and questions over her ability to deal with the current investigation, the fight for her grandson's custody. Also, I'm starting to wonder about her partner. How he really solved that case that got him this gig. I think there could be something in that.

Baybay wrote: »
    But as Zabel, he’s amused that Mare knows or is related to everyone in town yet he seems to be local enough that he attended his high school reunion in the town.

Just on this - my assumption was that Mare went out of town a bit, I don't think the Mother of the child lives in the same area?

I think the Chief said he'd been contacted by an outside jurisdiction about the stop and arrest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭LeakyLime

Absolutely love this series. Best I've watched in a long time. Kate Winslet is superb - she is just magnetic on screen.

Hard to wait for the next episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭secman

Never realised how good an actor Kate Winslet is, we're really enjoying this, a pain to have to wait a week though :) .

Only 7 epidodes in total, :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I think this is brilliant - Kate Winslet is really properly fantastic in it, esp after reading that article about the accent!

As another poster said above, I really hope it doesn't veer off into the ridiculous given the small-town nature of where it's set. Also, the planting of the drugs was just ..... clunky. For a smart, experienced detective, how did she think that would ever stick? Is she actually that demented with the stress of the whole thing??

Last episode's ending was a proper shock, I'm intrigued as to where it can go from here (I'm guessing she completely ignores the Chief's explicit instruction!)

I also loved yer man's drunk act! But the school reunion thing threw me - I didn't think much more about it, but it jarred, just didn't all add up.

I was in two minds about it at the start, it's so downbeat and depressing - I felt the same when I (years belatedly!) started with Fleabag, and that was the same, and I just decided that life in general is quite difficult and depressing enough without watching more of it on the telly!

But Winslet's acting is enough to keep me going with this.

I was listening to the Pat McAfee podcast today (about American football) and heard him pronouncing his O like Mare, so I looked it up and sure enough he's from Pennsylvania. I'm very proud for having learned something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

mollser wrote: »
    Hi Mr S

Would you have any recommendations for similar on Netflix other than Ozark and Bloodline? We love these sort of shows, haven't come accross many of them the last few years, especially ones that don't turn into some sort of supernatural or similar sh!te! I know BBC are excellent for the foreign ones, keep missing those though.

Absolutely glued to this the last 2 nights, I think its really excellent - really strong and quick character development, going to be some dark stuff I think!

Cheers!
    Have you seen
    Broadchurch (not on Netflix)
    Unforgotten
    Marcella
    Criminal
    The Fall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭hayser

mollser wrote: »
    Hi Mr S

Would you have any recommendations for similar on Netflix other than Ozark and Bloodline? We love these sort of shows, haven't come accross many of them the last few years, especially ones that don't turn into some sort of supernatural or similar sh!te! I know BBC are excellent for the foreign ones, keep missing those though.

Absolutely glued to this the last 2 nights, I think its really excellent - really strong and quick character development, going to be some dark stuff I think!

Cheers!

Sharp Objects starring Amy Adams was very good. I think there were eight episodes of it a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Another good episode this week. Jean Smart is just brilliant as the mother :D

Another good episode this week. Jean Smart is just brilliant as the mother :D

What channel are you watching it on, I've it recording at 10pm and I'm waiting all day for it.

You can download ep 4 from Sky now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭robwen

What channel are you watching it on, I've it recording at 10pm and I'm waiting all day for it.

Sky Atlantic show it same time as USA every week around 3am

• Advertisement

Ep4 Watched, but I've spoilered some of the plot points

Loved that episode, the pacing in this thing is great - each week is like it's own self-contained story that is wrapped up, but with a very good overarching story too

I have to say that the identity of
    the ransomer was telegraphed from early on, I called it almost immediately

I think it was also pretty obvious
    that Katie Bailey is still alive

the acting in this remains superb, there should be some awards I'd say.

Advertisement