Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mare Of Easttown | HBO *Spoilers*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Salty Crew

MargeS wrote: »
    This is the only series in a long time, where I look forward to the next episode.

Same here. And it's nice to have to wait for the episodes to air instead of them all being available at once. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Best thing since Succession for me, HBO are a class apart from it comes to TV drama, it almost ruins other TV as everything is so poor compared!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Anyone else get mad True Detective vibes from those last ten minutes?

I still hope the killer is one of the people they've been hinting at throughout and making look dodgy as opposed to a total unknown, big plot twist, never see this coming. It also makes shows worse when they do that.

Salty Crew wrote: »
    Same here. And it's nice to have to wait for the episodes to air instead of them all being available at once. :)

It's made Mondays more bearable lol, I look forward to it all day and have a big glass of wine as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It's made Mondays more bearable lol, I look forward to it all day and have a big glass of wine as well.

Meet your sister :D

I’d only love to binge all this show in one go but it’s kind of nice to have something to look forward to as well

That was such a good episode. I was freaking when she was trying to hide from him.

I just love knowing that it will all be wrapped up in just a couple of episodes and the arse won't be dragged out of it until it's ruined like most things. Mini series are brilliant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The pacing is great on this show too, it's not endless cliffhangers with the hope of keeping viewers holding on until the final episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Are we all agreed that
    the kidnapper probably isn't the killer of Erin - I think that's more misdirection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Are we all agreed that
    the kidnapper probably isn't the killer of Erin - I think that's more misdirection

He definitely isn't. They're pointing the finger at the boyfriend now, but maybe that's misdirection. There's also the issue of the baby's dad, which now appears to be the man whose DNA-on-a-bottle Mate was eyeing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Really enjoying this and am surprised by how good Kate Winslet is.
    Good to see her in a tough female role.
    Isn't Easttown very grim?
    Brilliant episode, just watched it last night, shocked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

He definitely isn't. They're pointing the finger at the boyfriend now, but maybe that's misdirection. There's also the issue of the baby's dad, which now appears to be the man whose DNA-on-a-bottle Mate was eyeing up.

He looks a bit like a weasel too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Don't know his name but young Ryan's uncle who let Erin stay with him for a while was acting well dodgy when Mare was asking him about it.
    Think the actor is someone serious too.. Richard Rankin, he looked a bit like, out of Outlander?

Edit . Not Richard Rankin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Zabel :(

What an episode though.

Where was she getting the money she was saving for the op and what was written in the journal that wasn't burned...I still think something will come out about Frank even though I know he has an alibi, did he definitely get dropped straight home by his friend? Lots of twists to come no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Where was she getting the money she was saving for the op and what was written in the journal that wasn't burned...I still think something will come out about Frank even though I know he has an alibi, did he definitely get dropped straight home by his friend? Lots of twists to come no doubt.

Erin was on the sex workers website , it was said she never met up with anyone but that could be a lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Are we all agreed that

Of course, that's been apparent for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

shinny wrote: »
    Zabel :(

What an episode though.

Absolutely. Just brilliant TV. I was buzzing for some time after the episode ended. I just love Kate in this, she really is incredible.

Dylan took that money and put it in his pocket - maybe he gave it to her.

Maybe that's where he went that night.

I think he's going to have a redemption of sorts over the next 2 eps, and I think him binning off the red-haired girl was the start of it.

• Advertisement

I think they've managed to throw us a little after that episode, but surely something's going to point back to Guy Pearce's character.
    I'm betting he killed Erin.
    Why, I don't know!

he wasn't even in Ep5, which was very strange

I'd say he attends the poker games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Baybay

Salty Crew wrote: »
    ...but surely something's going to point back to Guy Pearce's character.

All the loose ends make things exciting, especially as it’s such a pacy show. No padding for ten or twelve episodes & no precious stars so anything could happen any character!

I think his character is either a massive red herring or he’s deeply involved & right now, I’m going for involvement. And because a happily ever after with Mare seems to go against the grain of the show, I’m ignoring that possibility for now.
    He’s mentioned a son with whom he’s had little to do. Erin’s son?
    Or what if it isn’t actually a son but a daughter? Erin again?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

wasn't Mare with him the night Erin was killed?

But in saying that, he mentioned he came to town around a year ago if I'm not mistaken, around same time girls in area started going missing

Meant to add that Erin stayed with the uncle for a while, you could see Mare doing the maths and might explain who the dad is, he'd surely have a motive to kill her

wasn't Mare with him the night Erin was killed?

But in saying that, he mentioned he came to town around a year ago if I'm not mistaken, around same time girls in area started going missing

Meant to add that Erin stayed with the uncle for a while, you could see Mare doing the maths and might explain who the dad is, he'd surely have a motive to kill her

He was indeed with Mare, no way he's the killer. Think he's just another character to let us explore Mare's complexities.

Katie had been missing for a year but she (and later Mare) mentioned another girl, Hilary, who was missing before that.

He was indeed with Mare, no way he's the killer. Think he's just another character to let us explore Mare's complexities.

No, he may not be the killer but it feels right, to me anyway, that he’s something to do with something!

• Advertisement

Dylan took that money and put it in his pocket - maybe he gave it to her.

Maybe that's where he went that night.

I think he's going to have a redemption of sorts over the next 2 eps, and I think him binning off the red-haired girl was the start of it.

I felt he just pocketed it and thought what a horrible thing to do but maybe I'm wrong, the fact that his parents are taking the baby is great but then I'm wondering if theres anything behind it, could Dylan's dad be the father....I'm spending way too much time thinking about it all lol. Would the timeframes allow for Mare's son to be the baby's father? Is that why Frank was 'involved ' with Erin?

I think Dylan taking the money was done to shock us and make us think he’s a scumbag but I think he’ll do good in the end and use it for the child’s ear issues like Erin wanted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Don't read if you haven't seen preview for next episode.
    Doesn't look like Dylan will be having the redemption some people are expecting in here. Could be throwing us off though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

I can't remember being excited for the next episode of a show like I am for this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Did anyone notice how Mare looked at that guy's beer bottle in the most recent episode when she was watching TV in the Ross's home? My guess is that he'll turn out to be the father of Erin's child after she tests the bottle for DNA...

EDIT: Just read the above posts, apologies for repeating what had been discussed already!

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Don't read if you haven't seen preview for next episode.
    Doesn't look like Dylan will be having the redemption some people are expecting in here. Could be throwing us off though.

OJhA80Z.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Did anyone notice how Mare looked at that guy's beer bottle in the most recent episode when she was watching TV in the Ross's home? My guess is that he'll turn out to be the father of Erin's child after she tests the bottle for DNA...

EDIT: Just read the above posts, apologies for repeating what had been discussed already!

I actually thought they made that a bit obvious/contrived?!

B2021M wrote: »
    I actually thought they made that a bit obvious/contrived?!

Yes, definitely! It could be a red herring but I suspect that it's not. It would explain his sketchy behaviour in previous episodes.

Yes, definitely! It could be a red herring but I suspect that it's not. It would explain his sketchy behaviour in previous episodes.

Normally id agree but lately they seem to overdo the false leads!

Probably a mad idea but what about the main priest (more senior one) as having some involvement? Peripheral character but still shown quite a bit...

B2021M wrote: »

Probably a mad idea but what about the main priest (more senior one) as having some involvement?

I really hope not as I think it would lessen the story to have someone as obvious as a Catholic priest unless there is a fantastic back story as to why.

Baybay wrote: »
    I really hope not as I think it would lessen the story to have someone as obvious as a Catholic priest unless there is a fantastic back story as to why.

Yeah i agree...but theyve already played the child abuse/catholic church card

What did Billy do that was sketchy in previous episodes?

The show makes a point of lingering on pretty much everybody at some point or another, presumably to arouse suspicion, when they haven't done anything that, in any other context, wound be considered strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,431 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What did Billy do that was sketchy in previous episodes?

The show makes a point of lingering on pretty much everybody at some point or another, presumably to arouse suspicion, when they haven't done anything that, in any other context, wound be considered strange.

So, Billy, you heard Kenny was a violent drunk, and you let his underage but nonetheless very pretty and attractive daughter stay in your basement while she needed to be apart from her Father. In your house, just you and her, for a few months? Tell us how that went.....

Larbre34 wrote: »
    So, Billy, you heard Kenny was a violent drunk, and you let his underage but nonetheless very pretty and attractive daughter stay in your basement while she needed to be apart from her Father. In your house, just you and her, for a few months? Tell us how that went.....

That was in this week's episode. The poster mentioned Billy behaving sketchily in previous episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,431 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That was in this week's episode. The poster mentioned Billy behaving sketchily in previous episodes.

They're all blue collar dopeheads and booze hounds who act sketchy. This week was just peak Billy.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    They're all blue collar dopeheads and booze hounds who act sketchy. This week was just peak Billy.

For the second time, I'm not talking about this week's episode.

The previous poster said that Billy's behaviour this week, explained some of his sketchy behaviour in previous weeks. I'm asking what that behaviour in previous weeks was. It's a blue collar town where they drink a lot of ****e beer. Beyond that, what had we seen from Billy (BEFORE THIS WEEK!) that was suspicious, other than the fact he's a character in a whodunnit?

There have been a few scenes where he seemed flustered. The one where he was rummaging through a toolbox comes to mind?

There have been a few scenes where he seemed flustered. The one where he was rummaging through a toolbox comes to mind?

That hasn't happened. It's from the previews of Ep. 6/7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I think that there's more to the Frank story than him just buying nappies, he said he barely knew her yet he'd supposedly helped her out with groceries and nappies, too wholesome imo.

Yeah I think it’s one of those ‘red herring’ red herrings where they create suspicion but clear it up quick enough so you automatically rule that person out.

I reckon Frank is the killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

It's a good show but there are some elements to it that are a bit annoying and have it a notch or two below the likes of True Detective. The odd scene here or there just seems to be like something from a rom com movie for some reason, hard to think off the top of my head, but the scenes with the daughter and the new girl she is seeing or the scene with Mare and her mother at the wake the other night.

They just seem so pointless and not with the theme of the rest of the show. Also I feel a lot of the episodes have been slow enough and only get going towards the end, maybe I am alone in thinking that.

Still a very good watch and one of the better things I've watched in 2021, the last episode was particularly good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

It's a good show but there are some elements to it that are a bit annoying and have it a notch or two below the likes of True Detective. The odd scene here or there just seems to be like something from a rom com movie for some reason, hard to think off the top of my head, but the scenes with the daughter and the new girl she is seeing or the scene with Mare and her mother at the wake the other night.

They just seem so pointless and not with the theme of the rest of the show. Also I feel a lot of the episodes have been slow enough and only get going towards the end, maybe I am alone in thinking that.

Still a very good watch and one of the better things I've watched in 2021, the last episode was particularly good!

I enjoy the more light hearted moments, would be way too grim without I think.

Defo a slow burn at times though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Nice to find this thread as i wondered and now set up for recording it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

They're needed imo. The show would be too bleak without them tbh.
    Another thing is that they help an audience warm to Mare more easily, and that's needed as there's very little warmth about her (kinda like Sarah Lancashires character in Happy Valley).

There are shades of Broadchurch about it, in that all the obvious suspects are most likely red herrings, and it'll probably turn out to be someone that wasn't focused on at all.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I reckon Frank is the killer.

I wonder has the fiance found out something that's put her off and that's why she didn't attend the venue viewing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Madelyn

Madelyn wrote: »
    Watched 15 mins and turned it off.. Terrible show or so I thought. Having read this thread Im going to start it again and watch all the first episode.

I watched all episodes last week and the story is good. My god the town and the people are all so depressing. I dont like mare's character at all.
    The story with Colin Zabel and mare was unbelievable and unnecessary to the story.

I think Lori's husband John is the killer and father of DJ.

Advertisement