Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mare Of Easttown | HBO *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

im confused ( in a good way )

the chap who pulled a gun on and threatened the girl , it looks like he is the killer so perhaps the other teen guy who went fishing with his adulteress dad just thinks hes the killer ? , perhaps he thought was involved in her bullying and thought he killed her ?

great series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Great series....makes up for a lot of dross I've sat through lately (eg. Your Honour and The Undoing)

The scene that got me last night was when the young fella slipped in the bath and the mom was dozing off...as a parent with two young fellas that was easily the most terrifying thing I've seen on telly in a while.

There's a few loose ends to be tied up for sure....let's hope for a cracking last episode...would be great if it was feature length (90 mins +)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Cartman78 wrote: »
    The scene that got me last night was when the young fella slipped in the bath and the mom was dozing off...as a parent with two young fellas that was easily the most terrifying thing I've seen on telly in a while.

yeah me and my wife were shouting at the tv in this scene

I think the mother is going to let the kid stay with Mare because of it

I don't think he slipped, because he said "I can hold my breath for ever" - he was playing

I don't think he slipped, because he said "I can hold my breath for ever" - he was playing

I think there was a very quick shot of him appearing to lose his balance/grip in the bath just as the mother was nodding off and it cut to another scene......but it could be just parental paranoia tbh :-)

I can watch zombies, ultraviolence etc but a kid unattended in the bath could give me nightmares

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

I think there was a very quick shot of him appearing to lose his balance/grip in the bath just as the mother was nodding off and it cut to another scene......but it could be just parental paranoia tbh :-)

I can watch zombies, ultraviolence etc but a kid unattended in the bath could give me nightmares

yeah he slipped just as she fell asleep. Myself and the wife were terrified

Having kids changes your perspective on things like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Yeah I think she will realise that she is not fit to look after him and will let Mare have custody. The ending ties up nicely for Mare then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Fantastic show. One of those I will watch over and over. I really hope that there will be another series.

I don't think you need to have kids to have found that scene disturbing. I was freaking at that scene too and my partner said 'if that child's after dying we're not watching anymore!'

Is anyone else completely certain they know exactly what's going and who the killer is? I'm 100% on it, which means I'll be wonderfully shocked next week when I'm totally wrong. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Leaving the bath running while someone is in the bath seemed quite silly anyway. I thought the kid was a goner myself.

Well it's pretty clear that Billy is the father of the child....I was half expecting the brother to kill him while they were out fishing in an attempt to cover it up.

Not sure if Billy is the killer though....despite coming home covered in blood etc.

And further muddying the waters is yer man Dylan and Erin's best friend also covering something up.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out either way.

And shout out to Mares mother :-) Jean Smart was excellent in Watchmen as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I don't think you need to have kids to have found that scene disturbing. I was freaking at that scene too and my partner said 'if that child's after dying we're not watching anymore!'

Is anyone else completely certain they know exactly what's going and who the killer is? I'm 100% on it, which means I'll be wonderfully shocked next week when I'm totally wrong. :D

Literally said the exact same. I was like I’m done if that happens :D It was more of a reactionary statement from shock but I said it nonetheless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Baybay

Every week I’m certain. And every week I change my mind!
    Current favourite, Siobhan
    But that writer...
    But would Mare’s boss have had that reaction to the photo if it was the writer who was in it? Has he even met him?
    But Siobhan & that meltdown. Totally warranted, given the circumstances of her discovery. But also her reaction to the unanswered calls & texts, PTSD? Worry for her girlfriend? The last straw?

Baybay wrote: »
    Every week I’m certain. And every week I change my mind!
    Current favourite, Siobhan
    But that writer...
    But would Mare’s boss have had that reaction to the photo if it was the writer who was in it? Has he even met him?
    But Siobhan & that meltdown. Totally warranted, given the circumstances of her discovery. But also her reaction to the unanswered calls & texts, PTSD? Worry for her girlfriend? The last straw?

Oh I'm so certain I can't even share my theory because I might ruin it for everyone else! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Baybay

Oh. Whoops.

Baybay wrote: »
    Oh. Whoops.

Ah I'm only joking! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,328 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

But what possible motivation would Siobhan have to kill Erin, even if she has trauma issues? I think again its just more part of Mare's life tapestry, the amount of shyt she is juggling.

My theory is (spoiler) that although Billy may have killed Erin, that John (who we know to be an incorrigible philanderer) was also messing around with her and is in fact the baby's father. He wants to do anything to get back with his wife Lor and so his plan to shoot Billy up in the woods can be dressed up whatever way he likes (self defence when tackling a confessed killer) and also blame the parentage of the baby on Billy once he's dead thanks to their close DNA (assuming he isn't directly tested himself). That way, he and Lor can also get custody of the baby as closest living relatives to raise as their own.

Of course nothing will go to plan with Mare arriving in the Woods closely followed by the rest of Easttown PD, so thats where it becomes anyone's guess as to who walks out alive!

By the way, if anyone is enjoying 'Mare' and hasn't seen The Outsider, I'd highly recommend it.

The receipt from the jewellers just had the surname right? So it could have been from either brother.. I’m leaning towards John having done it but confused as to why Billy would confess. Although I keep going back to Siobhan being there the night Erin was killed, and how that was kind of pointless to have her there.. it seems a bit unexplained

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

The fact that Mare is gone off to the cabin indicates it has to be one of those two (there was no shots of anyone else going - such as thier father), otherwise that's a real curveball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

The receipt from the jewellers just had the surname right? So it could have been from either brother.. I’m leaning towards John having done it but confused as to why Billy would confess. Although I keep going back to Siobhan being there the night Erin was killed, and how that was kind of pointless to have her there.. it seems a bit unexplained

No it has Billy's name on it on a slip to the left if you freeze frame, but I think the other brother is the puppet master my moneys on John being the father and the killer, Billy might have been drunk the night Erin was killed and can't remember what happened.
    Also when Billy sees John moving in with the Dad he says something about he can't keep his dick in his pants and causes problems for everyone.
    Anyway that's my theory, could be totally wrong and turns out to be John's young son Ryan or Richard lol

No it has Billy's name on it on a slip to the left if you freeze frame, but I think the other brother is the puppet master my moneys on John being the father and the killer, Billy might have been drunk the night Erin was killed and can't remember what happened.
    Also when Billy sees John moving in with the Dad he says something about he can't keep his dick in his pants and causes problems for everyone.
    Anyway that's my theory, could be totally wrong and turns out to be John's young son Ryan or Richard lol

Oh right, I missed that. Yeah I’m suspicious of John.. especially since he went to Lori and told her that Billy confessed, and then warned her not to tell Mare, probably knowing full well that she would tell her. If he didn’t want Lori to tell Mare then all he had to do was keep it from Lori.. but if John did it then it suits him to have her inform Mare that Billy confessed.
    Curiouser and curiouser..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

the gun used to kill Erin was an old police issue

could it have been an old gun of Mare's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

More likely her dad's.

In the Ep. 7 preview
    there's a clip of someone looking at an old revolver inside a decorative box emblazoned with police insignia (Ridley township). Had never really thought about it at all, and it would annoy me if it turned out to be the case, but it lowers the odds on Siobhan for me

And Frank could have taken it, I just keep thinking that he's involved so I'm going to guess it's him, anyone else going to hazard a guess just for a bit of fun ?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Well it's pretty clear that Billy is the father of the child....I was half expecting the brother to kill him while they were out fishing in an attempt to cover it up.

I agree, I think that's where it was heading.

Which brother owns the tackle box with the gun in it? My inking was it was the older ones but maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The_Dave wrote: »
    The fact that Mare is gone off to the cabin indicates it has to be one of those two (there was no shots of anyone else going - such as thier father), otherwise that's a real curveball
    The photo at the end is probably the curveball you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

Convinced its Frank (Billy's brother). Seems like a nice guy but he's a liar, a cheat, a manipulator (had his child sworn to secrecy over his affair - what sort of **** does that?). Must be history with Billy - an enfeebled character. He's terrified of Frank. The fishing trip is a ruse and I suspect Frank will try and take him out (the gun being Franks) and claim it was suicide over the murder he thinks responsible for. Billy himself probably did find the girl (circumstances not clear yet) hence blood on clothes - and he clearly thinks he's responsible (the confession) and Frank being the **** he is is willing to murder his own brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

legrand wrote: »
    Convinced its Frank (Billy's brother). Seems like a nice guy but he's a liar, a cheat, a manipulator (had his child sworn to secrecy over his affair - what sort of **** does that?). Must be history with Billy - an enfeebled character. He's terrified of Frank. The fishing trip is a ruse and I suspect Frank will try and take him out (the gun being Franks) and claim it was suicide over the murder he thinks responsible for. Billy himself probably did find the girl (circumstances not clear yet) hence blood on clothes - and he clearly thinks he's responsible (the confession) and Frank being the **** he is is willing to murder his own brother.

Frank is Mare ex husband. John is Billy's brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Frank is Mare ex husband. John is Billy's brother.

Cheers - I meant John.

legrand wrote: »

Yeah this is pretty much what I think.

John was having a relationship with Erin. Erin threatened to tell. John killed her. Billy was there or found them and tried to resuscitate Erin, getting covered in blood. John came up with some bull, probably about his family needing him and guilted Billy into keeping quiet.

Did his son even see him cheating again or did he witness something that night like his dad coming home late and destroying evidence and when his mam asked if it was cheating he just went along with it rather than tell her he thinks his dad is a murderer.

John probably pleaded with Billy to take the fall for him then when the truth was starting to surface. Billy seems a little soft/gullible and John probably played the family, young kids card to get him to do it. Thats why he wanted to hear billy say he was guilty. He was coaching him. And then as someone else pointed out, told his wife Billy did it, knowing she'd tell Mare.

He kills Billy at the cabin (self defence or makes it look like suicide) and bobs your uncle, he's a free man.

Except that photo is John and Erin together! So..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Yeah this is pretty much what I think.

John was having a relationship with Erin. Erin threatened to tell. John killed her. Billy was there or found them and tried to resuscitate Erin, getting covered in blood. John came up with some bull, probably about his family needing him and guilted Billy into keeping quiet.

Did his son even see him cheating again or did he witness something that night like his dad coming home late and destroying evidence and when his mam asked if it was cheating he just went along with it rather than tell her he thinks his dad is a murderer.

John probably pleaded with Billy to take the fall for him then when the truth was starting to surface. Billy seems a little soft/gullible and John probably played the family, young kids card to get him to do it. Thats why he wanted to hear billy say he was guilty. He was coaching him. And then as someone else pointed out, told his wife Billy did it, knowing she'd tell Mare.

He kills Billy at the cabin (self defence or makes it look like suicide) and bobs your uncle, he's a free man.

Except that photo is John and Erin together! So..

This is exactly what I was thinking. Still expecting some sort of curveball though!

Advertisement