Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damage to outer wall layer

• 20-02-2021 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hello, I recently moved into a new house. The outside wall at the rear of the house has some damage to the outer layer, pictures attached. As you can see I need to paint the outside of the house when the weather improves. Would it be possible to fix that damage prior to painting as it doesn't look great as it is. Would be nice to have a fresh looking finish on the whole wall. What would be the best way of thing about this fix. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You can buy different types of tender crack repair. Some are putty's some inject from a mastik gun. Some paints with a mix.

Have a look whats available in your local hardware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It looks like some of the final coat of plaster has fallen off because it was put on too thinly.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SUNGSAM

Thanks both for your replies.

I'll take a look at your recommendations.

The house is approx 30 years old so it's likely the original render and just damage from.over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I agree with Rows as it being the most lightly cause, the other possibility is that it was given multiple layers of santex exterior paint that peeled off

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

From painting my own house last year, I saw the exact same issue.

Moisture had seeped behind the layers of old paint from cracks and corners, allowing the paint to blister off. When I scraped all the loose material back I painted over the whole thing and got the same result.

The easiest way to fix it is to use external filler, and feather the thick lines out. It will look good when the steep build up has about 5cm of a feather down into the lower areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Kencollins wrote: »
    From painting my own house last year, I saw the exact same issue.

Moisture had seeped behind the layers of old paint from cracks and corners, allowing the paint to blister off. When I scraped all the loose material back I painted over the whole thing and got the same result.

The easiest way to fix it is to use external filler, and feather the thick lines out. It will look good when the steep build up has about 5cm of a feather down into the lower areas.

Looks like the exact same as this ? Below photo is my own house this evening . Do you think that’s the same issue ?

https://ibb.co/BBwfnLL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

SUNGSAM wrote: »
    Hello, I recently moved into a new house. The outside wall at the rear of the house has some damage to the outer layer, pictures attached. As you can see I need to paint the outside of the house when the weather improves. Would it be possible to fix that damage prior to painting as it doesn't look great as it is. Would be nice to have a fresh looking finish on the whole wall. What would be the best way of thing about this fix. Thanks.

Run some filler along the edges, and get some balled up newspaper and dab the filler lightly with it, to give it a light stipple to fit in with the old plaster.

Advertisement