Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treats & hidden gems from Cork's ethnic food shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

[quote="scuby;116528334"

Cork Oriental Supermarket Dalton avenue[/quote]

That's a very strange place.
    It was interesting when they had the restaurant going.
    They are, generally, unfriendly to the point where it's almost funny.

It's worth a gander in there but, mostly, I prefer to give my custom to the friendly folk in JiaJia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

That's a very strange place.
    It was interesting when they had the restaurant going.
    They are, generally, unfriendly to the point where it's almost funny.

It's worth a gander in there but, mostly, I prefer to give my custom to the friendly folk in JiaJia.

I had a poke around there once and recalled it being relatively more expensive than JiaJia and they had very little small pouches of spices etc. All big bags not suited to a two person house.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

New Mexican products in Mr. Bells!

Mole sauce, epazote, tomatillos....

https://twitter.com/MrBellsCork/status/1370691570903740417?s=19

Where could I get fine cornmeal in the city centre? I can see it on Mr Bell's website, but I'm not keen on €6.95 shipping.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Where could I get fine cornmeal in the city centre? I can see it on Mr Bell's website, but I'm not keen on €6.95 shipping.

Mr Bells is open though.

• Advertisement

How fine?
    Polish shops sell cornmeal (polenta to me) but it's not flour fine, if you get me.

How fine?
    Polish shops sell cornmeal (polenta to me) but it's not flour fine, if you get me.

The recipe I want to try says "normal, finely ground cornmeal" - hard to suss it out from the video.

The recipe I want to try says "normal, finely ground cornmeal" - hard to suss it out from the video.

What's it for?

What's it for?

Cornbread. :p

Cornbread. :p

Hmm, the stuff I'm talking about is probably a little to coarse for cornbread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

I’m pretty sure I saw it in the newly opened Tesco in Douglas.

Would any (city centre) ethnic / Asian etc store have peanut oil?

I’m looking for it for a recipe (frying) and it is sold in Tesco, but circa €2.50 for 500ml and I suspect I would need a couple of bottles.

I happened to be passing Khan Spices on North Main St but no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Try Jia Jia, I have seen different oils there. Fyi, peanut oil is also known as Groundnut oil.

Samhain wrote: »
    Try Jia Jia, I have seen different oils there. Fyi, peanut oil is also known as Groundnut oil.

Will do. That was in my head - the value for money in Jia Jia for things like soy sauce, rice wine vinegar etc is much, much better v Tesco

Would any (city centre) ethnic / Asian etc store have peanut oil?

I’m looking for it for a recipe (frying) and it is sold in Tesco, but circa €2.50 for 500ml and I suspect I would need a couple of bottles.

I happened to be passing Khan Spices on North Main St but no luck.

Peanut oil is actually a pretty neutral oil.
    I'd be happy using sunflower oil in its place.

Peanut oil is actually a pretty neutral oil.
    I'd be happy using sunflower oil in its place.

We have vegetable oil to use instead, but was hoping to be able to find peanut oil at a half reasonable price. It seems to be an American thing to use it for frying.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fulanoquetal

We have vegetable oil to use instead, but was hoping to be able to find peanut oil at a half reasonable price. It seems to be an American thing to use it for frying.

Peanut (or Groundnut) oil is a pretty neutral oil - no taste of peanuts as such (don;t think of comparing to toasted sesame oil !).

The americans do use it a lot a. because they grow a lot of peanuts and b. because it has a relatively high smoke point (I think). However, a good quality sunflower oil should be a good substitute.

I used to buy a 5 gallon container of peanut oil for frying Thanksgiving Turkey whole.

Where can I find some horse meat?

I'm not aware of anywhere in Cork that sells horse meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Probably anything in Iceland

I gave up on my quest for peanut oil. Jia Jia did stock it, but it was only 600ml so not much more efficient.

Separately, I stopped into the new Indian / Asian shop on North Main Street. They still don't have a sign over the front, but it came up as Fresh N Frozen Cork on my banking app.

They have a fresh meat counter at the back, but I didn't look at that too much. I did notice their staff / butcher had a full chef type uniform on (complete with the tall chef hat).

They mainly stock frozen goods - breads, meat, fish, veg etc. A lot of the stuff has £ promotional offers on them, so I'm guessing a lot of it comes via the UK.

There's very little in terms of spices, rice, dried or canned goods.

They have a fridge of various drinks & cold meats, and seem competitively priced.

We picked up some frozen bread (paratha) which was 40c cheaper than the Asian Foods place up the street. A 5 pack of the garlic one came to €3.08 and a 20 pack of plain ones (different brand) was about €5 or so, I think.

It definitely feels newer and a touch cleaner than the other two Indian shops on North Main St, but it would only be of use if you're looking for specific frozen stuff.

• Advertisement

I've been looking for the frozen veg paratha that they used to sell in Khan Spices on NMS. They were lovely. Nicely spiced and flakey. Can't find them anywhere now.

Cork could do with a solely Mexican grocery store. I’ve been trying to track down corn tortillas in vain. I did try Mr Bells, and whilst they sell the corn flour you would use there’s no premade ones. I had been looking up Mexican recipes and they require different types of dry chilles. You can get them from a shop in Dublin but delivery is €€€ and long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭snotboogie

My favourite is Cork Oriental Supermarket, awful unfriendly service but a better selection than Jia Jia. They had a hot pot restaurant running out the back at one stage!

Cork could do with a solely Mexican grocery store. I’ve been trying to track down corn tortillas in vain. I did try Mr Bells, and whilst they sell the corn flour you would use there’s no premade ones. I had been looking up Mexican recipes and they require different types of dry chilles. You can get them from a shop in Dublin but delivery is €€€ and long.

You need to look in Mr. Bell's again.
    The have a big range of corn tortillas now. Different sizes and some flavoured ones. Good simple ingredients, too.
    They are on an outside shelf facing The Pig's Back.

They have a selection of Mexican dried chillies, too.

Superfruit have had fresh tomitillos recently, too.

The have a big range of corn tortillas now. Different sizes and some flavoured ones. Good simple ingredients, too.

Oh blast. Thanks for the tip. I might go back later.

Oh blast. Thanks for the tip. I might go back later.

Chillies are inside. Ask.

Thanks - I went back and found them. Didn't realize they have goods on the outside too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 l14masasddadsg

There's frozen Blanco Nino ones in Musgraves if you know someone with an account. I think they're planning on getting them into regular supermarkets, but haven't seen them about yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Mr Bells have them online for delivery or pickup in Togher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Surprised nobody has mentioned Zaiqa in Togher / Tramore Road area. I guess it's a bit hidden and nothing out of the ordinary.

It's an Arabic spice supermarket. Has the usual spices, veggies, frozen goods, fresh meat counter etc. They also sold a nice Syrian flat bread last time I was there. Think it's made in Cork.

Before the lockdown they had a restaurant with seats in there too. Had a few kebabs there.

Advertisement