Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treats & hidden gems from Cork's ethnic food shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Went to Geofood on Sunday.

We had two Khinkali (first one on menu which are pretty big meat filled dumplings - pork and beef). They were really tasty. Very nicely seasoned and flavoured.

We also shared a Lobiani which was a stuffed bread filled with a very tasty, spiced bean mixture. Also really good.

It's very good value and what we had was really lovely. As mentioned before, the woman running the place is very friendly, too.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

That looks very good, definitely going to have to pay a visit. Is there somewhere to eat in there or is it takeaway only?

There's a counter and stools. Seats about 6 people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Mr Bell's has bought in some nice range of Belazu goodies. 😛

The rose harissa is one of my favourites. Looking forward to trying the Ezme.

Might try that bibimbap sauce (Ajumma Republic) too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Anyone know where to get cheap Sumac? Tesco brand sumac no longer exists. Only Schwarts available now for rip off prices.

• Advertisement

While not cheap, the sumac from Izz Cafe is very good. €5.50 for 80g.

Or you could try any of the indian shops for the Greenfields brand, they're usually cheap enough.

This stuff is the best, if you want to recreate the Chinese style satay sauce:

But for the rich and sweet Malay style dipping satay sauce (just add coconut milk), this is really tasty (Lobo brand):

Both can be sourced from Mr. Bells and Jia Jia.

I love this fish sauce... Megachef brand, from Jia Jia (Squid was my previous go to fish sauce).

€3.20 for 500ml (will I ever even finish the bottle?!)

This guy rates it even more than the regular Red Boat (anyone know where to get that brand?). But that Phamily Reserve Red Boat, oh I would love to try that!

I see that Mr Bell's has got in some Mr Curry ("Irish-Chinese family business") sauces. I must try some of these:

A lot of new hot sauces too, which is welcome as they have been tending to go more towards BBQ sauces for the summer season.

Does anyone know where I can buy pre-made labneh (strained yoghurt) in Cork City?

I know I could attempt to make my own, but I don't have the storage space in my fridge for all that straining through cheesecloth for days!

TIA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

I've had it in Izz cafe before.

I'd try the few Asian shops on North Main Street.

Was in one of those shops today, opposite side of the street to Bradley's. Think it might be called Fresh and Frozen. Anyway, I saw strained yoghurt there!

Brilliant! Thanks TBR.

I had a quick look in there recently and came away with pickled turnips and some form of cheese. Will look again 👍

Their lamb is Irish, good and well priced, too. I've bought neck and shoulder there.

Good quality ajvar from Asian Foods on North Main Street.

Tastes very fresh compared to other jarred brands. Around €5 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

Anyone know where I can buy ground rice in the city please?

Jia Jia sell rice flakes, and the Quay Co-op sell rice flour (including brown rice flour)... not sure if these are the same as ground rice though.

EDIT: I see that TRS and Natco brands sell ground rice, so best check an Indian store.

Personally, I like Asian Foods on North Main Street. I find them friendly, and they have lots of stuff for sale. It's where I got that ajvar from. Worth picking up a jar if you're there.

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

Ssamjang. I like it with eggs.

I really like the Nissin range of instant noodles - if you like instant noodles, that is. The flavours are really good and they are a little firmer than other instant noodles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I don’t fancy making a stand alone thread looking for bread, and this thread has been busy in the past.

Where can I get Arbutus bread in the city? I know they are at Douglas Market on a Sat, but don’t fancy the relative trek out there.

Secondary to that, where do you recommend for a good baguette in the city? We’ve gotten them from Alternative Bread Company, and Grumpy Bakers do not stock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

Pana bread is great in Merchant's quay, and Arbutus is sold in Bradley's and I believe in Nash 19 also.

The Pig's Back in the market sells Arbutus bread.

Unfortunately, I think Pana didn't retain their quality. Not worth the money anymore, imo.

The baguettes from Cameron on Washington Street are good, but they sell out early.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Thanks for those.

Pana - had bread from them before and it was ok, so am happy to try elsewhere.

Pig's Back - didn't realise, will pop by this weekend perhaps.

Bradley's - I'm so focused on getting to the beer fridges I bypass most everything else.

Their stockists page just displays blank, hence my asking here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I posted ages ago on here, but there didn't seem to be a good source at the time.

Does anyone know a place in Cork that does good Baklava? I filled a bag with some that you can only get in Asda on my last trip to the UK, and I can get it from Asda in NI, but nothing in this part of the world. Any ideas?

Lidl occasionally do it but it is incredibly dry muck, not my taste at all.

Try Sultan's on MacCurtain Street.

Don't know how good it is but pretty sure they have baklava.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Baklava wouldn't be my area of expertise but I've found it fairly decent from Sultans

I've only bought it from them when they did the markets. I assume it's what gets sold in the shop

Advertisement