Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiggle, Evans, Chainreaction Post Brexit

Options
  • 20-02-2021 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Howdee

Firstly apologies if this has been asked before but I checked back to Dec and couldn't find a thread on it.

Looking to buy a few bits n bobs from one of the UK based retailers- no big value items, chain degreaser that kind of thing

Looking to check with someone who has purchased post Brexit if the following correct....

If my items are individually under €22 then I don't need to pay VAT on them
    But I will get charged VAT if the value of the delivery is over €22

And if value of delivery is over €150 I get hit with additional import taxes.

Also any recommendations for a euro based site that avoids all this customs n excise chicanery?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

With CRC or Wiggle all taxes will be included with the price you pay (vat and/or any import duty)

With AMAZON if the item is fulfilled by Amazon, and the value is under 22 euro (inc shipping), then Amazon will deduct the VAT and you won't pay any VAT when it comes into the country. It is treated as an export. If the value is over 22 euro and less than 150 euro, then Amazon will charge the Irish VAT (as they are registered for VAT in Ireland) and you won't pay any additional VAT when it comes into the country. If the value goes over 150 euro (on the item only not the price including shipping) then you will be paying import duty also. I believe Amazon will charge this import duty at time of purchase.

For other sellers it depends. I bought something from 76Projects and it was over 22 euro. Because that company may not be setup as being registered for VAT in Ireland (unlike Amazon) they deducted the UK VAT. Then when it arrived in Ireland by DHL I was contacted to pay the Irish VAT. As it was DHL I also had to pay their custom clearance and handling fee. It it was ROYAL MAIL / AN POST that it shipped with you usually will only have to pay the VAT. Other sellers should be taking the same approach so you have to watch out that they are deducting the UK VAT (whether it is over or under 22 euro) at time of purchase. If they are not doing this, you could end up paying VAT twice (again in Ireland) if the value including shipping is over 22 euro.

Finally if you buy an item from the UK and customs feel it might be under valued by the seller (items they judge to be worth more 150 euro, customs actually google these items), it will stay in customs for over a week with tracking showing an EXCEPTION. Eventually the courier will text or email you and ask to provide proof of purchase (usually paypal receipt or invoice from seller) within 3 days or customs will destroy said item. If the value is over 150 euro (just the item, not additional charges or delivery fees) then you will subsequently have to pay import duty. If you are not happy with paying this and just want your money back, you can agree to pay the IMPORT duty at the door, then refuse delivery when it arrives. At that point it will be returned straight to the UK and your seller can issue a refund. This is my personal experience.

Cycling sites of choice for me which are based in Spain, Italy and France are Deporvillage, All4Cycling and AllTricks. There is also BikeComponents.de, BikeDiscount.de and finally Bike24 though not 100% sure whether Bike24 ship their stuff from Germany through to the UK. The others do not. And so far All4Cycling and AllTricks have proven to be the fastest for delivery. (3-4 days max).

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭fillup

Tnks for the detailed response Flaccus!

Advertisement