Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Viewings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

Viewed a vacant house this morning, no prerequisites. Rang to ask about house and was asked if we'd like to see it. No proof of funds required nor our house on the market.

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Viewings are safe, you go in on your own, the agents waits outside, there are sanitizers available at the door.
    Banning viewings makes no sense, when you can easily get infected in a shop or on the bus

To be fair, they made it clear that they banned certain things, not because the thing itself was dangerous, but because the govt. just wanted less people actually moving around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I did another viewing on Thu, house is currently lived in, viewings were allowed with the usual precautions, one person at a time, sanitizers, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Who are these agents doing viewings? We have been told their are none.

Who are these agents doing viewings? We have been told their are none.

i'd rather not name them , so far I haven't been refused any viewing from any EA I contacted. You must have proof of funds, then it's ok to view the property

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Estate agents and laws (guidelines/Rules) are 2 things you'll rarely find going hand in hand.

Would be a shock if the cowboy profession was following anything other than the money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

FileNotFound, please read the forum charter before posting again.

Do not reply to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

SteM wrote: »
    House up the road from us went on the market 2 weeks ago. Last Saturday there were 30 viewings while the owners were away for the weekend and the house went sale agreed yesterday. For 50k over asking.

If the asking price was €700,000, this would not be that crazy, it the asking price was €200,000, this would be crazy.

And i suspect that such information is usual local gossip that has no bearing on the truth.

I also suspect the 30 viewings is wildly exaggerated - did a nosy neighbour literally stand out all day counting?

I always take such exaggerated information with a inch of salt - In almost every case, when the official price is published on ppr, its not much different to the asking price unless the asking price was artificially low. (its quite easy to do these checks)

silver2020 wrote: »
    If the asking price was €700,000, this would not be that crazy, it the asking price was €200,000, this would be crazy.

And i suspect that such information is usual local gossip that has no bearing on the truth.

I also suspect the 30 viewings is wildly exaggerated - did a nosy neighbour literally stand out all day counting?

I always take such exaggerated information with a inch of salt - In almost every case, when the official price is published on ppr, its not much different to the asking price unless the asking price was artificially low. (its quite easy to do these checks)

The properties I've been bidding are in the 200-220K asking price range, so far they all went for 30-50k higher.
    The one I'm on at the moment is already 20K higher and it's only been up since this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

The properties I've been bidding are in the 200-220K asking price range, so far they all went for 30-50k higher.
    The one I'm on at the moment is already 20K higher and it's only been up since this week

Then the asking prices are too low and this practice is one of the reasons estate agents get a bad name.

You can see what similar houses have sold for by checking ppr, so if an agent is listing 15% below for no proper reason, they should be brought to book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

i'd rather not name them , so far I haven't been refused any viewing from any EA I contacted. You must have proof of funds, then it's ok to view the property

What proof is required? is Approval in Principle all that is required?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭SteM

silver2020 wrote: »

Asking was 225, seller was hoping for 240-245 and went sale agreed at 275. The EA told the seller that there were 30 viewings set up, don't have any idea whether it's true or not. Don't see why the EA would be lying to seller about it though. The seller told us all of this, no 'local gossip'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Mr.S wrote: »
    Our experience is mixed with a few different estate agents - from the popular high street names, to smaller / independent ones.

Seems to be down to the individual agent if they are comfortable stretching the rules for viewings.

It’s not stretching the rules it’s breaking the rules and going against the rules of their governing bodies Psra ipav and scsi

Estate agents and laws (guidelines/Rules) are 2 things you'll rarely find going hand in hand.

Would be a shock if the cowboy profession was following anything other than the money.

Ah it’s not a cowboy profession, I’ll admit it has a long way to go professionally but since 2012 it is heavily regulated by the psra, with minimum qualifications required, audits every 3 years etc.

SteM wrote: »
    Asking was 225, seller was hoping for 240-245 and went sale agreed at 275. The EA told the seller that there were 30 viewings set up, don't have any idea whether it's true or not. Don't see why the EA would be lying to seller about it though. The seller told us all of this, no 'local gossip'.

it sounds about right. I just pulled out of a bidding war that started at 225K and is currently at 261K

For some reason there are still people who believe that prices are decreasing, but whoever has bee trying to buy right now will know that this is not the case

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Was this in Dublin?

It’s crazy at moment and I’m considering holding back for 6 months or a year. A house went on the market last Tuesday at 295k. I enquired on Thursday . Agent was off on Friday when I rang. She got back to me today. It went sale agreed last Wednesday at 347k. They took bidders over 335k on Wednesday and sale agreed on the day. Client decided to ignore any new bidders after Wednesday.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Was this in Dublin?

yes it was Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

It’s crazy at moment and I’m considering holding back for 6 months or a year. A house went on the market last Tuesday at 295k. I enquired on Thursday . Agent was off on Friday when I rang. She got back to me today. It went sale agreed last Wednesday at 347k. They took bidders over 335k on Wednesday and sale agreed on the day. Client decided to ignore any new bidders after Wednesday.

Thats nuts.
    Ive a friend who wants to move back to her parents house because one of the parents is very sick and the other is frail and the traveling home 3 or 4 days a week is killing her. So they decided that they will move asap into the parents house and sell their own.
    She said she needs to paint it up, tidy it up and do something with the back garden. Get it ready for sale.

I told her to just put it up as is and see how it goes. She doesnt want photos of a messy house visible to all the neighbors on the internet forever :)

I convinced her though. Shes going to ask the estate agent to show it without putting a for sale sign up in the next couple of weeks. She draws the line with photos going on the web of the mess in the rooms.

It will be interesting to see how fast it sells. The EA advised her to market it at €350k and see if it gets bid up.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Thats nuts.
    Ive a friend who wants to move back to her parents house because one of the parents is very sick and the other is frail and the traveling home 3 or 4 days a week is killing her. So they decided that they will move asap into the parents house and sell their own.
    She said she needs to paint it up, tidy it up and do something with the back garden. Get it ready for sale.

I told her to just put it up as is and see how it goes. She doesnt want photos of a messy house visible to all the neighbors on the internet forever :)

I convinced her though. Shes going to ask the estate agent to show it without putting a for sale sign up in the next couple of weeks. She draws the line with photos going on the web of the mess in the rooms.

It will be interesting to see how fast it sells. The EA advised her to market it at €350k and see if it gets bid up.

Would have told her to paint and tidy, house 4 doors up went for 30k more than ours (1 week diff in sales), no difference but it was clean and painted and the one we bought looked rough.

We had viewed both - intended to gut so paint on walls meant nothing to us.

Bad pics/no pics would surely mean reduced footfall and then lesser bidding war no?

• Advertisement

Would have told her to paint and tidy, house 4 doors up went for 30k more than ours (1 week diff in sales), no difference but it was clean and painted and the one we bought looked rough.

We had viewed both - intended to gut so paint on walls meant nothing to us.

Bad pics/no pics would surely mean reduced footfall and then lesser bidding war no?

Dont think she cares. Shes more worried about the parent and wants it done quick. Her problem is she has so much stuff. Every room is packed with it. She would be ages thinning it out to paint. A few cracks in the ceilings look bad.
    Most people think the house is falling down when they see them.
    They are just settling and stress cracks and very, very easily repaired but they look bad.
    If it doesnt sell quick she will just do all that and tidy it up and put it on the market properly.
    I would buy myself, but its 30km away from where i want to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭paddyman

Is there any rough date yet on when government will give the final yes / no on whether viewings can start on April 5th?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

paddyman wrote: »
    Is there any rough date yet on when government will give the final yes / no on whether viewings can start on April 5th?

No not yet. I’d expect something early next week though

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

I have been to two viewings in the past month (both in Dublin)
    Last week I saw one, that was completely different to the video virtual tour - as in, there was a lot more issues than was shown - obviously the photos they choose show up the best foot forward but this was ridiculous. Damp, cracks and outright holes in walls and ceilings not shown properly or at all.

How anyone is buying a house without seeing it, is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 DTownD

David McWilliams podcast today is on this very topic.

https://twitter.com/davidmcw/status/1374297833449394176

We're really considering purchasing at the moment and have a viewing for a property we are very interested in. We are highest bid. However I do think it's the wrong time and houses will come down in 18 - 24 months. But for us personally, it's the right time.

Hard to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Milena009

DTownD wrote: »

We're really considering purchasing at the moment and have a viewing for a property we are very interested in. We are highest bid. However I do think it's the wrong time and houses will come down in 18 - 24 months. But for us personally, it's the right time.

Hard to know.

Personally, I think the houses might drop or they might keep rising to a point.
    There is a lot of potential buyers holding of, saving more and more and therefore potentially being able to bid up higher up.

I am renting at the moment and it is pretty much dead money if i wait.
    I am sale agreed on a property 18km from Dublin and hopefully it does go through.

I am unwilling to wait as I might be priced out even out of this location, potentially in future so hard choices.

Hard to know.

I honestly have no idea where property prices are going, or if its better to rent. I can just guess. And I change my mind often.

But one thing i'll say to everyone is -
    David McWilliams is a popstar.
    He has no greater knowledge on the future of property prices, or the economy for that matter than Kim Khardasian does.
    You may think his opinion carries weight. It doesnt. Put him in the middle of all the economists in Ireland and all you have is a gaggle of noise from them all with different opinions.

If he did have insight he would have been living in Barbados sunning himself every day on the profits his superior knowledge made for him. But no, he is still gigging and touring and marketing himself.

Hard to know.

I always just think supply and demand - in dublin at least supply is in tatters, very limited and no sign of that changing in the years to come never mind months.

Demand is lower at this very moment with wfh making people hold off, but even then the stories of real life bidding wars and prices will show that even the diminished demand is ahead of supply.

If the world comes back to a pre covid norm then prices in the capital at least can only practically rise (speed of this rise could be anywhere).

Plenty of people in good paying jobs looking for homes at the moment, plenty of cash in hand buyers about.

Houses on my road are going like hotcakes...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Hard to know.

I'm interested in David's opinions but, as another poster said, he's no oracle. No one really has a clue what's going to happen.

Easy for him to say "don't buy, don't look at Daft for 12-24 months" when you're sitting pretty in a big house in Dun Laoghaire. My mental health is starting to really suffer from living at home with my parents for nearly 3 years now, in my early/mid 30s. Factoring everything into account, and even factoring in a low to moderate decrease in prices in the next 2-3 years (or at least when this panic buying stuff is over) I'm still extremely tempted to go for it.

You're not just buying a property, you're buying stability. I'm utterly sick of looking at Daft. Agree with him that there are far better things to be doing with your Saturday mornings. And he says "rents have dropped- rent!"- yeah no thanks David, I still don't feel like paying €1500 a month for a crappy tiny 1 bed when a mortgage for a 2 bed would be almost half that, thanks for your opinion anyway though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 dkav9

usually a big fan of DMcW - but he has it wrong. renting is a balls, the rental market is not deflated.

In a slightly drunken state last Wednesday I accidentally requested to make an offer on an EA's website. They got back to me and told me the current bid was 80k above asking (300k)! I was shocked to say the least, and luckily I am not planning to buy for at least 6 months, but reading the comments on this thread I am happy to be reassured that this is a COVID thing and not a symptom of the market at large...

Advertisement