Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Viewings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Thats crazy. But I dont think an offer really starts to mean anything til you get to at least sale agreed stage. Then you know whats serious

Yes people can get carried away making offers and are too invested to walk away . Going sale agreed they might realize how crazy it all is at the moment

Think I'll just sit tight until next month see if supply increases like predicted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I can afford to hold off 6 months - a year. There is a temporary bubble at the moment due to restrictions on movement and more constrained supply due to covid.

Example there was a house, smaller than I want and not in exact location I want sale agreed In January at 315k buyer pulled out as seller had no where to move to and still the case. Went on market today at 335k. I was offered the house to buy prior to going on market if I paid 355K. House 2 doors down sold for 311k last year and another for 211k in 2010.

People are under pressure to buy due to mortgage time constraints and possible job loss and higher taxes down the road. Huge pressure on the limited market at the moment. Should improve late summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cb123

I'm off to see a vacant property over the weekend.

The EA was very adamant along about waiting for the restrictions to ease but contacted me yesterday to offer a viewing, he must not have hope that they're lifting anytime soon.

I've been told that there are 60 interested parties in the property, which surprised me as it's a pretty rural. I'm scared to see what happens regarding bids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

cb123 wrote: »
    The EA was very adamant along about waiting for the restrictions to ease but contacted me yesterday to offer a viewing, he must not have hope that they're lifting anytime soon.

There might be something to that - I got an email from 2 EAs today regarding houses I had registered an interest in viewing a few weeks back but they're now just inviting bids based on the photos up on daft. Seems strange they've waited until now if they thought there'd be able to start viewings in ~10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Are these all vacant houses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

We had our first zoom house viewing earlier. First 'viewing' of the year. Very exciting. EA talked us through the video he had made.

Already two offers on the house. No physical viewings at all. Already well over asking.

Gael23 wrote: »

I've seen one other property since getting AIP in January.

That house wasn't vacant - Owners went off for an hour. The EA opened up the house and sat in his car. We masked up and we're left to it. Didn't touch anything, for everyone's safety.

The upcoming viewing at the weekend is a vacant property.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

The two houses I was emailed about are both vacant - ones a probate sale but not sure about the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Non vacant houses can be viewed too, I viewed one about 2 weeks ago in Blanchardstown. It went sales agree already

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Smiley11

JohnK wrote: »
    There might be something to that - I got an email from 2 EAs today regarding houses I had registered an interest in viewing a few weeks back but they're now just inviting bids based on the photos up on daft. Seems strange they've waited until now if they thought there'd be able to start viewings in ~10 days.

I got the same today. I'd say they're under pressure too with low volumes to market. From what I can see in Cork city, they're pushing hard trying to entice people to sell..again, can't blame them. Supply is poor & supply quality is pretty abysmal.

I actually have no interest in any of the houses I've registered to view so far but just want to get out meeting agents in the hope of hearing supply is going to improve or hear about something coming on that we're potentially interested in. The way things are presently, we have no intention of buying in the next 3 to 6 months but you can never say never if the needle in that haystack comes up :)

2 of the 3 I've registered to view are empty...no offers of viewings but I definitely would if afforded the opportunity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Milena009

I have registered interest in some houses around lusk and suck earlier in year, was told nope no viewings cause L5
    Now they send emails "you know what, Actually look at the YouTube video and bid, then you can view"
    So there seems to be some pressure from owners to have property sold sooner rather than later

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Non vacant houses can be viewed too, I viewed one about 2 weeks ago in Blanchardstown. It went sales agree already

Anything is possible...is it legal? NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Not looking likely viewing will be allowed from April 5th.
    Spoke to EA yesterday and he's not expecting it.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Not looking likely viewing will be allowed from April 5th.
    Spoke to EA yesterday and he's not expecting it.

What happens then?

What happens then?

We continue with virtual viewings and make inflated bids on the sparce number of properties out there.

What happens then?

Hold tight I guess but it's hard not to feel stuck, like life is on pause (on top of COVID)

Hold tight I guess but it's hard not to feel stuck, like life is on pause (on top of COVID)

Been holding tight of over a month now

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Have our house up for sale currently.
    We have had viewings for the last three weeks.
    Plenty of interest and some offers. People don't seem put off by the restrictions.

Our EA is a one man operation. We are fairly rural, not town or city.

Been holding tight of over a month now

I've been waiting nearly 3 months. Two viewings in that time including today's one. It's a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Steviesol

I've been waiting nearly 3 months. Two viewings in that time including today's one. It's a pain.

Are auctioneers allowed do valuations during level 5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Steviesol wrote: »
    Are auctioneers allowed do valuations during level 5?

Just had an estate agent do a valuation of the property that I'm renting (and planning to buy), so it seems so. Was a quick enough job, in and out in about ten minutes while I hung around outside waiting for 'em, and with a mask and all that, so the risk was minimal. I opened all the windows and doors and such and turned on all the lights so the place had good ventilation and they didn't have to touch anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Milena009

dennyk wrote: »
    Just had an estate agent do a valuation of the property that I'm renting (and planning to buy), so it seems so. Was a quick enough job, in and out in about ten minutes while I hung around outside waiting for 'em, and with a mask and all that, so the risk was minimal. I opened all the windows and doors and such and turned on all the lights so the place had good ventilation and they didn't have to touch anything.

I am sale agreed on a house and the valuation was carried out last week.
    This Thursday surveyor is going there as well.
    So yes, they can :)

With construction opening back up from the 12th, anyone have any idea if house viewings will be allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 KBH2020

With construction opening back up from the 12th, anyone have any idea if house viewings will be allowed?

Just found updated guidance on gov.ie
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#construction

It says here all residential construction restarting and until then construction is closed, exceptions until then include (last bullet point) viewing prior to signing contracts. Not sure if this means on the 12th this may change. It is unclear to me.

I am sure PSRA will update their site soon. Not feeling optimistic but we badly need in person viewings to curtail this bidding frenzy:(

Had a look at the Daft Q1 sales report being released tomorrow, supply down 34%, average price nationwide up 7% in Q1. Dublin prices up 8% in last 12 months with many counties outside Dublin up 11-12% in last 12 months.

Had a look at the Daft Q1 sales report being released tomorrow, supply down 34%, average price nationwide up 7% in Q1. Dublin prices up 8% in last 12 months with many counties outside Dublin up 11-12% in last 12 months.

Insane!

Was chatting to a local estate agent, he reckons to hold tight, once restrictions are lifted, supply will increase and it's unlikely that buyers will increase. Not sure how much truth is in there, but hopefully.

Went to see a house last Saturday. Rural dormer bungalow. It's been vacant for 4 years, bad attic conversion (not comfortable for anyone over 5 foot) and no heating. When I told the EA we weren't interested, he suddenly became very honest and told us about how the engineer found loads structural issues including water pooling in the attic space behind the conversion and how that whole side of the roof will need redoing. Anyways, the current bid is 9% over asking.

Not feel8ng optimistic either but there’s no specific mention of it in anything I’ve read this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

Has there been any further clarity on viewings being allowed. Can't find anything online

• Registered Users Posts: 15 NovaDublin

Mr.S wrote: »
    Have viewings stopped? Seems to be that if the property is vacant, EA's have no issue showing them. At least, that has been my experience.

That is correct! We viewed a house last week that was vacant. No problems

• Advertisement

Hope the prsa announce this week.
    Given the 20k or inter county rule is then in, it seems prudent to lift it.
    My EA assumes it will be back on Monday.

Advertisement