Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Viewings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

The government have opened construction from next week but they have not given timeline for ancillary property services so there won’t be any update by psra until these restrictions are lifted. It is still not permitted to view/show house unless sale agreed. Now some agents will just ignore and some will find a workable solution ie show vacant house to final round of bidders prior to going sale agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Im not expecting it until May

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

I've been contacted by two agents this week offering viewings. One had definitely suspended viewings when told to but they seem to have given up now and are doing them again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Was talking to an agent today before putting in a bit for a house, he said they don't think it's going to be until may that they'll allow viewings, but they will look at offering viewings to the top 2 or 3 bidders.

Things are definitely starting to shift with EAs.

Looking in Dublin and no agent has budged yet on viewings. The larger chains all giving the government restrictions line. One smaller agent has said they will start on the 19th. I’ve gone to 2 physical viewings since January, both small independent agents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I drove past a house i always liked the other day and it had a for sale sign up.
    I looked at it when i got home on google maps.
    The google photo was taken about 2 years ago when they place looked terrible from the road.
    Theyve obviously prettied it up a lot since then.
    But im kind hoping that others who see it will look at the google maps picture and get turned off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I drove past a house i always liked the other day and it had a for sale sign up.
    I looked at it when i got home on google maps.
    The google photo was taken about 2 years ago when they place looked terrible from the road.
    Theyve obviously prettied it up a lot since then.
    But im kind hoping that others who see it will look at the google maps picture and get turned off :)

??? so someone took a bit of time and effort to make a property look better and it does look better and you think people should look at it from 2 years ago on google and hope they get turned off hehe good luck with that approach :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

fliball123 wrote: »
    ??? so someone took a bit of time and effort to make a property look better and it does look better and you think people should look at it from 2 years ago on google and hope they get turned off hehe good luck with that approach :)

Not what I said at all.
    I said "if" they only looked at it on google then it may be to my advantage since I didnt just look at it on google. That is the danger of buying without viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I've been to 4 viewings since January (all small companies or private sellers, vacant properties) and I got the "proof of funds" request for the first time today ahead of a fifth. They were satisfied with a redacted AIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭morrissey1307

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I've been to 4 viewings since January (all small companies or private sellers, vacant properties) and I got the "proof of funds" request for the first time today ahead of a fifth. They were satisfied with a redacted AIP.

Do you mind me asking what you did for a redacted AIP? Just blank out the total lending figure?

My AIP is about 10 pages long with the total sum (or calculations / build up of payments to that figure) stated on multiple sections and pages. So wondering if I need to blank out all of them, or just give the first page, but that in itself looks suspect.

I have been asked for proof of funds a couple of time so far although I haven't given it!

• Advertisement

Do you mind me asking what you did for a redacted AIP? Just blank out the total lending figure?
    I had a shorter two-page document from KBC because I went through a broker and just blanked out the one mention of the total lending figure.

In your shoes, I think I would chance the first page alone and if they wanted the entire thing, just blank out all mentions of the relevant figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I had a shorter two-page document from KBC because I went through a broker and just blanked out the one mention of the total lending figure.

That's what I did, not comfortable with an estate agent knowing my mortgage approval amount

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Green Mile

I can’t wait to put my house on the market. I feel there’s no point if people can’t come and view the property.
    Other sellers are probably thinking the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Green Mile wrote: »
    I can’t wait to put my house on the market. I feel there’s no point if people can’t come and view the property.

Some EA are still showing so ask the question before you decide on who to go with.
    The one I went with was willing to open the door and let buyers in to look around once they had viewed the online video and proved they had AIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Viewed a house today in west Dublin. Bidding has being going on for a few weeks. Still 7 bidders in mix and 20k over asking. Will
    Probably bid again when I know where final bidders stand. It’s definitely different viewing house in person than the photos and videos I was sent. I was more impressed in person. But it’s now at a price that’s slightly bigger house on same road in much better condition went for last year.

We have a viewing next weekend
    Estate Agent said of the sellers were ok with it then he was happy to facilitate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Green Mile wrote: »

well, those who put their properties on the market are getting the best sale prices since 2012, close to 2007 peak prices in some locations

Not sure if this is just a Dublin apartment thing but I'm finding some of the agents absolutely useless when showing me around places. If I ever do manage to buy a place and need to sell it, I think I'd be tempted to do it myself.

More than once the person showing me around had clearly never been at the property before and wasn't the agent in charge of the sale, couldn't answer basic information like what the management fee is, whether there's a lift, etc and one or two have literally just opened the door and sat down, without offering any information about the property. It's like drawing blood from a stone. You would think with viewings being few and far between right now, they wouldn't want to waste people's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Hopefully May 4th is the day normality can resume

Had the highest bid based off a video but pulled out when sale agreed .

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

Hopefully May 4th is the day normality can resume

Had the highest bid based off a video but pulled out when sale agreed .

Hopefully it puts a halt to all these outrages bids, I'm being bid out of the small two bed market every time, even though I have a decent mortgage (or so I thought)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

brianc27 wrote: »
    Hopefully it puts a halt to all these outrages bids, I'm being bid out of the small two bed market every time, even though I have a decent mortgage (or so I thought)

The fact that people will be able to see a house before making a bid will remove the bids of people who are not interested before they drive up the asking price. You will still get a few who will panic bid, and supply will still be low, but it will help.

RichardAnd wrote: »
    The fact that people will be able to see a house before making a bid will remove the bids of people who are not interested before they drive up the asking price. You will still get a few who will panic bid, and supply will still be low, but it will help.

Yeah it's not the silver bullet but it will definitely help

Had some smaller agents provided viewings this week by appointment, the bigger agents and chains seem under no rush to even contemplate viewings.

Hopefully the 5th sees the complete return of viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 My Back Pages

We've been allowed to view a few properties in northside Dublin city by one of the bigger/chain estate agents in the past couple of weeks. Initially a no but if you make bids (and show AIP), they have been calling up asking if we wanted to see the place.

Always on the phone, never via email. These have been for vacant properties also

Had some smaller agents provided viewings this week by appointment, the bigger agents and chains seem under no rush to even contemplate viewings.

Hopefully the 5th sees the complete return of viewings.

Hopefully indeed, however I think that many agents will need to be weaned off the virtual viewing nonsense. If viewings start on the 5th, I think it will take a while yet for any semblance of normality to return.

Had a viewing last Friday. Estate Agent approached us to see if we were still interested. If so he was happy to facilitate a viewing with agreement of the seller.

Hopefully indeed, however I think that many agents will need to be weaned off the virtual viewing nonsense. If viewings start on the 5th, I think it will take a while yet for any semblance of normality to return.

I think the opposite . Would make their job irrelevant going forward . All you need is a couple of admin staff

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Spoke to a major estate agent today and they think viewings will be back from the 4th.

I think the opposite . Would make their job irrelevant going forward . All you need is a couple of admin staff

It depends on the point of view. If a large estate agency like DNG were able to sell their properties without the need to take people out to see them, then less staff would be needed. Also, if you're running a solo estate agency business, then the current model allows you to transact all business from the office. A rather cozy deal for some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

It depends on the point of view. If a large estate agency like DNG were able to sell their properties without the need to take people out to see them, then less staff would be needed. Also, if you're running a solo estate agency business, then the current model allows you to transact all business from the office. A rather cozy deal for some.

Funny you should mention DNG, they were the ones I spoke to today, and there was a great deal of happiness and relief associated with the potential return of in person viewings.

Anecdotal of course, but there are a lot of stories out there about sales falling through due to the "bid, go sale agreed then view" model of doing things at the moment, and I'd imagine it's a right pain for EA's.

My 2c :)

Advertisement