Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will tourists be allowed to visit Ireland this summer if they've had their vaccine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

tommybrees wrote: »
    It's genuinely shocking to me that people don't understand a vaccine doesnt stop you contracting or spreading the virus.

This is basic enough stuff in fairness.

Very bleak outlook, what's the point of them so?[/quote]

You won't get as sick or most likely not sick at all if you contract it.

Jesus wept,how the fcuk do some people not know this?

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Why didn’t you answer my question. So you’re saying once vaccinated carry on with permanent lockdowns and keep borders permanently closed?

Mickey,
    I sense you're not the smartest,what question would you like answered and I'll do my best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

HBC08 wrote: »
    Very bleak outlook, what's the point of them so?

Jesus wept,how the fcuk do some people not know this?[/QUOTE]

I’m quite aware how this virus works. So it’s permant restrictions in your book, right?

Mickey,
    I sense you're not the smartest,what question would you like answerd and I'll do my best.

I’m quite smart actually but thanks for your concern about my level of smartness. So i’ll ask again, permanent restrictions and travel permanently banned? Yes or no?

Mickey,
    I sense you're not the smartest,what question would you like answerd and I'll do my best.

You mustn’t be too bright yourself if you had to ask what question i’m asking when i have already clearly asked you.

• Advertisement

Jesus wept,how the fcuk do some people not know this?

I’m quite aware how this virus works. So it’s permant restrictions in your book, right?[/quote]

Not at all,
    I'd be hoping harsh restrictions would be lifted by the summer but nobody knows if that can happen or not. (I booked a flight to Portugal for May a couple of weeks ago)
    The current dominant variant means things are going to be different to last summer unfortunately, at least thats the way its looking.People are at different stages of coping/accepting/understanding the rapidly changing situation.To me it comes across as stupidity, lack of understanding, lack of reasoning skills etc.

I’m quite aware how this virus works. So it’s permant restrictions in your book, right?

Not at all,
    I'd be hoping harsh restrictions would be lifted by the summer but nobody knows if that can happen or not. (I booked a flight to Portugal for May a couple of weeks ago)
    The current dominant variant means things are going to be different to last summer unfortunately, at least thats the way its looking.People are at different stages of coping/accepting/understanding the rapidly changing situation.To me it comes across as stupidity, lack of understanding, lack of reasoning skills etc.[/QUOTE]

The evidence suggests the vaccines are more likely to work against the new strains than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Not at all,
    The current dominant variant means things are going to be different to last summer unfortunately, at least thats the way its looking.People are at different stages of coping/accepting/understanding the rapidly changing situation.To me it comes across as stupidity, lack of understanding, lack of reasoning skills etc.

And just exactly what expertise do you have that you can preach to everyone on how this situation will evolve? Let me guess, you have facebook...

Deagol wrote: »
    And just exactly what expertise do you have that you can preach to everyone on how this situation will evolve? Let me guess, you have facebook...

None at all,same as you.
    I might possibly have a better way of interpreting facts and coming to logical conclusions though.
    Sometimes even if I don't like the outcomes.

Not at all,

The evidence suggests the vaccines are more likely to work against the new strains than not.[/quote]

Early data from AZ vaccine suggests it may stop spread up to 67% which is great. Unfortunately early data also suggests it only has 10% efficacy against SA variant for example.
    I think the reality that the current vaccines will not work as well against current and future variants is slowly dawning.Its not good news,I'm not happy about it and I work in frontline healthcare.
    Personally I'm hoping they can tweak vaccines to match the strains like they do with the flu.

• Advertisement

Early data from AZ vaccine suggests it may stop spread up to 67% which is great. Unfortunately early data also suggests it only has 10% efficacy against SA variant for example.

10% against mild illness but near 100% against serious illness and death. Vaccines can and will be tweaked.

10% against mild illness but near 100% against serious illness and death. Vaccines can and will be tweaked.

I'm not sure if its 100% against serious illness with AZ,I don't have a link.

I agree vaccines can hopefully can be tweaked but we are nowhere near there yet,both in knowledge and capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭brickster69

john9876 wrote: »
    I'm in the UK but from Ireland originally and I own a holiday home in the west of Ireland.
    I think myself and my wife will have had both jabs by July and we would like to visit Ireland in August for a few weeks with our kids.
    Do you think this will be allowed?

Could be possible. But keep an eye out for those new hotel quarantine laws. There could be a chance that by August they may be in place.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 14,450 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Foreign Travel is going to be severely restricted until next year at the earliest. We could well be looking at 2023 before that goes back to normal, given we have almost 8 Billion people in the world, who need vaccinating. Dont let the 'Open up NOW' folks fool you into a false pretence that we are weeks or months away from normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Exactly, it didn't arrive by the wind... People need to stay away from Ireland, we don't want anymore variant!!

Untill when you f*cking fool ya ?

There will be ALWAYS new variants, so what you want to shut down the borders forever ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I'm not sure if its 100% against serious illness with AZ,I don't have a link.

I agree vaccines can hopefully can be tweaked but we are nowhere near there yet,both in knowledge and capabilities.

RNA vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna and Curevac to come) seem to be both more robust against variations and easier to modify to cater for variations.

I wouldn't be surprised if people getting a jab later in the process get a variant tweaked one and this can used as a booster for people vaccinated earlier.
    markodaly wrote: »
    Foreign Travel is going to be severely restricted until next year at the earliest. We could well be looking at 2023 before that goes back to normal, given we have almost 8 Billion people in the world, who need vaccinating. Dont let the 'Open up NOW' folks fool you into a false pretence that we are weeks or months away from normal.

If most everyone is vaccinated and Covid levels are driven to low levels in the prosperous countries, then flights will resume between them with a requirement for a vaccine for travellers. Countries where is it still rampant may be treated differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Two obvious questions...

What's a tourist going to be doing here anyway? Practically nothing is open unless you find food shopping the be all end all.

We can't drive down the road yet someone else can swanny over and have a foreign holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,450 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

If most everyone is vaccinated and Covid levels are driven to low levels in the prosperous countries, then flights will resume between them with a requirement for a vaccine for travellers. Countries where is it still rampant may be treated differently.

That is going to take a while, more than a year, and there will still be restrictions on things like crowds, festivals and the like.

Fauci has already stated that masks will more than likely be advised in 2022.

That is going to take a while, more than a year, and there will still be restrictions on things like crowds, festivals and the like.

From RTE:

“Nightclubs look set to be allowed stay open later and Sunday pub opening hours will be extended under a plan by the Minister for Justice to reform the alcohol licensing laws.”

“ The changes will form part of Government's efforts to boost the hospitality sector's recovery when the Covid-19 pandemic restrictions are lifted later this year.

So who knows what may happen and when.

Gradius wrote: »
    Two obvious questions...

What's a tourist going to be doing here anyway? Practically nothing is open unless you find food shopping the be all end all.

We can't drive down the road yet someone else can swanny over and have a foreign holiday?

Two obvious answers……

If it gets to the stage where tourists are allowed in i’d imagine everywhere would be open.

As for the second question, see above……

• Advertisement

Yeah, there will be travel bubbles /corridors between countries that have completed their vaccination programs. I can see Ireland/UK begining with that arrangement autumn ish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Dubit11

I know of one family who have booked the ferry and campsite in France for June of this year in the belief everything will be back to normal or close to by then, Completely off their rocker imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,316 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Dubit11 wrote:
    I know of one family who have booked the ferry and campsite in France for June of this year in the belief everything will be back to normal or close to by then, Completely off their rocker imo.

Site be nice and quiet though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Why would any of them come here as things stand? Hospitality will be shut until 2022, and if last year is anything to go by, you'll have lunatics in places like Wexford telling anyone who's coming from more than 5km down the road to **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ireland is closed, no International Tourism will occur this year.... Stay home International people, we don't want your Virus variants, stay out!! :mad:

Jesus Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Ireland wont ban USA tourists from coming here this summer, wait and see. We are completely submissive as a country when it comes to the states. Now what on earth they are coming here for, i have no idea. Nothing open, nothing to do.

That'll make it more like the Quiet Man theme park they're expecting (apart from the pubs being closed).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Dubit11 wrote: »

They will most likely be grand. Numbers will be super low and most vulnerable will be vaccinated (here and in France). The French will not tolerate restrictions at that point. Plus camping sites and environs where socially everything is outdoors is relatively safe.

The court of public opinion will be different. There will still be curtain twitchers here reporting the family to the Guards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3991600014192588&id=100000278858168

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I feel sorry for the pubs, restaurants and hotels.

But you know who I really feel sorry for?

The kids who are going to have to pay for all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Hoboo

afatbollix wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the pubs, restaurants and hotels.

But you know who I really feel sorry for?

The kids who are going to have to pay for all of this.

Every generation pays for something, they'll be grand.

Advertisement