Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will tourists be allowed to visit Ireland this summer if they've had their vaccine?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

afatbollix wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the pubs, restaurants and hotels.

But you know who I really feel sorry for?

The kids who are going to have to pay for all of this.

Do you really feel sorry for the pubs? Or do you feel sorry for yourself that you can't go to one.

I'm not knocking you man, but if I remember correctly, you said on here before that you signed up to a vaccine trial. Is it just a case of "I'm alright now Jack"? Because if you weren't worried about the covid, why would you get yourself an early vaccine?

If you are vaccinated then you will be protected from corona. But if most other's aren't, surging numbers could affect your access to other healthcare. So you still wouldn't want the numbers to spike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Don't worry about the kids, our taoiseach Leo has decided that the extra tax take on the jaegerbomb sales during the extended pub opening hours will save the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

I tend to agree with Luke O'Neill that we'll have travel within europe from september with either a vaccination cert or antigen test required

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

deckie66 wrote: »
    I tend to agree with Luke O'Neill that we'll have travel within europe from september with either a vaccination cert or antigen test required

As long as the cheap antigen test ...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

deckie66 wrote: »
    Yep, just as long as it's not with kids or people who can't get vaccinated.

• Advertisement

Only a fat bollix would feel sorry for the pubs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ooh variants. Ooh fear mongering. Ooh scary!

We know that when viruses evolve they mostly evolve to be more infectious but less lethal. Viruses mutate all the time. No doubt the virus has already evolved within the Irish boundaries but most evolutions make no material difference to humans.

Flu virus mutates every year. The flu vaccine doesn’t inoculate against unknown variants and the vaccine doesn’t even inoculate against all existing variants. Have we forgotten that our hospitals usually have people on trolleys throughout the year due to capacity issues? Every winter the media highlights the issue.

Now I’m not comparing flu to covid, but we can look at virus behaviour. There is plenty of studies on virus behaviour out there. We can’t keep borders closed indefinitely out of a fear of a new variant. We’ll never open them otherwise. As bad as the virus is, it’s no member of the Filoviridae family of viruses.

The reality in my opinion is that intra EU tourist travel will reopen at some point this summer. The U.K. will definitely be back on their holibobs by mid summer. Ireland will come under increasing pressure when our cases numbers are very low and everyone else in Europe is back to some level of normality.

Ireland is the ONLY EU country talking of a mostly full lockdown till May. Irish people will change their tune in a few months, before people are vaccinated. All these calls for hotel quarantines will be replaced by “ah here I’m not paying €2k for a week in rainy Courtown, I want to go to Lanzarote”. However the government will probably have introduced full hotel quarantine for all travelers by then and it will likely stay till after the next winter season.

You reap what you sow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

How do you think it will work with kids ?
    My wife works in a clinic she has had her 1st dose of the vaccine, 2nd dose at beginning of March, so I guess I'll get it by the end of the year, so next summer (2022) if we travel with our kids, will they need to take a test and we not ? or how do people think it will work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

How do you think it will work with kids ?
    My wife works in a clinic she has had her 1st dose of the vaccine, 2nd dose at beginning of March, so I guess I'll get it by the end of the year, so next summer (2022) if we travel with our kids, will they need to take a test and we not ? or how do people think it will work ?
    My own feeling is that they are more aimed at getting things moving again. As a long term option, they bring up more issues than they answer, notably the situation of kids. There is also no universal enthusiasm for them. In the US it's at about 65% and some EU countries are way lower. Whether they will be used long term is another matter and depends what happens in relation to COVID as a disease. If it becomes just another cold, there's no justification for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Only a fat bollix would feel sorry for the pubs.

ALERT! ALERT! We've got ourselves a badass over here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

HBC08 wrote: »
    How would that benefit Ireland?
    Every hotel and bnb in Ireland will be booked solid with staycationers like last year.We don't stand to gain anything from the brits coming over and spreading it.

How has nobody mentioned family members yet?

Hundreds of thousands of Irish have family in the UK. We benefit by getting to actually see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Do you really feel sorry for the pubs? Or do you feel sorry for yourself that you can't go to one.

I'm not knocking you man, but if I remember correctly, you said on here before that you signed up to a vaccine trial. Is it just a case of "I'm alright now Jack"? Because if you weren't worried about the covid, why would you get yourself an early vaccine?

If you are vaccinated then you will be protected from corona. But if most other's aren't, surging numbers could affect your access to other healthcare. So you still wouldn't want the numbers to spike.

You raise some good points, I'm not much of a drinker, It was more thinking of them as businesses. Growing up my family owned a shop in a tourist town and losing one summer would of put the shop under. Never thinking of 2 summers gone!

The other thing is what we starting to see everywhere. Once you have your jab you feel like having your seat belt on. I'm seeing it more and more in the UK. Someone recently called it a soft breaking of the rules which I kind of agree with.

My family in Ireland have had their jabs as they are HCWs, what difference would it make for me gong to see them? As both have a vaccine?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

U.K. aiming to have international travel restrictions lifted by 17th May and all restrictions by 21st June.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0222/1198499-england-restrictions-easing/

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

Gradius wrote: »
    Two obvious questions...

What's a tourist going to be doing here anyway? Practically nothing is open unless you find food shopping the be all end all.

We can't drive down the road yet someone else can swanny over and have a foreign holiday?

Everything I need will be open, the fields, the mountains and the beaches. I couldn't give a monkeys about pubs or restaurants or shopping. Happy to chat to a few relations outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AndOne

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Negative PCR's and 14 day Quarantine, plus flight suspension from Brazil to Portugal all in place, yet 2000 brazilians are arriving into Ireland.. something doesn't add up here...

You are the most negative miserable person i've ever encountered i'd say you sit at home with RTE on loop just shouting at your kids for breathing.

Go outside and enjoy life and stop being so miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jony7788

I would really like

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

Anybody know/guess whether travel will be allowed withing the common travel area (UK,Ireland, NI) from 19th July (for those who are fully vaccinated)?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

john9876 wrote: »
    Anybody know/guess whether travel will be allowed withing the common travel area (UK,Ireland, NI) from 19th July (for those who are fully vaccinated)?
    I'm going to hazard a guess that it will be fine. Its 6 weeks away.
    The fear was that the Delta (Indian) variant would be more infectious and would swamp the UK, and thus us too.

Reports from the UK in the last couple of days are positive concerning vaccine efficacy against that variant.

Advertisement