Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

ypres5 wrote: »
    what was the pay like for the jobs? remind me again

Legally, it would have to be at least minimum wage.

They will have to relax restrictions very quickly. Otherwise the rumblings about an insurrection on Easter Weekend won't be pretty.

A hashtag isn't a rebellion lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Legally, it would have to be at least minimum wage.

No job “has” to pay minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

ypres5 wrote: »
    what was the pay like for the jobs? remind me again

Probably a task rate. Floored by minimum rate.

So you'd do well if they work hard. If you're lazy or slow, you probably wouldn't get so much.

But probably like most people who haven't done such work recently, or never had to do it, you assume somehow that you could do it, and that you'd be good at it. You likely condescendingly think there is no skill or effort involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Keelings import deflation by bringing in cheap labour. Similarly, we can import deflation by bringing in cheap goods, i.e. clothing manfucatured in a sweatshop in Bangledesh.

What can't be deflated are housing, education and healthcare costs.

• Advertisement

No job “has” to pay minimum wage.

Ah now, the rate for picking strawberries is in the Constitution. I mean google. Or the citizens information. One of them. All the same so they are.

growleaves wrote: »
    Keelings import deflation by bringing in cheap labour. Similarly, we can import deflation by bringing in cheap goods, i.e. clothing manfucatured in a sweatshop in Bangledesh.

What can't be deflated are housing, education and healthcare costs.

I don't know about that. Some of the legal scholars on here might be due an oul' education refund if they paid big money for it ;)

You likely condescendingly think there is no skill or effort involved.

Right. Hence why we should object to their being underpaid. Though if they were paid a fair wage they wouldn't be brought into the country in the first place.

I don't know about that. Some of the legal scholars on here might be due an oul' education refund if they paid big money for it ;)

Lol

Right. Hence why we should object to their being underpaid. Though if they were paid a fair wage they wouldn't be brought into the country in the first place.

I didn't say that they were underpaid. On a task rate then the better pickers would get well paid. A random soft poster on boards.ie probably wouldn't be hitting minimums and would be falling back to statutory minimum.

It's a seasonal job so they move around.

• Advertisement

Agreed regarding the vaccine See below article regarding the usefulness of said vaccine.

Where we going with this .. Who knows but restrictions should be reducing not increasing a year on.

According to the medics, and governments...

If I get vaccinated: 💉💉💉

* Moderna Vaccine
    * Pfizer BioNTech Vaccine
    * Astra Zeneca Oxford Vaccine
    * Johnson & Johnson Vaccine

1.- Can I stop wearing the mask?
    Government Response - No

2.- Can they reopen restaurants, pubs, bars etc and everyone work normally?
    Government Response - No

3.- Will I be resistant to covid?
    Government Response - Maybe, but we don't know exactly, it probably won't stop you getting it

4.- At least I won't be contagious to others anymore?
    Government Response - No you can still pass it on, possibly, nobody knows.

5.- If we vaccinate all children, will school resume normally?
    Government Response - No

6.- If I am vaccinated, can I stop social distancing?
    Government Response - No

7.- If I am vaccinated, can I stop disinfecting my hands?
    Government Response - No

8.- If I vaccinate myself and my family and friends, can we hug each other?
    Government Response - No

9.- Will cinemas, theatres and stadiums be reopened thanks to vaccines?
    Government Response - No

10.- Will the vaccinated be able to gather?
    Government Response - No

11.- What is the real benefit of vaccination?
    Government Response - The virus won't kill you but you might need a vaccine boaster injection for a few years.

12.- Are you sure it won't kill me?
    Government Response - No

13.- If statistically the virus won't kill me anyway ... Why would I get vaccinated?"
    Government Response - To protect others.

14.- So if I get vaccinated, the others are 100% sure I'm not infecting them?
    Government Response - No

So to summarise, the Covid19 vaccine...

Does not give immunity.
    Does not eliminate the virus.
    Does not prevent death.
    Does not guarantee you won’t get it.
    Dont prevent you getting it.
    Does not stop you passing it on
    Does eliminate travel bans.
    Does not eliminate the need for business closures.
    Does not eliminate the need for lockdowns.
    Does not eliminate the need for masking.

So...what the hell is it actually doing?

What is most instructive in post such as this is not the content, it’s is the stream of clueless thanks to what is essentially pure horsesh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

What is most instructive in post such as this is not the content, it’s is the stream of clueless thanks to what is essentially pure horsesh*t
    Nah I wasn’t one bit clueless thanking it and definitely was not horsesh*t unlike ur one.

I didn't say that they were underpaid. On a task rate then the better pickers would get well paid. A random soft poster on boards.ie probably wouldn't be hitting minimums and would be falling back to statutory minimum.

It's a seasonal job so they move around.

They are paid less than Irish people who did the same work in the 1990s, when you adjust for currency and inflation.

The propaganda about Irish people being "soft", "unwilling to work" etc. is for marks - unless you are the CEO of a fruit company or a perhaps a construction company, in which case you are the deceiver rather than the deceived.

Cheap labour is brought in to deflate costs. No other reason.

Even the propaganda terms are lazily borrowed without editing. "Jobs Americans won't do" becomes "Jobs Irish won't do".

fin12 wrote: »
    Nah I wasn’t one bit clueless thanking it and definitely was not horsesh*t unlike ur one.

No, it's a pile of unresearched garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Back from a spin from my local beach. Such a nice day out today and there is a large crowd around walking in pairs and stopping to chat with other people. People sitting down drinking coffee and chatting, and families buying chips for their children.

Lots of young people around in groups and they are acting normal. Looks like the NPHET message is falling apart.

It seems that fewer people care about the daily news briefings and the 'stay at home' message. Nobody is going to stay at home during nice weather.

The warmer it gets outside over the coming weeks and months, you'll start seeing gatherings in gardens with a few beers. Loud music coming from houses will be making a comeback like last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

https://twitter.com/Niall_Boylan/status/1363141503527358465?s=20

Utter insanity, 10 cases per 100K is an unattainable goal with an endemic virus - even with vaccination.
    I don't understand why govts want to destroy the hospitality trade ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

RobitTV wrote: »
    Back from a spin from my local beach. Such a nice day out today and there is a large crowd around walking in pairs and stopping to chat with other people. People sitting down drinking coffee and chatting, and families buying chips for their children.

Lots of young people around in groups and they are acting normal. Looks like the NPHET message is falling apart.

It seems that fewer people care about the daily news briefings and the 'stay at home' message. Nobody is going to stay at home during nice weather.

The warmer it gets outside over the coming weeks and months, you'll start seeing gatherings in gardens with a few beers. Loud music coming from houses will be making a comeback like last summer.

Same on grafton st and merrion square. Nice to see people havin some social interaction. Lots of people havin sandwiches, coffee ice cream etc.

https://twitter.com/Niall_Boylan/status/1363141503527358465?s=20

Utter insanity, 10 cases per 100K is an unattainable goal with an endemic virus - even with vaccination.
    I don't understand why govts want to destroy the hospitality trade ...

10 cases per hundred k per week in the UK is in or around 7,500 cases a week, or 1k a day. Completely achievable once the majority are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Not sure if this has been posted already or not, cannot read the article behind the paywall. It even has Dr Zero Craic side eyeing it though...

https://twitter.com/drzerocraic/status/1363432154974281728?s=21

hynesie08 wrote: »
    10 cases per hundred k per week in the UK is in or around 7,500 cases a week, or 1k a day. Completely achievable once the majority are vaccinated.

Why do "case numbers" even matter post-vaccination? If anything we should be trying to speed up herd immunity at that point, no?

If we are still trying to suppress cases then is that something to do with new variants/Long Covid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Why do "case numbers" even matter post-vaccination? If anything we should be trying to speed up herd immunity at that point, no?

If we are still trying to suppress cases then is that something to do with new variants/Long Covid?

Exactly they should be using hospitalisations as a metric not cases at the vaccinated stage, of course they won't , they need their excuse to make this last forever....

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Agreed regarding the vaccine See below article regarding the usefulness of said vaccine.

Where we going with this .. Who knows but restrictions should be reducing not increasing a year on.

According to the medics, and governments...

If I get vaccinated: 💉💉💉

* Moderna Vaccine
    * Pfizer BioNTech Vaccine
    * Astra Zeneca Oxford Vaccine
    * Johnson & Johnson Vaccine

1.- Can I stop wearing the mask?
    Government Response - No

2.- Can they reopen restaurants, pubs, bars etc and everyone work normally?
    Government Response - No

3.- Will I be resistant to covid?
    Government Response - Maybe, but we don't know exactly, it probably won't stop you getting it

4.- At least I won't be contagious to others anymore?
    Government Response - No you can still pass it on, possibly, nobody knows.

5.- If we vaccinate all children, will school resume normally?
    Government Response - No

6.- If I am vaccinated, can I stop social distancing?
    Government Response - No

7.- If I am vaccinated, can I stop disinfecting my hands?
    Government Response - No

8.- If I vaccinate myself and my family and friends, can we hug each other?
    Government Response - No

9.- Will cinemas, theatres and stadiums be reopened thanks to vaccines?
    Government Response - No

10.- Will the vaccinated be able to gather?
    Government Response - No

11.- What is the real benefit of vaccination?
    Government Response - The virus won't kill you but you might need a vaccine boaster injection for a few years.

12.- Are you sure it won't kill me?
    Government Response - No

13.- If statistically the virus won't kill me anyway ... Why would I get vaccinated?"
    Government Response - To protect others.

14.- So if I get vaccinated, the others are 100% sure I'm not infecting them?
    Government Response - No

So to summarise, the Covid19 vaccine...

Does not give immunity.
    Does not eliminate the virus.
    Does not prevent death.
    Does not guarantee you won’t get it.
    Dont prevent you getting it.
    Does not stop you passing it on
    Does eliminate travel bans.
    Does not eliminate the need for business closures.
    Does not eliminate the need for lockdowns.
    Does not eliminate the need for masking.

So...what the hell is it actually doing?

Where are all the Branch Covidians to offer a rebuttal to this post? Suspiciously quiet.

Not sure if this has been posted already or not, cannot read the article behind the paywall. It even has Dr Zero Craic side eyeing it though...

Wait the waiting lists that have been years long for decades ?

Have NPHET just basically admitted to the fact they want infinite lockdowns ??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The law of diminishing returns.

People will follow severe restrictions for a while but the longer it goes on the less they care. And after the guts of a year indoors many have just zoned it out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Lots of young people around in groups and they are acting normal. Looks like the NPHET message is falling apart. The warmer it gets outside over the coming weeks and months, you'll start seeing gatherings in gardens with a few beers. Loud music coming from houses will be making a comeback like last summer.

Breaking News! Sky has clouds!

Yes I think we know people are allowed to exercise outdoors and within 5km of their residence

People can even walk / exercise outside with family members of their household. People may meet with people from another household in outdoor settings when taking exercise. Afaik there's no prohibition on chatting. Doesn't mean there is a mass uprising btw.

Btw what is a "large crowd walking around in pairs"? You mean couples taking exercise? And there's the usual feral teenagers? Now there's a surprise ;)

Near me yesterday evening
    544478.jpg

and today lunchtime

544479.jpg

This has been this way for limited times during the day (terraces and indoor dining open) and all day take away - for weeks, and cases are not exploding in Spain, quite the opposite in fact.

I don't know why they can't do the same in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

I’d like to know which bootlicker leaked the letter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

Parachutes wrote: »
    Where are all the Branch Covidians to offer a rebuttal to this post? Suspiciously quiet.

Because they have swallowed the kool aid hook,line and sinker from the sainted Tony and the rest of the nphet bull****ters

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

gozunda wrote: »
    Breaking News! Sky has clouds!

Yes I think we know people are allowed to exercise outdoors and within 5km of their residence

People can even walk / exercise outside with family members of their household. People may meet with people from another household in outdoor settings when taking exercise. Afaik there's no prohibition on chatting. Doesn't mean there is a mass uprising btw.

Btw what is a "large crowd walking around in pairs"? You mean couples taking exercise? And there's the usual feral teenagers? Now there's a surprise ;)

Was a poll taken to ascertain how many broke 5km restrictions to be there? I mean, if I lived near a beach and the sun was out again after such miserable weather I'd be out in it, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The law of diminishing returns.

People will follow severe restrictions for a while but the longer it goes on the less they care. And after the guts of a year indoors many have just zoned it out now.

Even NPHET knows that . Back last April I remember Leo saying that the window for a lockdown was very small and they had to time it right for maximum benefit
    He said 6/7 weeks was the timing for a full lockdown as after that non compliance creeps in
    The Government need to read the room now and give a little or risk loosing the people

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement