Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Wait the waiting lists that have been years long for decades ?

Have NPHET just basically admitted to the fact they want infinite lockdowns ??

That's what I was thinking! There are over 800,000 people on waiting lists here. It's just mental to suggest lockdown until that is sorted!
    Can you imagine what will happen when the hospital numbers improve and non covid conditions start to be addressed again- the people who have been putting off a trip to the doctor with a small lump or pain or whatever will then go and be added to these waiting lists.
    There's a thread in the conspiracy thread called something like All Covid measures are here to stay I'm beginning to wonder!:confused:

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

growleaves wrote: »
    They are paid less than Irish people who did the same work in the 1990s, when you adjust for currency and inflation.

Well you see, that's not true.

The first minimum wage in Ireland was 5.58 Euro (4.40 punts) in April 2000

Current one is 10.20 Euro. Using the official CPI calculator from the CSI, 10.20 in Jan 2021. That has the same purchasing power as 7.46 would have had in April 2000.

Add to that, that in the 90's, a lot of that work was done cash-in-hand and some of it was done by people who were signing on and working on the side. It generally wasn't high paying. If you think people were getting paid more than the equivalent of 10.20 an hour today, you weren't around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Was a poll taken to ascertain how many broke 5km restrictions to be there? I mean, if I lived near a beach and the sun was out again after such miserable weather I'd be out in it, too.

I'm sure it's all above board. Surely no one would break the 5k limit

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Near me yesterday evening
    544478.jpg

and today lunchtime

544479.jpg

This has been this way for limited times during the day (terraces and indoor dining open) and all day take away - for weeks, and cases are not exploding in Spain, quite the opposite in fact.

I don't know why they can't do the same in Ireland.

Was going to say that doesn't look like Ballybunnion :pac:

Id guess mainly because the weather is absolute ****e at the moment. If you sat outside here t he chances are you'll most likely get Pneumonia or a bad case of rust.

Oh yeah the other reason is that Spain didn't win first prize with the world's highest infection rate less than a month ago and is able to ease its recent restrictions before us.

fin12 wrote: »
    Nah I wasn’t one bit clueless thanking it and definitely was not horsesh*t unlike ur one.

You mean like this gem?

That has to a f*cking joke and reading this the vaccines are useless so basically because last summer we caould dine inside but now even with a vaccine and months of administering it, we can’t dine inside. So basically I’m going to read as the vaccines are a load of sh*t if we have to live under more restrictions than we did last years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

gozunda wrote: »
    Breaking News! Sky has clouds!

Yes I think we know people are allowed to exercise outdoors and within 5km of their residence

People can even walk / exercise outside with family members of their household. People may meet with people from another household in outdoor settings when taking exercise. Afaik there's no prohibition on chatting. Doesn't mean there is a mass uprising btw.

Btw what is a "large crowd walking around in pairs"? You mean couples taking exercise? And there's the usual feral teenagers? Now there's a surprise ;)

Afternoon how are you? :D welcome back!

When did I suggest anything about a 'mass uprising'? you are a good comedian coming up with this nonsense :pac: why do you lie and not even engage with the truth?

There is a large crowd around in general. Surely that isn't hard even for you to understand without twisting my sentences and making a song and dance about everything people say :pac: twisting the truth again.

Go outside and enjoy yourself and get some sun.

Why do "case numbers" even matter post-vaccination? If anything we should be trying to speed up herd immunity at that point, no?

If we are still trying to suppress cases then is that something to do with new variants/Long Covid?

Because they still have to be able to cope with the ones that do catch it. Don't forget that we have seen a lot of weeks of chaos in hospitals during the peaks we have seen so far.

And that is with less than 5% of the population having tested positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    I'm sure it's all above board. Surely no one would break the 5k limit

I'm sure some will and do. But a busy beach doesn't automatically equate to lots of people have decided to no longer adhere to restrictions. I know some want it to mean that but it's not evidence of that at all. How many were just locals out on a stroll in nice weather? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

I see over on the main tread there off again about how the killer virus could get in tru your eyes and about wearing goggles as well as the mask.unbelievable how some want to exist let alone live

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Id guess mainly because the weather is absolute ****e at the moment. If you sat outside here t he chances are you'll most likely get Pneumonia or a bad case of rust.

Oh yeah the other reason is that Spain didn't win first prize with the world's highest infection rate less than a month ago and is able to ease its recent restrictions before us.

You are completely wrong on that point..
    Lanzarote was placed in level 4 last month (there were only 3 levels in the Canaries so it's kind of like Level 6 for us) and their cases per 100k were higher than ours at the time.

And all non-essential retail and outdoor dining/drinking was still allowed until 6pm.
    Guess what? their cases have plummeted all the same.

• Advertisement

I see over on the main tread there off again about how the killer virus could get in tru your eyes and about wearing goggles as well as the mask.unbelievable how some want to exist let alone live

But that's not news.

They said that at the start that people who wore glasses would actually get some minor additional protection from wearing them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It's grand out where I am anyway. Plenty of people out and about and sitting around having coffee.

Spain's 7 day incidence per 100k was higher than ours as of the 18th. https://www.statista.com/statistics/1139048/coronavirus-case-rates-in-the-past-7-days-in-europe-by-country/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Not sure if this has been posted already or not, cannot read the article behind the paywall. It even has Dr Zero Craic side eyeing it though...

https://twitter.com/drzerocraic/status/1363432154974281728?s=21

Here's the relevant bit
    It is critical that non-Covid health and social care services are resumed as quickly as possible subject to national risk assessments . . . this will require that all other restrictions remain in place while these services recommence.”

So a phased reopening with priority to the health service. Not quite as extreme as the headline dictates...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Because they still have to be able to cope with the ones that do catch it. Don't forget that we have seen a lot of weeks of chaos in hospitals during the peaks we have seen so far.

And that is with less than 5% of the population having tested positive.

At what point will suppression of symptoms (through vaccination) ease pressure on the health system?

Unfortunately you are talking nonsense.
    Lanzarote was placed in level 4 last month (there were only 3 levels in the Canaries so it's kind of like Level 6 for us) and their cases per 100k were higher than ours at the time.

And all non-essential retail and outdoor dining/drinking was still allowed until 6pm.
    Guess what? their cases have plummeted all the same.

Numbers here were tiny last Summer. And Ireland effectively eliminated the strains that were here at that time.

Weather pays a large part. We were told that at the start. The Spanish flu was even referenced and how that seemed to disappear after it initially arrived, only to come back after the Summer in a more virulent form.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

Does what others do bother you? It isnt harming anyone is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

What the absolute f**k are you raving about?

At what point will suppression of symptoms (through vaccination) ease pressure on the health system?

I don't know that. But the people who are telling us, should have an idea.

In the last peak, according to the reports at the time, the hospitals were basically into surge capacity. That was on 6000 new cases a day, and with a tapering up, and tapering down. If they could cope comfortably with say a constant 1500 per day, that's still only 2 out of every thousand people catching it a week.

Simplistic figures of course. But gives an idea of orders of magnitude.

robbiezero wrote: »

He is a borderline troll. Don't waste a moment more of your energy and time. He does not engage with the truth and misrepresents what people say. It's a hopeless situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Here's the relevant bit

So a phased reopening with priority to the health service. Not quite as extreme as the headline dictates...

I don’t care how extreme or not you think the article is. The fact nphet are suggesting keeping restrictions for non-covid waiting lists and health issues unrelated to it surely has you concerned?
    Suddenly it isn’t about covid, suddenly this is about other health issues that have always existed?
    What would be the motivation in suggesting this in your opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

robbiezero wrote: »

12c here in Kildare and dry. :confused:

Some folk just have a dark cloud following them 24/7 which explains the stuff they post on here.

RobitTV wrote: »
    He is a borderline troll. Don't waste a moment more of your energy and time. He does not engage with the truth and misrepresents what people say. It's a hopeless situation.

Would you sit outside in Ireland along a beach in February to have a pint if a pub nearby was open?

You'd be more likely to be huddled inside by the fire. That's the simple point.

Lundstram wrote: »

Some folk just have a dark cloud following them 24/7 which explains the stuff they post on here.

Am I missing something?

Outdoor dining and drinking is banned here at the moment regardless of the weather?

Would you sit outside in Ireland along a beach in February to have a pint if a pub nearby was open?

That conversation was not the reason why I called him a borderline troll. Another user was engaged in that conversation. Not me.

Today is a nice day, it wouldn't be the worst day to sit outside. I can 100% understand why you wouldn't want to sit outside most of the time though.

Day like today I'd be all over it.

St Annes park and Dollymount are littered with picnickers all day, hardly a stretch to have a pint or a plate of chips outside a pub/restaurant is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

12c dry and sunny in Dublin. Lots of people walking and cycling. A few of the cyclists had the look of people who were beyond their 5km limit.

Still waiting for the clear and concise exit plan.

Sure no need for you to go to Tenerife so.

Buy an oul' sunlounger and put it in the back garden. Take a week off work and sure just enjoy yourself

Everyone will be happy.

It's a lovely day for a stroll, but not a hope would i be sitting outside in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

You mean like this gem?

But you never seem to try offer any rebuttal to these posts. If you can back up your opinions, fine but more and more these lockdown people can’t seem to offer anymore than ‘look at this gem’ ‘alright, Gemma O Doherty’ or ‘nice tinfoil hat'

The fanaticism towards lockdowns and restrictions among some would seem to me to be about more than just containing a relatively mild virus for the vast majority of the population.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement