Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

RobitTV wrote: »
    RTE is saying that the 'living with covid' plan includes this piece of information:

It is thought that pubs which don't serve food may not re-open until autumn.

I think this is a very emotional moment for these publicans. These are real people and they have worked hard for years or even decades in some cases to keep their pub running. We need to understand where they are coming from. Many of these publicans are not wealthy by any means.

They will receive government assistance but it won't enough to cover the bills overall as time progresses. There is not much point keeping hold of an empty pub.

Honestly I think the pub game is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

SnuggyBear wrote: »

It is time for the pub owners to start thinking for themselves and open the businesses up. Last call.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I wish I lived near a beach! I'm an early bird so usually go for a walk early in the mornings when I can. It's very quiet early at the weekend but not so much during the week. Not the same as a coastal walk though :)

Yeah I sometimes don't realise how lucky I may be compared to many other people across the country. Even though I find this lockdown situation increasingly tedious, I am in a much better position to go out for a coastal walk.

I do feel for those people who live in a city centre or a suburb. It can be tough to find the correct location for a decent and peaceful walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The tide is turning in Europe

In Berlin all 12 'Amtsaerzte' (heads of district health boards) wrote this weekend a letter to the Berlin state government which is discussed today in the local papers.

Key points are
    • A strategy shift must happen
    • No more linking of relaxations/opening or not to case numbers/incidence rates. As they fluctuate with test volumes and test strategy and willingness of getting tested these rates do not represent the actual infection rates and are largely arbitrary
    • Increase protection of risk groups instead, establish an early warning system with numbers based on actual cases (actually sick) separated by risk groups/age groups. They say it is a big difference if we have 1000 cases in students or in senior citizens. Vaccinations rates in age groups must also play into it
    • NoCovid ideas were criticised sharply. These do not reflect the realities of every day life and even public health as they completely dismiss all other areas than covid
    • Focus on vaccination and educate on vaccinations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

aziz wrote: »
    He needs a good swift kick in the bollox

Or a brick through the living room window. Whichever is easier to implement.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

Yeah agreed 100%. And It's great to get outside and go down to the beach if possible. I live close enough to a beach and I'm very lucky. I know some people who don't live near coastal or scenic locations and it must be very tough to get some fresh air and some peace and quiet.

Sorry, double post!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

SnuggyBear wrote: »

The traditional Irish pub is finished. Wetherspoons is the template for the pub scene in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

The traditional Irish pub is finished. Wetherspoons is the template for the pub scene in the future.

Ahh I don’t know about that. The market was clearly there before all this and if anything, the desire for a traditional pub has only increased these past 11 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

He's a crafty fox(although his business ethics sicken me somewhat). He's been buying up the pubs left right and centre that have gone bust since covid. So you can be assured our wonderful traditional Irish pubs will make a tasty carcass for him to pick over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

He's a crafty fox(although his business ethics sicken me somewhat). He's been buying up the pubs left right and centre that have gone bust since covid. So you can be assured our wonderful traditional Irish pubs will make a tasty carcass for him to pick over.

No he hasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I think tweets like this are very sad. The guy was going on a cycle. (He may have been trying to provoke a response) but her response to his tweet was not necessary. Tagging @GardaInfo in her tweet.

https://twitter.com/CatherineRotteM/status/1363533889822728196

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

"A ship in the harbour is safe but that's not what ships are built for."

Its a bit soul destroying to see Israel opening shops, gyms, swimming pools and hospitality and here we have NEPHET saying that we can LOOK FORWARD to the possibility of them looking at the possible mixing of some households "down the line"....possibly by early summer.
    June is early summer. JUNE.

Scraps from the table aren't quite good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭aziz

Ahh I don’t know about that. The market was clearly there before all this and if anything, the desire for a traditional pub has only increased these past 11 months!

Traditional pubs were dying a death before COVID reared its ugly head and by the time they will get to reopen they will probably get a brief renaissance but the inevitable tax hikes on alcohol in future budgets will kill them in their tracks.

People will have spent probably a year and a half out of them and have become used to drinking at home especially in their improved gardens or home bar.

A night in the pub will be a rare and expensive excursion

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Its a bit soul destroying to see Israel opening shops, gyms, swimming pools and hospitality and here we have NEPHET saying that we can LOOK FORWARD to the possibility of them looking at the possible mixing of some households "down the line"....possibly by early summer.
    June is early summer. JUNE.

Scraps from the table aren't quite good enough

And Philip Nolan was so good to tell us we might even be allowed some fresh air this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 32,717 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think tweets like this are very sad. The guy was going on a cycle. (He may have been trying to provoke a response) but her response to his tweet was not necessary. Tagging @GardaInfo in her tweet.

FoLlOw the science..... Total tosser

And Philip Nolan was so good to tell us we might even be allowed some fresh air this summer

Possibly allowed some fresh air....possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It was on FM104 actually so no avoiding it by blacklisting RTE et al.
    I reckon he isnt reaching enough of the younger demographic with his message of death and despair by sticking with RTE.

Unfortunately the antivaxers are amongst us. There was a absolutely atrocious post a while back copied from some bs Facebook page

The doom and gloom merchants seem to just love a good old pandemic / natural disaster to start off on a spiel. RTE should be taken to order for that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

nj27 wrote: »
    The coast along Clontarf today is probably the busiest I have ever seen it, including the height of summer. No sign of the rozzers anywhere. Didn’t feel much like January’s level 5.

They were all down in blackrock checking peoples addresses on google maps to make sure they were within 5k and making sure nobody used the public seating for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thebronze14

What a twitter handle!Embarassing. Thankfully any comments underneath are tearing her apart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

fullstop wrote: »
    They were all down in blackrock checking peoples addresses on google maps to make sure they were within 5k and making sure nobody used the public seating for some reason.

What a waste of time.

gozunda wrote: »
    Unfortunately the antivaxers are amongst us. There was a absolutely atrocious post a while back copied from some bs Facebook page

The doom and gloom merchants seem to just love a good old pandemic / natural disaster to start off on a spiel. RTE should be taken to order for that though.

I'm not anti-vax. I reckon its one of those things that adults need to decide for themselves whether or not they want to take the vaccine.
    But to say the vaccines wont work is dangerous without data to back it up.
    Fair enough if he is privy to this info, share by all means and lets get on with life with or without the vaccine but this state of limbo is no intolerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

I actually came here to see if anyone else heard it as I thought I had imagined it!! Chaps an absolute fruit loop coming out with that and moreover no-one is calling him out on it. Aren't RTE running a TV ad a long while now about "only believe in trusted sources for your info" ie them and their cohorts and then McConkey gets on the airwaves spouting unadulterated, and quite frankly, incredibly dangerous garbage.
    He said there were 3 cases of the Brazillian variant and the vaccine wont work and this is why we should be all "terrified"!!
    Terrified the man says!!!
    Sweet divine baby Jesus...what the hell is going on? I'm sorry but this is going way to far with the joke. Giving someone like him freedom to spout this(and not for his first time)type of thing to the masses is madness and its now time people really woke up and started to think for themselves in relation to this total sham of a situation. These guys in well paid jobs and are peddling rubbish.

Believe me there is only one thing I have been terrified of the last 4 or 5 months and thats the 28th of each month.
    The day my mortgage is due.

and some people here in favour of restrictions point to opinion polls that the majority of the public are in favour of the lockdowns. it's no wonder that's the case considering how one sided and biased the press is. theres never been any discussion or debate on the matter it's always been 'we need lockdown the question is just how long itll be this time' i guarantee you that when we reopen in the summer that the first thing theyll discuss is when or if we need to shut down again

i wouldn't be surprised if there has been some amount of communication between him and the government as to the fate of these buildings if and when the publicans sell up. I know if i was a publican i would've thrown in the towel months ago with the way they've been treated. since christmas youd swear pubs and restaurants were selling heroin to teenagers the way the press and government have lambasted them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

ypres5 wrote: »
    and some people here in favour of restrictions point to opinion polls that the majority of the public are in favour of the lockdowns. it's no wonder that's the case considering how one sided and biased the press is. theres never been any discussion or debate on the matter it's always been 'we need lockdown the question is just how long itll be this time' i guarantee you that when we reopen in the summer that the first thing theyll discuss is when or if we need to shut down again

Well you see, some people have to get out and work. Those bitching and moaning about lockdown appear to be predominantly those with handy remote jobs (or none) sitting behind the safety of their keyboards

I challenge you to find me any sort of critical mass of actual frontline workers who want no restrictions.

It's handy for you to sit there and whine because if the **** hits the fan and things deteriorate rapidly, it won't affect you. If a close family member catches it and dies, sure you probably will be too obsessed with trying to find a cheap airbnb in Spain to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

TheDoctor wrote: »
    What a waste of time.

Exactly. Sure way to piss people off. First weekend in a while it hasn’t been pissing rain. If people want to get a coffee, so what? One of them walking up the queue saying “get your coffee and go home, coffee isn’t essential”. **** off.

catherine should just shut up and be grateful she's gotten her vaccine. the entire planet came to a standstill to keep the likes of her safe while the rest of us are waiting for months to get our shot. but whatever if playing the school snitch on someone cycling down some boreen makes her feel good about herself who am i to judge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

fullstop wrote: »
    Exactly. Sure way to piss people off. First weekend in a while it hasn’t been pissing rain. If people want to get a coffee, so what? One of them walking up the queue saying “get your coffee and go home, coffee isn’t essential”. **** off.

Is that quote real?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There was a poster on here earlier bragging that he was going to to the same thing. Possibly the same person.

Imagine feeling the need to brag that you are going to cycle your bike and what's more, you are such a full-time-lycra-clad-mad-bastard-oul-fella that need to advertise to everyone that you are breaking some rules.

What a rebel :pac:

Edit: Here is a quote from earlier in the thread
    silverharp wrote: »
    Im going for a cycle down to wicklow in a little bit , fck the 5K! Im following the science

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement