Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Hate to be that guy, but...

5km from your home describes 31.4 km^2 area you're allowed to move around in.
    Within that area you can travel as many kilometres as you like.
    But you can still only travel 5km from your home.

Hate to be that guy, but...the area of a circle with a radius of 5km is 78.54sqkm.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I actually came here to see if anyone else heard it as I thought I had imagined it!! Chaps an absolute fruit loop coming out with that and moreover no-one is calling him out on it. Aren't RTE running a TV ad a long while now about "only believe in trusted sources for your info" ie them and their cohorts and then McConkey gets on the airwaves spouting unadulterated, and quite frankly, incredibly dangerous garbage.
    He said there were 3 cases of the Brazillian variant and the vaccine wont work and this is why we should be all "terrified"!!
    Terrified the man says!!!
    Sweet divine baby Jesus...what the hell is going on? I'm sorry but this is going way to far with the joke. Giving someone like him freedom to spout this(and not for his first time)type of thing to the masses is madness and its now time people really woke up and started to think for themselves in relation to this total sham of a situation. These guys in well paid jobs and are peddling rubbish.

Believe me there is only one thing I have been terrified of the last 4 or 5 months and thats the 28th of each month.
    The day my mortgage is due.

You must ask the question though as to why McConkey is so loud. It’s because everyone has stopped listening to him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Lundstram wrote: »
    So what? Being a frontline worker gives her immunity from criticism?

Who said on here being a front line worker gives her immunity from critism ,

The other poster said

"catherine should just shut up and be grateful she's gotten her vaccine. the entire planet came to a standstill to keep the likes of her safe while the rest of us are waiting for months to get our shot"

She got the vaccine because shes a frontline worker is the point l was making .

But you obviously didn't read the posts properly .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

You must ask the question though as to why McConkey is so loud. It’s because everyone has stopped listening to him

Have we not based our response to the virus on the likes of him or his colleagues prediction’s?
    Professor Sam McConkey, the expert epidemiologist who predicted there could be between 80,000 and 120,000 deaths in Ireland from coronavirus. The Government at the time said they were taking such warnings seriously.

Is there another reason why Ireland plans to be an outlier in implementing its severe mitigation measures for another year, other than following outdated, catastrophised science?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

How is mcconkey allowed peddle such rubbish.must be great money in media appearances.the great Samuel who in 2009 predicted over 1 million cases of swine flu in the Republic of Ireland.we ended up with 3000 cases and 20 deaths from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Penfailed wrote: »
    Hate to be that guy, but...the area of a circle with a radius of 5km is 78.54sqkm.

I also hate to be that guy, but the area of a 5km circle on a sphere is a lot less than that, closer to .25 sqkm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

When will hospital visits be allowed again?

My father, who is being treated for cancer, had a stroke two weeks ago. At the time we were called in as it looked like he wouldn't see it through the day. Fortunately over the next couple of days he improved and was moved to a normal wardd. He has no recollection that we saw him. Two weeks on he watched my mother's 6th year anniversary mass alone, on his phone. The nursing staff told us that he has been crying most of the day. His hearing isn't great and he is struggling with his phone.

He seems to be declining physically and emotionally and really needs family support to get through this but we have no idea how and when we will be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

How is mcconkey allowed peddle such rubbish.must be great money in media appearances.the great Samuel who in 2009 predicted over 1 million cases of swine flu in the Republic of Ireland.we ended up with 3000 cases and 20 deaths from it.

I’m sure he laced that prediction with ‘might’, ‘could’ and other cop-outs too.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

Unfortunately people generally stop listening when you make outlandish claims that frighten the bejesus out of people that then turn out to be bunk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

When will hospital visits be allowed again?

My father, who is being treated for cancer, had a stroke two weeks ago. At the time we were called in as it looked like he wouldn't see it through the day. Fortunately over the next couple of days he improved and was moved to a normal wardd. He has no recollection that we saw him. Two weeks on he watched my mother's 6th year anniversary mass alone, on his phone. The nursing staff told us that he has been crying most of the day. His hearing isn't great and he is struggling with his phone.

He seems to be declining physically and emotionally and really needs family support to get through this but we have no idea how and when we will be able to.

sad to read stories like this, hope your Father improves and hope to get to see him soon.

TheDoctor wrote: »

UK miles ahead, we're trailing after with the begging bowl feeding off scraps left out by the EU. You're talking two/three months difference in progress, sheds light on how utterly inept our leaders are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Maurice Byrne

The last thread moved so quickly in the past couple of hours so I don’t know if it was mentioned, but they have stopped processing passport renewals! The most basic right any citizen has is no longer available!!

My wife's friend got her passport within the same week that she applied for it in February 2021.

My wife's friend got her passport within the same week that she applied for it in February 2021.

I must frequent this parallel universe of yours where everything operates like clockwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Sport and outdoor activities to be prioritised in new living with COVID plan
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/lockdown-ireland-governments-new-living-23540708

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

My heart nearly flipped reading that presuming it was our roadmap until I spotted Boris....f**k!

You'd have to wonder though with the all-Island thing....nightclubs open in the North in August..what's gonna stop half the young population herr heading up on a bus for the night! More luck to them if thats what happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Maurice Byrne

UK miles ahead, we're trailing after with the begging bowl feeding off scraps left out by the EU. You're talking two/three months difference in progress, sheds light on how utterly inept our leaders are.

Yes, Ireland looks inept by other country comparisons. I don't compare Ireland to UK anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Looking at the UK plan I'm jealous

There not even putting dates on our plan, guarantee you they won't put a target of vaccination groups/numbers or even a target of cases it will just be a ordered list of what gets to open first etc.

No one will be none the wiser of when anything is open and then they can just leave it till late summer to open anything. I'll be surprised if there is any set target

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Sport and outdoor activities to be prioritised in new living with COVID plan
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/lockdown-ireland-governments-new-living-23540708

And the 5k limit to remain it looks like..depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Penfailed wrote: »

erm...

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47g6w2bgpa4z9u89ff3o4w1ckxd3jg4uabiayw2f2m&rid=giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Have we not based our response to the virus on the likes of him or his colleagues prediction’s?

Is there another reason why Ireland plans to be an outlier in implementing its severe mitigation measures for another year, other than following outdated, catastrophised science?

It doesn’t

McConkey, Staines, Ryan, Killeen etc are not involved in any of the decisions.

Now their view should hold more weight than the man on the street, yet we have not followed and are not following their recommendations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Already jealous of the UK, imagine how we'll all feel in the summer when they're sitting in beer gardens and out playing team sports while the Irish are still begging for the 5km to be extended.

Already jealous of the UK, imagine how we'll all feel in the summer when they're sitting in beer gardens and out playing team sports while the Irish are still begging for the 5km to be extended.

The linked article from the Mirror would put us starting on a similar trajectory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Just read Micheal lehanes article on the RTE website regarding "what we think we know about the new plan". I don't even know what to say. Hopeless. And terribly depressing. Clearly a rulebook made up by our new governors in nphet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

The linked article from the Mirror would put us starting on a similar trajectory

Yeah.. and I'm the Pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Someone would want to tell Boris about the uk variants that Micheál is obsessed with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

I got it the next day in 2019. Couldn't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Juwwi wrote: »
    Who said on here being a front line worker gives her immunity from critism ,

The other poster said

"catherine should just shut up and be grateful she's gotten her vaccine. the entire planet came to a standstill to keep the likes of her safe while the rest of us are waiting for months to get our shot"

She got the vaccine because shes a frontline worker is the point l was making .

But you obviously didn't read the posts properly .

again when i made the post i didn't bother reading her Twitter profile because i don't give a **** about her life story. her being an essential worker doesn't excuse the fact she was trying to get someone in trouble with the police out of some smug sense of satisfaction

• Advertisement

Yeah.. and I'm the Pope.

Well we are jumping first with schools

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement