Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

showpony1 wrote: »
    So we are 600 odd cases now in mid-Feb with old people supposedly being Vaccinated daily, what is the reason for saying now that nothing will be allowed open in Summer?

Who said nothing will be allowed open in summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

This story of extended opening hours post Covid being proposed by some in government cannot possibly be true. We are told on this thread that the want to keep us under restriction forever

Let the government break their silence and contradict Sam McConkey then so there won't be any confusion. Why is this frozen-eyed man appearing in every media outlet touting permanent restrictions?

The red herring of 'new variants' is being dangled in people's faces.

Gibberish phrases like "under promise, over deliver" don't cut it anymore. They are promising nothing and breaking people's morale with vague intimations of the future that disappear into mist.

Multipass wrote: »
    Golf and tennis - both of which require membership fees, and I presume it’s only for people living 5km from the golf course. Typical the elite opening the favourite sports of the elite. Whilst stopping the rest of us going for a free walk in the hills. They can stick living with covid.
    Golf, tennis and other non-contact outdoor sports and training are all going to be considered as part of the next step in reopening the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 johnboy1298

Mimon wrote: »
    Can you back it up with data. Not from some bat**** crazy conspiracy site either please.

I don't think exact figures are officially available yet so all I can really see are headlines, going by them the UK finished last year with 600000 deaths from all causes. Approx 75k are considered excess deaths.

75k excess is a large number on its own but really for a country of 69 million its not that huge. For example we had 31000 deaths total in 2019 so 12.5% excess here would be 3700 deaths so an equivalent excess death % would give us 34700 total deaths in 2020. By CSO data we had a 0.6% increase in deaths in 1st qtr 2019 & a 13% increase in deaths in 2nd quarter 2020 so really I would say when the numbers are actually done factually by the CSO we will come out with a figure somewhere around 5-6% increase in deaths with most of these being excess so about 1500. Again there are no official 2020 figures for Ireland so all guesswork.

Unfortunately though the people the virus missed in 2020 are now being caught in early 2021. We without doubt have our biggest spike in excess deaths since new year. Its all about how long the virus continues to spread, eventually death rates from coronavirus would even out if nothing except lockdowns was done, it would just take longer in some countries than others.

The UK might have suffered in 2020 but if they get over this a lot quicker than us that matters. At this stage tbh its all that matters and we might have done better on 2020 excess deaths but our vaccine rollout is nowhere near what the UK are doing and make no mistake that's because of a failure by the EU to use the size of the EU bloc to prioritise us & lockdown vaccine supply.

I don't think exact figures are officially available yet so all I can really see are headlines, going by them the UK finished last year with 600000 deaths from all causes. Approx 75k are considered excess deaths.

75k excess is a large number on its own but really for a country of 69 million its not that huge. For example we had 31000 deaths total in 2019 so 12.5% excess here would be 3700 deaths so an equivalent excess death % would give us 34700 total deaths in 2020. By CSO data we had a 0.6% increase in deaths in 1st qtr 2019 & a 13% increase in deaths in 2nd quarter 2020 so really I would say when the numbers are actually done factually by the CSO we will come out with a figure somewhere around 5-6% increase in deaths with most of these being excess so about 1500. Again there are no official 2020 figures for Ireland so all guesswork.

Unfortunately though the people the virus missed in 2020 are now being caught in early 2021. We without doubt have our biggest spike in excess deaths since new year. Its all about how long the virus continues to spread, eventually death rates from coronavirus would even out if nothing except lockdowns was done, it would just take longer in some countries than others.

The UK might have suffered in 2020 but if they get over this a lot quicker than us that matters. At this stage tbh its all that matters and we might have done better on 2020 excess deaths but our vaccine rollout is nowhere near what the UK are doing and make no mistake that's because of a failure by the EU to use the size of the EU bloc to prioritise us & lockdown vaccine supply.

A couple of weeks back the uk surged past 100k excess deaths since Covid began and their current Covid death rate is still higher than ours and not falling any faster than ours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Golf and tennis - both of which require membership fees, and I presume it’s only for people living 5km from the golf course. Typical the elite opening the favourite sports of the elite. Whilst stopping the rest of us going for a free walk in the hills. They can stick living with covid.

Golf is not the elite sport you suggest. My club has taxi drivers, public servants, office workers and business owners.
    My understanding of the mirror leak is outdoor activities are under serious consideration for re opening as a sop for Martin's shi&e interview with the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

ypres5 wrote: »
    fair enough i wasnt aware the Sputnik vaccine was having those issues i still think there was more that could've been done by the government. surely we could have made an agreement similar to Israel?
    Your kind of also overlooking a big point....it hasn't been approved by the EMA...
    If Ireland went off buying a vaccine on the side and it did turn out to not be safe or to be ineffective can you imagine the reaction in Ireland?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭showpony1

679 cases in Ireland, and one death.
    what am i supposed to think about that? pretend i care about that one death?
    outrageous millions living this life cause of these numbers, hopefully there is a huge backlash soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

RGS wrote: »
    Golf is not the elite sport you suggest. My club has taxi drivers, public servants, office workers and business owners.
    My understanding of the mirror leak is outdoor activities are under serious consideration for re opening as a sop for Martin's shi&e interview with the mirror.

As long as they ditch the 5km ****e, they can open synchronised swimming for all I care. But Leo is on record saying that golf is a priority. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

gmisk wrote: »
    Your kind of also overlooking a big point....it hasn't been approved by the EMA...
    If Ireland went off buying a vaccine on the side and it did turn out to not be safe or to be ineffective can you imagine the reaction in Ireland?!

hungary have started using it surely if it's good enough for them it's good enough for us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

As long as they ditch the 5km ****e, they can open synchronised swimming for all I care. But Leo is on record saying that golf is a priority. Why?

Outside, socially distanced, no physical contact, slots had to be reserved with a cap on numbers, it's the perfect first sport to lift restrictions on.

hungary have started using it surely if it's good enough for them it's good enough for us?

Yes they have vaccinated fewer of their population than we have ours

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

outrageous millions living this life cause of these numbers, hopefully there is a huge backlash soon.

A consultant af the start of the pandemic on boards, reckoned the public would accept like fifty deaths or thereabouts a day, as the cost for living a normal life. He was wrong, we have zero deaths or this **** show.

How predictable....we are not Hungary....they have approved it for "emergency use".

The bigger picture is, Orban will take any chance he gets to be seen to go against the EU...it plays extremely well to his voters.
    An absolute tonne of stories back that up.

From a very quick Google
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/05/george-soros-orban-turns-to-familiar-scapegoat-as-hungary-rows-with-eu

https://www.dw.com/en/hungary-viktor-orban-rule-of-law-eu-budget/a-55581020

https://www.politico.eu/article/what-should-the-eu-do-about-hungary-coronavirus-viktor-orban/

There are an absolute tonne more.

What other countries in the EU have approved sputnik?
    I can give you the answer...none.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

I agree the 5km needs to go otherwise the opening of any outdoor sports is just window dressing.

I cant talk for Leo but I presume because tennis and golf are played on currently closed facilities that's the reason Leo put some emphasis on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Keep on dreaming, pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

https://twitter.com/onthewaycafeIRL/status/1363454230997180417

But it's all going to be ok because a few posters on here said they were just "temporarily unemployed".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

How predictable....we are not Hungary....they have approved it for "emergency use".

The bigger picture is, Orban will take any chance he gets to be seen to go against the EU...it plays extremely well to his voters.

From a very quick Google
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/05/george-soros-orban-turns-to-familiar-scapegoat-as-hungary-rows-with-eu

https://www.politico.eu/article/what-should-the-eu-do-about-hungary-coronavirus-viktor-orban/

was the attitude at the start really necessary? im just thinking from the position that we put all our eggs in the EU basket and that bit us on the arse. if we can go through our own approval process for Sputnik and if we can get a supply what'll be wrong with that? i know it isn't going to happen as the ship has sailed supply wise but i think it's a shame it wasn't considered

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

From a very quick Google

reminds me of when there was a Polio outbreak in Germany in the 60's, East Germany were using a Russian vaccine and the West Germans wouldnt use it. Medicine and politics are close bedfellows.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Lundstram wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/onthewaycafeIRL/status/1363454230997180417

But it's all going to be ok because a few posters on here said they were just "temporarily unemployed".

Doesn't fit their narrow worldview so they'll conveniently overlook it, no different to the media at large. You won't find this closure featured on RTÉ or the Indo, propaganda machine must be kept turning.

• Advertisement

was the attitude at the start really necessary? im just thinking from the position that we put all our eggs in the EU basket and that bit us on the arse. if we can go through our own approval process for Sputnik and if we can get a supply what'll be wrong with that? i know it isn't going to happen as the ship has sailed supply wise but i think it's a shame it wasn't considered
    I was simply pointing out the important context around why one, and only one country in the eu have approved the sputnik vaccine.
    Personally I would trust the EMA to do a more thorough job of an approval process on a new drug than the Irish equivalent.

If you have an issue with my attitude report my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Tis all about "the numbers", the cases, bugger all to do with people actually being ill. All common sense seems to have gone out the window.

Really do hope your right about a backlash, but:

“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” ― Mark Twain

Doubt he could have envisaged the scale of this one.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Leo getting it in the neck on this twitter thread.

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1363616787514933250?s=20

I actually can’t see one positive comment towards him. A lot of fed up people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Would you sit outside in Ireland along a beach in February to have a pint if a pub nearby was open?

You'd be more likely to be huddled inside by the fire. That's the simple point.

Yes I would, today was a gorgeous day, unfortunately I couldn’t get to a beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I actually can’t see one positive comment towards him. A lot of fed up people out there.

Just a lot of empty shouting and lunatics like Linda hayden. Not one person making an actual point.

Leo is a prick, but rambling at him is just a waste of finger strokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

That's strange, Twitter is usually such a positive oasis of opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Just a lot of empty shouting and lunatics like Linda hayden. Not one person making an actual point.

Leo is a prick, but rambling at him is just a waste of finger strokes.

A few strange comments alright but on the whole they’re comments from normal people who are airing their frustrations. I find it strange how you and others have to dismiss everyone who feels differently to you as “lunatics”. Like it or not but people are turning. Maybe it’s knowing that fact that has you feeling insecure and insulting people

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

'Should be better' saving his own arse with that comment

Perhaps he was enjoying a few glasses of wine tonight posting that. We all know he likes to drink in public to show 'he's one of us and on the same team'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone else not care what the numbers are anymore cause it’s. Seems to me even if we are single figures, we are still locked up and that’s not the best bit... budget 2022, thank u so much for staying at home now here’s a nice new tax as ur rewards. **** this b*stard government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

fin12 wrote: »
    Anyone else not care what the numbers are anymore cause it’s. Seems to me even if we are single figures, we are still locked up and that’s not the best bit... budget 2022, thank u so much for staying at home now here’s a nice new tax as ur rewards. **** this b*stard government.

I gave up following the numbers when I found out they only included cases identified at HSE test centres and did not include the cases identified at the multiple privately run test centres dotted around the country. Figured then that only god knew what the daily number was.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement