Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Do Lockdowns work?

Bearing in mind in early January we had one of the highest level of infection in the world

Bearing in mind for the 9 months previous Ireland had the longest lockdown in Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

By the way, Where is Stephen Donnelly?

Donnelly probably off sulking in a corner as seems to be his thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Do Lockdowns work?

Bearing in mind in early January we had one of the highest level of infection in the world

Do you think that if it was Level 3 that we would have an out of control epidemic on our hands? I do think lockdowns work if they are widely obeyed but they are not obeyed when they last indefinitely long and unsustainably long periods of time, that's the issue and I think we will soon see large resurgences after the festivities of Paddys Day for that exact reason despite the decimation to businesses continuing.

Myself and several others in this thread have been saying for at least the last 9 months that NPHET should not be doing briefings to the public/press and should not have public profiles.

I see people in the main thread and real world are finally coming around to this.

This whole thing is crazy, Everyone who was labelled 'conspiracy theorist' at the start is being proven correct with time.

The awful communication and mixed messaging does not help ‘too many chiefs and not enough Indians’ it’s a really old expression but the first part is true. Who is in charge, said it before we’d a road map under leo at least and we we’re getting somewhere, messaging was much better but now the messaging is terrible all over the place and everyone is an expert. Shambles, people are weary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Monster249 wrote: »
    It's more worthy than your last 5+ posts? Do you just scan these forums to try and antagonize people who are actually interested in progressive discourse?

Ah come on its bs, nobody has been told they are due in March 2022, how could they. Plenty of ammo to attack the govt/nphet without this kind of nonsense which is far from progressive discourse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

NPHET were very foolish to become a fall guy.

They should have insulated themselves like Leo and MM did

Oh and I was one of the others

This was bound to happen. Tony Holohan's "Sunday evening letter" last October was the beginning of a very strained relationship with the government.

They government had a briefing with them on the Thursday, no mention of it, then out of nowhere they were blindsided when NPHET published the letter recommending the move to 5.

It was a pure show of power, how did the media get hold of it the same time as the Taoiseach?

Anyway, looks like the government is letting them reap what they've sown now.

john4321 wrote: »
    Do you believe him?

He said he used some online calculator, I didn’t have reason to doubt him.

Maybe he was full of ****, doesn’t really bother me

Although cornflakes box calculations for both doses at current rates, which currently is 150,000 have had both doses, it’s over 6 years to vaccinate the whole population.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Donnelly probably off sulking in a corner as seems to be his thing

He is out the gap after his term in minister for health.

Although cornflakes box calculations for both doses at current rates, which currently is 150,000 have had both doses, it’s over 6 years to vaccinate the whole population.

The online calculator in fairness is bull****, and only an idiot would give it any credence yet you thought it worthy to post here? I thought someone like you who is pontificating on here every day would be well informed enough to know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Hope you were able to correct him and explain the online calculator is not accurate and based on current vaccination rates which will increase significantly over the next few months with supply.

Why you decided to post that anecdote though I have no idea.

• Advertisement

He is out the gap after his term in minister for health.

Not standing again i hear

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AngeloArgue

Definitely, but you need public buy-in. That begins to wain (it has done & will continue to do so) when you implement them too frequently and for too long.

You will never achieve 100% backing.

I remember discussing organisational change before. It's sometimes said that typically you can expect 20% enthusiasts, 60% go with the flow, and 20% resistance.

As long as 80% are generally buying in you are probably getting as much agreement as you can.

I agree that the rationale for lockdowns should be explained in better and more detailed ways. They should be using these daily briefings in better conveying that message.

The reality is we are flat lining at levels in the 500s. We have a new more contagious variant now the dominant variant in the country. Our European neighbour are entering their third waves. Our vulnerable elderly and sick have yet to be vaccinated. The vaccines are ramping up and their is an imminent brighter prospect of a safer and more permanent opening up than the one the Government was pressured into in the lead up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Do you believe him?

Probably used the online calculator. No idea how accurate that is.

According to the calculator, I'm due it in October, whilst more at risk family members are due it in 2022.

Better communication than NPHET and the HSE in fairness.

MOR316 wrote: »
    Probably used the online calculator. No idea how accurate that is.

According to the calculator, I'm due it in October, whilst more at risk family members are due it in 2022.

Better communication than NPHET and the HSE in fairness.

They can find out when they are going to pass away as well it will probably be as accurate.

https://www.death-clock.org/

The online calculator in fairness is bull****, and only an idiot would give it any credence yet you thought it worthy to post here? I thought someone like you who is pontificating on here every day would be well informed enough to know this?

Will you do me a favour and put me on ignore?

Most of your posts are directly inflammatory while implying the poster your debating with is an idiot, it’s a fast track to a ban for anyone to engage

They can find out when they are going to pass away as well it will probably be as accurate.

https://www.death-clock.org/

I live my life, knowing I'm going to die anyways so...*

*Within the 5km of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://twitter.com/poggs/status/1372847103140069376

Seeing as it looks like we're just going to be stuck with this level of restrictions no matter how things go, better to look on what little bright side there is. Cheered me up a little bit at least that comment :(

Will you do me a favour and put me on ignore?

Most of your posts are directly inflammatory while implying the poster your debating with is an idiot, it’s a fast track to a ban for anyone to engage

Impying someone is an idiot? It was me that was called an idiot but whatever...

Whats inflammatory about pointing out that the calculator has been totally discredited? Seriously its utterly meaningless posting about it.

I live my life, knowing I'm going to die anyways so...*

*Within the 5km of course :D

I think most people do and can't wait till restrictions are lifted.

Was just pointing out why using an anecdote of a person using some online calculator to generate fake rage is not helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dutchboy352

Whether people like it or not, whether people want to admit it or not, Tony Holohan comes across as a narcisstic egotist!
    He picks his media appearances to further his image and avoids the hard questions.

Facts!

If this ever ****ing ends, watch his next move...

You talk about him like he's a James bond villain do you he's really some narcissistic scoundrel you make him out to be?

• Advertisement

bb1234567 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/poggs/status/1372847103140069376

Seeing as it looks like we're just going to be stuck with this level of restrictions no matter how things go, better to look on what little bright side there is. Cheered me up a little bit at least that comment :(

I'll remember that person in Cork who survived because I didn't leave my house.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/RealMessageEire/status/1372918411068604420

Look at the comments..if any kind of concern or speaking out against plans for level 5 until almost mid summer are still met with such resistance and animosity from so many in the population, where does that leave us. These people really genuinely believe that high case numbers are 1) the sole result of 'rule breakers' and 2) if these rebels would just shut up and hunker down like the rest of the country and let us get down to near zero cases that this would have any effect whatsoever on NPHET's plans to keep us in level 5 for months on end.

Even if we were registering 10 cases daily NPHET would still maintain Level 5 until June just in case. How will this ever end, I despair for the country, it's like watching a car crash in slow motion. What will be left be in June, if that is even the end of this, I don't want to emigrate, I love this country but I can't see a bright future here as things now stand :(

It's not worth losing all our progress over the past few months to a tantrum at the last hurdle I understand it's tough for some people but it'll be even tougher if we wind up in another covid wave of cases death and hospitalizatios

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It's not worth losing all our progress over the past few months to a tantrum at the last hurdle I understand it's tough for some people but it'll be even tougher if we wind up in another covid wave of cases death and hospitalizatios

Last hurdle, do you really believe this. We have over 500k vaccinated, if we end up with another wave of deaths it means the vaccines don't work. How long should we wait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Not standing again i hear

No, he has no interest in this countries health. A snake in the grass is all he is.

You talk about him like he's a James bond villain do you he's really some narcissistic scoundrel you make him out to be?

I don't make him out to be any sort of Bond Villain, his words, his actions make him out to be what he is. Which is a narcisstic egotist, who cares more about his image than anything else. His hand picked media appearances and his refusal to be questioned by certain journos speaks volumes, never mind his anti alcohol conference during Easter 2020.

Not up to me to prove it, he does that himself. It's very easy to spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

niallo27 wrote: »
    Last hurdle, do you really believe this. We have over 500k vaccinated, if we end up with another wave of deaths it means the vaccines don't work. How long should we wait.

Don't get sucked in, you're not going to be able to change their opinion.

500k is impressive but not extensive enough yet to consider pulling back anything below maybe level 3 once we have people over 40 done maybe we can hit level 2 or around that. Also the new variants could prove troublesome in the next year or so so we have to consider that

We don't these are easy facts to check. This will take a few months but we are getting there. The constant complaining about restrictions do not get vaccines manufactured quicker.

547528.jpg

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/vaccines/

Don't get sucked in, you're not going to be able to change their opinion.

That's a bit unfair I'm entitled to give my opinion without being portrayed negatively

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭JPup

A guy at work in his 20s said he’s due March 2022 for vaccination

Hopefully we will have increased to 6km by then

Just FYI, on the current timetable your mate is due to get his first shot by July 2021. Second shot in the autumn. The only reason he would have to wait until 2022 is if he chooses not to get it done this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement