Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Hellrazer wrote: »
    This is what frustrates the hell out of me.
    He even said it himself that hes basically been ostracized by fellow journalists and the main stream media because of his differing opinion.

Is that the edgelord sports "journalist"?

Why would anyone give a bollíx about his opinion on Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    For myself it means nothing. I don't live in Dublin anymore but one of the commuter towns an hour away. Because of that and before all this, I would normally have been in work all week and down to see my little lad (90 minutes further away) at weekends.

As a result there would be many days when I was really just sleeping here in the evening. My friends live in different counties, my sister is back in Dublin, and I wouldn't know anyone here really.

Extending the limit to 10k/20k/County makes no difference to me as a result.

It means nothing to me either as I’m out in the countryside. Anyway I’ve been completely ignoring it for a long time because it’s so obviously stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

Boggles wrote: »
    Is that the edgelord sports "journalist"?

Why would anyone give a bollíx about his opinion on Covid?

*Yawn*

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hellrazer wrote: »
    They probably has a meeting about a meeting, put it in writing to Nphet who then replied to say allow 7km.Government went back and begged - yes begged nphet for a bit more distance. Had another meeting about the meeting - possibly a white paper on it with a few hundred advisors making sure it was ok and then came up with 20k.

Dear God I really fear for the future when this is all over and this lot are running things again...How the **** are we going to get our country back to normal after all this?

Our normality will be the current Government collapsing when all the other issues that have been forgotten about make the headlines again, and scandals start to emerge about how some of the decisions were made in the last year and the cheques that were written.

An election will allow the general public to vent the anger and frustration that's been building and probably result in SF getting an overall majority with a load of one-issue Independents being elected.

This will take place against the prospect of a recession that will make 2010-14 look like a rehearsal, with a Government that is even worse than the current one (itself worse than the last 2).

Some very worrying and hard times ahead I fear.

Ignoring the channel that has reposted it, that's one of the best put across point of views I've heard that articulates what a huge amount of people are thinking/ feeling, including myself.

Its ridiculous that Irelands insane lockdown policies can't even be challenged without some bull**** about conspiracies being thrown around to discredit any suggestion to consider an alternative stategy. Fair play to the caller.

Ewan McKenna, professional contrarian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

JTMan wrote: »
    Irish times reports today here and the Irish Independent here on the relaxation of restrictions.

- Construction of houses to be allowed from 5 April but not offices.
    - Construction of offices to be allowed from 19 April. (review after 2 weeks).
    - 5 KM to be changed to 10 KM or 20 KM or inside your own county.

No mention of non-essential retail, gyms and personal services yet. Probably May for lifting these restrictions next.
    It'll be a long time before indoor services like gyms, indoor wet pubs, restaurants and personal services are open.
    Most likely well into Autumn i reckon.
    Indoor is the problem, so we need a far higher percentage of the population vaccinated before then.

Other countries will differ, but given our ultra restrictive approach I wouldn't get any expectations up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What did he actually say that you disagree with?

Attack the message, not the messenger.

His "message" is the same old half truths and lies.

A sports "journalist" on twitter knows all the easy solutions and the man wants him silenced. What are the chances?

:rolleyes:

His "message" is the same old half truths and lies.

A sports "journalist" on twitter knows all the easy solutions.

:rolleyes:

You're someone who has their warped viewpoint and won't consider changing it irrespective of what evidence or points are thrown your way. You'll poke holes with the messenger or use some other strawman to dismiss anything you don't like.

I'm going to out you on ignore and id suggest others do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

5k extended to 8k or 10 k , this is just a f*cking nightmare. I’m already travelling that . I think this is human rights issue at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

whiskeyman wrote: »
    It'll be a long time before indoor services like gyms, indoor wet pubs, restaurants and personal services are open.
    Most likely well into Autumn i reckon.
    Indoor is the problem, so we need a far higher percentage of the population vaccinated before then.

Other countries will differ, but given our ultra restrictive approach I wouldn't get any expectations up.

So you think it will be autumn before hairdressers open,no chance. And if restaurants don't open during the summer then the tourist season is a write off,How come last year they could open during the summer but this year with vaccines nothing can open until Autumn. Just doesn't make sense.
    And if it did play out like that can you honestly see everything indoor open up together as we enter into winter?

Monster249 wrote: »
    You're someone who has their warped viewpoint and won't consider changing it irrespective of what evidence or points are thrown your way. You'll poke holes with the messenger or use some other strawman to dismiss anything you don't like.

He an absolute charlatan, the worse part is he plagiarizing his nonsense. If it were some way unique it would be something.

Oh the big bad man won't let me talk.

Has he entertained the idea they won't talk to him because he is a fúcking idiot?
    I'm going to out you on ignore and id suggest others do the same.

Ahh please don't. I'll be like the sports "journalist" then. :(

What did he actually say that you disagree with?

He is doing as he always does, selective rants focusing on small aspects of a broader picture while making sure to get “l, as an award winning journalist” into the conversation. He is an egoist, continually ranting about Ireland, be it government, Dublin Gaa, rugby, nphet, you name it, while living the life flitting between Portugal and Brazil

Again, what do you actually disagree with?

He parrots the same absolute bollíx as his cook book mate.

It's aimed firmly for the market of the weak minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Seymour20

So you think it will be autumn before hairdressers open,no chance. And if restaurants don't open during the summer then the tourist season is a write off,How come last year they could open during the summer but this year with vaccines nothing can open until Autumn. Just doesn't make sense.
    And if it did play out like that can you honestly see everything indoor open up together as we enter into winter?
    First of all the UK variant is far more transmissible which influences the rate of spread especially indoors and secondly there’s a much higher baseline of disease in the community now compared to last summer. This means if we do open up like we did last summer with the current numbers we would have a Christmas 2.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Is it all contrarians you have a issue with or just ‘professional’ ones. What does that mean? Is it that he makes a living from contrary opinions or that all of his opinions are contrary? Either of those would likely lend themselves to his opinions being understandably more easily dismissed. However it’s worrying that contrary views are dismissed out of hand so quickly these days.

Giving contrary views consideration are how society progresses, or would you rather everyone had the same opinion on every issue?

Seymour20 wrote: »
    First of all the UK variant is far more transmissible which influences the rate of spread especially indoors and secondly there’s a much higher baseline of disease in the community now compared to last summer. This means if we do open up like we did last summer with the current numbers we would have a Christmas 2.0.

Have you not factored in that we'll have the vulnerable vaccinated by June so what happened at Xmas is literally impossible?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Seymour20

Have you not factored in that we'll have the vulnerable vaccinated by June so what happened at Xmas is literally impossible?

Will still be enough people not vaccinated at that point to cause issues. Obviously can’t prove this but it is why they’ll remain on the side of caution most likely.

He is doing as he always does, selective rants focusing on small aspects of a broader picture while making sure to get “l, as an award winning journalist” into the conversation. He is an egoist, continually ranting about Ireland, be it government, Dublin Gaa, rugby, nphet, you name it, while living the life flitting between Portugal and Brazil

‘Small aspects of a broader picture’ would apply more correctly to the focus on Covid to the exclusion of all other societal issues. He points to his credentials and he’s an ‘egoist’? Perhaps he has notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah but we are not opening up at the moment like we did last summer,we are in March. I am talking about the summer,if you honestly think that hairdressers and hospitality won't be opened during the summer then I don't know what to say to you, Now it could quite possibly be the end of June with our inept Government

• Advertisement

Will still be enough people not vaccinated at that point to cause issues. Obviously can’t prove this but it is why they’ll remain on the side of caution most likely.

Well no, the people not vaccinated are the people who have a very low chance of being hospitalized, we can't lockdown to prevent people going into hospital, that's madness.

Regardless, I can see you've been well convinced by the NPHET press conferences so we'll leave this discussion here. Have a good day.

He an absolute charlatan, the worse part is he plagiarizing his nonsense. If it were some way unique it would be something.

Oh the big bad man won't let me talk.

Has he entertained the idea they won't talk to him because he is a fúcking idiot?

Ahh please don't. I'll be like the sports "journalist" then. :(

But they are quite happy to entertain the likes of Gerry Killeen on a regular basis?

Here’s Killeen’s latest contribution;

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40247795.html

Apparently, right now we have one last chance before the apocalypse but we must increase restrictions immediately.

the kelt wrote: »
    Attack the person rather than engage in what they’re saying. Hmmm
    the kelt wrote: »
    Tony H, The Irving Fisher of the Irish Medical world will be thrilled to hear that!

Hmmm. Indeed.

JTMan wrote: »
    Irish times reports today here and the Irish Independent here on the relaxation of restrictions.

- Construction of houses to be allowed from 5 April but not offices.
    - Construction of offices to be allowed from 19 April. (review after 2 weeks).
    - 5 KM to be changed to 10 KM or 20 KM or inside your own county.

No mention of non-essential retail, gyms and personal services yet. Probably May for lifting these restrictions next.

"The changes on April 5 will be very limited and it will be mid-May before they are loosened again."

That's all you need to read, the rest is just filler. And NPHET "advising" unrealistic targets like <100 cases daily is rubbing salt, the government happy to remain whipped and not dare break rank with their overlords. Where is that general election when you need it, another two months of this limbo beyond depressing. For goodness sake, step on the gas with those vaccines and stop beating impossible yardsticks into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Our normality will be the current Government collapsing when all the other issues that have been forgotten about make the headlines again, and scandals start to emerge about how some of the decisions were made in the last year and the cheques that were written.

An election will allow the general public to vent the anger and frustration that's been building and probably result in SF getting an overall majority with a load of one-issue Independents being elected.

This will take place against the prospect of a recession that will make 2010-14 look like a rehearsal, with a Government that is even worse than the current one (itself worse than the last 2).

Some very worrying and hard times ahead I fear.

Excellent comment.

If I was NPHETs solicitor, I would advise them to immediately withdraw from the public view.

They have involved themselves in a future crisis of magnitude never seen previously from an economic, physical health, mental health, educational and social point of view.

It’s implied they are here to govern public health but they are only concerned with Covid numbers.

Covid numbers are rapidly going to take a back seat with the vulnerable vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's aimed firmly for the market of the weak minded.
    It's big brain time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Irish Times: If Covid-19 cases remain high travel restrictions could be expanded only to 10km or perhaps 8km

Oooh exciting guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Ad hominem. Appeal to authority.

Any individual person who asks straightforward questions is going to be personally attacked and discounted as un-official.

Farce.

This 'debate' is not a debate since any trenchant point, or else the person making the point, is dismissed as invalid instead of being debated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

But they are quite happy to entertain the likes of Gerry Killeen on a regular basis?

Here’s Killeen’s latest contribution;

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40247795.html

Apparently, right now we have one last chance before the apocalypse but we must increase restrictions immediately.

The irony is he’s the most vocal anti vaccer in the media, and many are on his side of the debate
    Dr Killeen said the prospect of “vaccine failure” because of the emergence of new variants is a concern and not enough is being done to tighten up the public health response, such as tightening travel restrictions and closing all non-essential workplaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

RobitTV wrote: »
    Irish Times: If Covid-19 cases remain high travel restrictions could be expanded only to 10km or perhaps 8km

Oooh exciting guys!

I laughed at this I have to be honest. Do they honestly think? Nah what’s the point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement