Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Even if we did it shouldn't matter a **** because with the at risk categories vaccinated there won't be any increase in hospital numbers.
    What miniscule outliers there are that do need medical attention will easily be able to get it too for the same reason.

Reminder: Ireland is supposedly in lockdown to allow the health services to cope.

Well it does to be fair.

We currently do not have all at risk categories vaccinated. And of those that are - many are yet to receive the second shot of vaccine.

The UK variant is the dominant strain here and due to its higher transmissibility atm case numbers here are still high.

Currently approx 50% of all hospital admissions are those under 65. That's not going to change.
    Let the virus rip as some here seem to want - and yes more people will end up in hospital.

So until we can get all groups fully vaccinated then we're on road to nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

RobitTV wrote: »
    Irish Times: If Covid-19 cases remain high travel restrictions could be expanded only to 10km or perhaps 8km

Oooh exciting guys!

8km is ok for that guy who wants to go to the beach. He’ll be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

https://worldwidedemonstration.com/livestreams/

Good to see. Some nice livestreams - Germany seems to have the biggest crowds

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

8km is ok for that guy who wants to go to the beach. He’ll be delighted.

The 8km or 10km only applies to exercise, not unessential journeys like just going to the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

The 8km or 10km only applies to exercise, not unessential journeys like just going to the beach.

Are some people actually still following the 5km limit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

Locotastic wrote: »

No, not all, hence the number of fines. But some people dont seem to realise you can only go that far for exercise, not for any other casual or unnecessary reason to travel freely within that limit for whatever reason. If there was a bit more public information you wouldnt have people getting caught out and fined. Not that ignorance o the law is any excuse of course, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

I'd say most people are. I live in a locality that would have been descended up on a warm St Patricks Day in normal times. It didn't happen this year so yes most people are sticking to the 5km from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I’m not but at the same time I can’t go that far either , once I start out further than like 10k , I’m not sure where the checkpoints are so it gets dodgy then. Like if there’s a checkpoint right at entrance to the beach , what can u do ? Say u live in the area, would that work ?

My nearest beach is 44 k away , I think I can get to it but my one fear is a checkpoint close to the beach

Benimar wrote: »
    I'd say most people are. I live in a locality that would have been descended up on a warm St Patricks Day in normal times. It didn't happen this year so yes most people are sticking to the 5km from my experience.

I don't know anyone who's paying any notice to it any more. I did a 100km round trip yesterday (essential) and didn't see a single checkpoint.

I travel in and out of Dublin 3 or 4 times a week (again essential work) and have not been stopped once or come across any checkpoints since last May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I don't know anyone who's paying any notice to it any more. I did a 100km round trip yesterday (essential) and didn't see a single checkpoint.

I travel in and out of Dublin 3 or 4 times a week (again essential work) and have not been stopped once or come across any checkpoints since last May.

Done 120km myself yesterday and hit just the one checkpoint in the way home literally 500m from my house lol. A previous poster mentioned traffic yesterday and I noticed it also, it was like a normal Friday rush hour at times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Just listened to that clip.. Educated, calm, well spoken, able to support his points with evidence and quotes from recognised outlets - completely agree with everything he said as did apparently a lot of the listeners and the presenter herself.

The ONLY negative was that they apparently had him on over lunchtime of Paddy's Day, when most people probably weren't listening. If he'd been on the flagship Breakfast show the day before/after it would have had a far greater impact.

Any idea who the guy is ?

You are very correct in that he was able to make his points AND expand upon them,in addition to bringing official communications into the debate in a way which the Irish Mainstream Media have managed to avoid for the last 12 months.

I have long believed that we are not dealing currently with a Medical Emergency situation.

My belief is that from around May 2020,the focus of official Irish policy shifted to experimentation on how far exactly,quasi autonomous agencies such as NPHET could go in having their policies implimented without having to endure too much Public Scrutiny.

Currently,we're in Vaccine mode,with virtually total unquestioning acceptance that everybody requires a vaccine if they are to survive,a view which nobody is allowed to express a contrary opinion to.

It will be interesting to see what happens to that audio clip and it's narrator ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No, not all, hence the number of fines. But some people dont seem to realise you can only go that far for exercise, not for any other casual or unnecessary reason to travel freely within that limit for whatever reason. If there was a bit more public information you wouldnt have people getting caught out and fined. Not that ignorance o the law is any excuse of course, but still.

The bizarre things is those who don't seem to understand that- think that 5 km is the worst in the world.

The UK and other European countries like Germany have strict stay at home orders with travel strictly curtailed. No idea why some think that 5km is a serious issue when the aim is dimply to reduce transmission and keep infection rates down.

What it does do is help reduce the likley hood of very large crowds descending on the same beauty spot and stopping at the same service stations for a pee and a tea & etc.

And yes even with current restrictions local parks can get busy but that's not equivalent to large contingents heading off to the same beach or wherever from numerous different counties.

Its really not rocket science tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

If you are going to the beach for a walk then that's excercise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Neagra

john4321 wrote: »
    It's shocking alright the should have got SIMI to rollout the vaccine so you could complain that mechanics were prioritized over auctioneers. If IPAV had got the gig that might not have happened.

Shame on the HSE prioritizing healthcare workers getting vaccinated based on independent advise from NIAC.

More negative rants on this thread based just for the sake of it.

Who would you have proposed to work on the rollout?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/hse-finance-staff-given-covid-vaccine-to-avoid-wastage-1098161.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/dublin-hospital-gave-leftover-vaccines-to-16-relatives-of-staff-1.4460718

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0118/1190394-coombe-virus/

check and mate

gozunda wrote: »
    The bizarre things is those who don't seem to understand that- think that 5 km is the worst in the world.

The UK and other European countries like Germany have strict stay at home orders with travel strictly curtailed. No idea why some think that 5km is a serious issue when the aim is dimply to reduce transmission and keep infection rates down.

What it does do is help reduce the likley hood of very large crowds descending on the same beauty spot and stopping at the same service stations for a pee and a tea & etc.

And yes even with current restrictions local parks can get busy but that's not equivalent to large contingents heading off to the same beach or wherever from numerous different counties.

Its really not rocket science tbh.

For those following the 5km rule it makes little sense that in built up areas you have people crowded into limited amenities.

For example I can't visit a normally isolated local amenity that's about 1.5km from my home as it is completely overrun with people. It wouldn't be like that usually and is only apparent during lockdown.

People are still visiting beauty spots, there is very little to stop people and some are willing to take the fine and go on their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

A lotof people are..particularly old and middle aged. I was talking to my boyfriend's parents the other day and was talking about some park I'd gone to a few weekends prior, and they expressed surprise that I had gone outside my 5km during the lockdown. lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Neagra

What an absolute insult to the doctors, nurses, management and admin in the HSE who've worked their backsides off this past year. Shame on you. Everyone's turn for a vaccine is coming soon throwing toys out of the pram won't make it happen quicker

management and admin staff who worked their backsides off.
    dont make me laugh.
    if there was work in the bed they would sleep on the floor.

why are aldi, lidl, tesco etc workers not vaccinated before admin staff in a hospital.
    Shame on you for believing minimum paid staff should wait in line while public sector staff who have done nothing for the last year but work from home and mooch around are above us all.

Shame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Right so you didn't listen to it but then you did in fact listen to it. :confused:

Your viewpoint on Ewan McKenna making your ears bleed isn't really relevant to all the points he made, which is why I didn't reply to it.

IMO his points of view on this topic are totally valid, and are backed up by the data which was also outlined by him in the segment had you been able to hear it through the blood, or whatever.

He makes complete sense and his arguments were coherent and had valid points. He managed to portray what a lot of people are thinking. His letters from lockdown are quiet good also on this subject. For some To dish him because they don't like some of his other opinions is just lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Most aren't.

Some however would jump on one leg if NPHET told them it was a good idea. There are a lot of weak-minded fools out there unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pwiss

Oh no the Swiss are going to extend their lockdown beyond the 22nd of March:

swissinfo. ch/eng/government-postpones-further-relaxation-of-covid-19-restrictions-/46462128

Wait even during their lockdown they allow household gathering of up to 10 people. When are people in Ireland going to wake up? Our restrictions are inhumane at this stage.

• Advertisement

Just heard this from Ivan Yeats also. Another speaking sense. He will probably be labelled a right wing nutter now.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/ivan-yates-on-lockdown-idea-we-are-all-in-this-together-absolute-nonsense-1165189

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It's not worth losing all our progress over the past few months to a tantrum at the last hurdle I understand it's tough for some people but it'll be even tougher if we wind up in another covid wave of cases death and hospitalizatios

Whilst agreeing with the generality of the statement,I would suggest that the term "Progress" merits further consideration.

Progress,to me,would have seen Irish Authorities rectify the long running lack of ICU facilities in the State Healthcare System,but yet,even after 12 months of the Population,complying,staying-safe and the rest,our ICU availability remains far below the EU norm.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30990355.html
    Ireland has half the number of ICU beds and staffing compared to other EU countries, according to a leading expert.

Mr Boyd-Barrett outlined a VERY relevant statistic on ICU provision...

https://www.thejournal.ie/icu-bed-numbers-5217685-Sep2020/
    At the Oireachtas Covid-19 committee yesterday, (Sept 2020) People Before Profit TD Richard Boyd Barrett raised the issue with HSE CEO Paul Reid.

In 2009, the HSE said we needed 579 ICU beds. Could you please confirm the figures on this? We have about 280 at the moment. And that is down from the 354, we had in April,” he said.

Back in Sept,the best figures the HSE could produce were...
    Pre-Covid capacity: 225
    Temporary surge capacity: 350
    Current permanent capacity: 280
    Capacity after Winter Plan funding: 297

So,even six months in,the game-changing response,was quite muted in it's scale..and certainly NOWHERE near the 579 recommended in 2009.

Oddly enough,it's a topic one rarely hears aired across the Irish Media,with very few journalists firing any hard questions at the well renumerated COE of the Health Service Executive or any of the other "Men is Suits" who have grown so accustomed to media adulation in the last year.

I do not see our current situation as indicating "progress" in any meaningful way,except for the Statisticians and Modelers amongst us,who'se fields have had a quantum leap in terms of value and acceptance,but who have actually cured Nobody.

:(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

He makes complete sense and his arguments were coherent and had valid points. He managed to portray what a lot of people are thinking. His letters from lockdown are quiet good also on this subject. For some To dish him because they don't like some of his other opinions is just lazy.

He bigs up the portuguese experience, neglecting to mention that they've had a truly punishing time in the last few months. Over 12,000 dead from covid since December. They're now among the very worst affected countries on the planet.
    They had to seek international help for patients that needed ICU, flying doctors and equipment in from Germany, and sending patients to Austria.

To get things under control they had a far tougher lockdown than we've ever seen that lasted months.

He neglects all of this, and then goes on to misrepresent what the WHO said about lockdowns.

At this point I turned off the interview as he's not only just pointlessly angry, he's very dishonest.

If he had some reasonable point later on in the interview, by all means bring it to the table, but from what I can see he's just a shouty pillock.

It was John McGuirk's nonsense last week. This week it's an angry sports journalist. Slim pickings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Just heard this from Ivan Yeats also. Another speaking sense. He will probably be labelled a right wing nutter now.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/ivan-yates-on-lockdown-idea-we-are-all-in-this-together-absolute-nonsense-1165189

I found his radio show was rather therapeutic

He’s was a real pragmatic voice of reason on it before he disappeared
    “I mean, I don’t know how docile the Irish people have become but the reality is that, when this is over there is going to be a massive economic reckoning insofar as people have lost their jobs permanently and they don’t know it yet.”

Very well put.

People have been temporarily silenced by the finite PUP payment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Most aren't.

Some however would jump on one leg if NPHET told them it was a good idea. There are a lot of weak-minded fools out there unfortunately.

The weak-minded fools at Christmas got us in this year's mess...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

COVID must be the most advanced disease we have ever known

It knows the difference between social and commercial construction

Maybe if the builders working in the commercial sites ate a €9 meal they would be immune from Covid

He bigs up the portuguese experience, neglecting to mention that they've had a truly punishing time in the last few months. Over 12,000 dead from covid since December. They're now among the very worst affected countries on the planet.
    They had to seek international help for patients that needed ICU, flying doctors and equipment in from Germany, and sending patients to Austria.

To get things under control they had a far tougher lockdown than we've ever seen that lasted months.

He neglects all of this, and then goes on to misrepresent what the WHO said about lockdowns.

At this point I turned off the interview as he's not only just pointlessly angry, he's very dishonest.

If he had some reasonable point later on in the interview, by all means bring it to the table, but from what I can see he's just a shouty pillock.

It was John McGuirk's nonsense last week. This week it's an angry sports journalist. Slim pickings.

And what about Yeats? Speaks a load of nonsense also?

And what about Yeats? Speaks a load of nonsense also?

Yes. He speaks nonsense for a living. He's literally famous for it.

Yes. He speaks nonsense for a living. He's literally famous for it.

So anyone with an opinion not suited to your own speaks nonsense.

• Advertisement

So anyone with an opinion not suited to your own speaks nonsense.

No.

It's just that John McGuirk, that sports journalist and Ivan Yates are all renound for talking ****e, and it's no different in this instance.

Have you got anyone credible for me?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement