Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Over a 1/4 of counties today with less than 5 cases, Dublin the big outlier compared to almost every other county. Two counties with zero cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Corholio wrote: »
    Over a 1/4 of counties today with less than 5 cases, Dublin the big outlier compared to almost every other county. Two counties with zero cases.

And they'll all be in level 5 till May/June...

How many counties don't have a single covid patient in hospital at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It appears that the case numbers is irrelevant, there is always a risk cases numbers will rise so they must remain in lockdown

Lockdown to avoid lockdown if you will

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Diamondhands

It appears that the case numbers is irrelevant, there is always a risk cases numbers will rise so they must remain in lockdown

or is it lockdown to avoid a further lockdown with the sole aim of preventing another lockdown? I've lost count.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I'm wondering what you might mean by this in bold? If someone is strictly sticking to restrictions as per guidelines - what does the weather have to do with it? I guess maybe you can sit outside in your bubble group if you're lucky enough to have a bubble group plus outdoor seating area? Or sit outside in the company of your own household, again if you have outside seating area. Or go for an extra-long jog/cycle within your 5km as it's not raining.

Otherwise restrictions are to stay at home unless essential....you can meet one person outside your bubble for exercise within 5km, I guess you can bend that easily if you're so inclined. You could meet several people in your social circle by that interpretation - we went for a walk and then we got a coffee, and next week I'm going for a walk with someone else not in my bubble and we will also get a coffee for a chat post-exercise... but if you are actually sticking to restrictions these examples are flouting regulations.

It's all to an interpretation to a degree of what's acceptable to you and your immediate peers/family based on your perception of risk.

I would add that I believe a level of adherence to official guidelines has been built into easing of restrictions. They don't need everyone to be completely conscientious and rigourous in adhering to restrictions. Just enough short of critical mass.

It simply means more people will be out exercising when the weather is good than on days when the weather is not so good.

It does not imply that more people are ignoring restrictions as has been suggested elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Why do you think case numbers irrelevant?

These are the case numbers over the last 14 days

52hq4u.jpg

Numbers remain higher than they were at the middle of December so yes there is a very real possibility that case numbers could rise again.

Its really not that hard to understand tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

gozunda wrote: »
    Why do you think case numbers irrelevant?

These are the case numbers over the last 14 days

52hq4u.jpg

Numbers remain higher than they were at the end of December so yes there is a very real possibility that case numbers could rise again.

Its really not that hard to understand tbf.

In that speech Leo gave in March 2020 he asked people to comply for 6 weeks to prevent thousands dying.

All over the EU counties had the same plan and of course the EU countries ended lockdown after 6 weeks.

A year later, health care workers are vaccinated, 450,000 vulnerable are vaccinated and I’m still reading this from posters who are continuing to defend the indefensible.

I’m not sure how Leo’s speech would have went if it said, we will have a vaccine next year, will have vaccinated the vulnerable and healthcare workers, have 0 cases in some counties but remain in lockdown to prevent cases rising

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

It simply means more people will be out exercising when the weather is good than on days when the weather is not so good.

It does not imply that more people are ignoring restrictions as has been suggested elsewhere.

That's a bit simplistic - if people are sticking strictly to restrictions then they are taking necessary exercise as and when they need, irrespective of outdoors vs indoors. If advice is to stay at home, then why would you leave your home for a longer period of time if weather is better, if not essential? Apparently it's no bother to stay fit at home - no gym necessary, no beach-walks necessary (I don't agree btw but that's neither here nor there, just pointing out the hypocrisy of adhering completely to guidelines vs bending a little).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭themacattack.

whats the craic with construction?looks like they are going to let "home building"to return april the 5th if im reading it right(14000 additional workers) while commercial projects (20,000) will not open...seriously why do the irish government have to add a caveat on everything...is it just for appearances because i dont think there wil be any construction workers still sitting at home april the 5th or i hope there isnt....assuming that is the announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

In what alternate reality is the vaccination schedule not going ahead?

And do you really believe that someone can snap their fingers and everyone will be vaccinated

The whole world and his brother are attempting to get people vaccinated. Has their been supply problems - yes there has. That is hardly surprising tbh.

In ordinary times vaccines take years to develop - we are fortunate that not one but several vaccines are now available.

And you're ok to throw that out the window and if people die so be it?

Btw what is your definition of a "small amount" dieing? Would something like January's figures of 1,000 deaths and more than 100,000 cases per month be ok for you?

This reality. It's going but it's going very very slow and everyone goes just wait supply will increase and it doesn't. There's nothing proactive being done. It's just follow the EU scheme and wait as it'll get better at some point. After 3-4 months of saying gamechangers are coming and supply will increase and it doesn't happen, maybe people should stop saying it and maybe our government should be proactive and gets order in incase supply doesn't increase and for when other vaccines get approved.

Obviously January numbers would not be ok. Current numbers yes, they're acceptable to me.

When you look at the fact that all of us have lost 1 year of our lives in this sh1t, the trade off from trying to have zero deaths isn't worth it anymore imo.

• Advertisement

“Look what those thickos are saying while I take the discussion completely out of context to make myself seem edgy”

Gang of gobsh*tes

I'd genuinely love to see the limits of people's compliance, the majority of this country are NPCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Ivan Yates said it perfect, there's three different groups of people, those who are better off, those who are indifferent, and those who have had their livelihoods decimated. I think the majority of us share one thing in common though, we're ready to get back to living our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Unfortunately for us the government cant do regional or local lockdowns/curfews it's too difficult for the simpletons who govern us.

They have to use the bluntest instrument at all times and future generations to pick up the tab.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Neagra

Psychological egoism is the view that humans are always motivated by self-interest and selfishness, even in what seem to be acts of altruism. It claims that, when people choose to help others, they do so ultimately because of the personal benefits that they themselves expect to obtain, directly or indirectly, from so doing.

sums everything up.
    we have people who are quite enjoying this lockdown - its in their interests it continues.
    anyone arguing for the continuation of the lockdown are a mix of interest groups and everyone of them would not care if all personal freedoms were taken from us once they got what they wanted from the lockdown.
    they are extremely dangerous people who smell blood - and if we the common person do not so something soon we will spend years emerging from this lockdown.
    i suggest everyone who feels like i do, from tomorrow act in public like you post on here.
    its time we took this country back

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately for us the government cant do regional or local lockdowns/curfews it's too difficult for the simpletons who govern us.

They have to use the bluntest instrument at all times and future generations to pick up the tab.

We are only a region in terms of the management of this sort of thing. You cannot compare our counties for local lockdowns with the likes of France or Germany. Paris is 12 million people. Bavaria is about the same area as Ireland and has triple the population of us. Those countries dont lock down small towns or regions with only 100k people in them either.

I'd genuinely love to see the limits of people's compliance, the majority of this country are NPCs.

“Let’s continue to label and denigrate the other with quasi alt right memes to make ourselves feel edgy and superior from behind our keyboards”

Neagra wrote: »
    Psychological egoism is the view that humans are always motivated by self-interest and selfishness, even in what seem to be acts of altruism. It claims that, when people choose to help others, they do so ultimately because of the personal benefits that they themselves expect to obtain, directly or indirectly, from so doing.

sums everything up.
    we have people who are quite enjoying this lockdown - its in their interests it continues.
    anyone arguing for the continuation of the lockdown are a mix of interest groups and everyone of them would not care if all personal freedoms were taken from us once they got what they wanted from the lockdown.
    they are extremely dangerous people who smell blood - and if we the common person do not so something soon we will spend years emerging from this lockdown.
    i suggest everyone who feels like i do, from tomorrow act in public like you post on here.

No one is enjoying lockdown. Why the need to invent an enemy that doesn’t exist? The language being used here in denigrating the “other” is getting quite sinister.

“Let’s continue to label and denigrate the other with quasi alt right memes to make ourselves feel edgy and superior from behind our keyboards”

Alt-right?

Ireland is known for its herd-mentality, resistance to change and finger-pointing at anyone stepping outside the realm of perceived normalcy.

In general, people will happily accept anything without an ounce of rational thought as to why something is the way it is, once it's being proclaimed by a figure of authority. You can disagree but don't dismiss my point by trying to shuffle me into an extreme end of the political spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0320/1205142-coronavirus-ireland/

Here we go again.

Only phased return of construction. Why? It really is a ****show when your the only country with construction not fully open.

5km out to 20km because they haven't the balls to go county wide. County limit is far easier to patrol and control than a 5km, 10km or 29km.

Kids training a priority, I agree with this but the suggestion that golf and tennis not a priority is a real kick in the arse for a lot of adults who wish to resume their non contact outdoor sport. Will kids be allowed play golf and tennis or do politicians think kids dont play these sports.

So the talk from politicians about understanding the need for opening outdoor sports was just them plamasing people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Neagra

No one is enjoying lockdown. Why the need to invent an enemy that doesn’t exist? The language being used here in denigrating the “other” is getting quite sinister.

“Let’s continue to label and denigrate the other with quasi alt right memes to make ourselves feel edgy and superior from behind our keyboards"

we know who the enemy is alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What are you suggesting there lad?

Ireland is known for its herd-mentality, resistance to change and finger-pointing at anyone stepping outside the realm of perceived normalcy.

Known by whom ?

Alt-right?

In general, people will happily accept anything without an ounce of rational thought as to why something is the way it is, once it's being proclaimed by a figure of authority. You can disagree but don't dismiss my point by trying to shuffle me into an extreme end of the political spectrum.

The npc meme is straight from the alt right playbook, to dehumanise and consequently delegitimise the “other”. It’s that tactic I am calling out. Not accusing you of being alt right.

It is amazing how these memes cross over into main stream discourse however

“Let’s continue to label and denigrate the other with quasi alt right memes to make ourselves feel edgy and superior from behind our keyboards"

we know who the enemy is alright.

That you cannot see the difference is informative

The npc meme is straight from the alt right playbook, to dehumanise and consequently delegitimise the “other”. It’s that tactic I am calling out. Not accusing you of being alt right.

It is amazing how these memes cross over into main stream discourse however

I use the term to depict someone who seemingly has no thoughts of their own, but rather outsource their thought processes to authorities to do it for them.

Just FYI, I'm not anti lockdown, I just feel the Government can literally implement whatever they want despite it having no scientific or rational backing and people will happily accept. It's puzzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Oh it's paradise for introverts and curtain twitchers, believe it or not there are some people truly happy with being in lockdown, mind-boggling!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yes there were workplace closures everywhere, for a period of time, just for not as long as we have experienced here. His point was that businesses here have been closed more days than just about everywhere else, and in come cases by many days. Sorry I don't have the link handy but I'm sure someone will oblige otherwise will try dig it up later.

I can only find the graph that he's referencing but I can't find the data.

Eu8gSMlXUAEF7pC?format=jpg&name=large

It does say some countries never closed workplaces but that doesn't add up.

Locotastic wrote: »
    believe it or not there are some people truly happy with being in lockdown, mind-boggling!

What is your source on this ? Have you good stats on it, or does it come from the Behaviour and Attitudes surveys ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

god knows what will be said by MM for his speech the last week of March

'the end is truly truly in sight' it is in me hole
    'Variants, blah blah blah variants'
    'vaccine supply blah blah blah'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

What is your source on this ? Have you good stats on it, or does it come from the Behaviour and Attitudes surveys ?

You don't have to look too far, even here on boards, to see examples of these behaviours and attitudes :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement