Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

The myth of the "fighting irish" is well and truly exploded anyway. Don't tell the Americans.

I think being neutral as a nation for a century might have helped too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Boggles wrote: »
    I think it just proves there is fúcking idiots everywhere TBH.

Well I'd rather be an "idiot" than one of the folks so far up NPHETs and the governments ass that all we can see are their toenails.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I support applying political pressure (in the form of protest or by other means) to make lockdowns less politically palatable and thus as short as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Here's one for yiz - do you support the actions of your UK brothers in the anti-restrictions movement, despite them being up to their balls in vaccines over there?

Are they acting logically?

I support anyones right to peacefully protest even during a pandemic that right should never be taken away from people.

I think being neutral as a nation for a century might have helped too.

Fair point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Been out of this thread for the past few days but will we finally see more articles like this?

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/jennifer-o-connell-who-wants-a-taoiseach-who-acts-as-a-passive-observer-1.4514806?mode=amp

Audio available if you are out of free articles

From the Irish Times no less, a really good piece and a change from the usual finger wagging

Feria40 wrote: »
    Been out of this thread for the past few days but will we finally see more articles like this?

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/jennifer-o-connell-who-wants-a-taoiseach-who-acts-as-a-passive-observer-1.4514806?mode=amp

Audio available if you are out of free articles

The worm has certainly started to turn in terms of the media. I expect to see opposition parties start to change their tunes soon enough.

I support your right to protest too, lads. I just don't support the reason behind it.
    I hope you'd all defend my right to laugh at your protest in return?

The UK's current protests are silly though right. I mean they've got a clear plan to reopen that most of you were commending recently.

Surely we can therefore all agree that the uk anti restriction protests are silly?
    Come on lads, lets find some common ground for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I don't watch the news much and haven't being paying too much attention over the last few weeks...but how did we get on with those deadly variants they were on about a few weeks ago...health system under pressure even?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

In that speech Leo gave in March 2020 he asked people to comply for 6 weeks to prevent thousands dying.

All over the EU counties had the same plan and of course the EU countries ended lockdown after 6 weeks.

A year later, health care workers are vaccinated, 450,000 vulnerable are vaccinated and I’m still reading this from posters who are continuing to defend the indefensible.

I’m not sure how Leo’s speech would have went if it said, we will have a vaccine next year, will have vaccinated the vulnerable and healthcare workers, have 0 cases in some counties but remain in lockdown to prevent cases rising

You didn't answer my question btw.

But you've moved on to Leo now?

Atm all over Europe - countries are facing another wave and some countries are now looking to re-impose restrictions.

No one has ever claimed we only had to vaccinate specific categories. And even where those who have been vaccinated - many have yet to receive their second shot. And no lesson has been learned?

Case numbers are still higher than they were in mid December and you are still wonder why we are in a lockdown?

• Advertisement

I don't watch the news much and haven't being paying too much attention over the last few weeks...but how did we get on with those deadly variants they were on about a few weeks ago...health system under pressure even?

We?

People?

Terribly. There is a variant currently ****ing over brazil like we've never seen before.

And much of the planet is under stricter restrictions than they would have been because some variants are proving far more resilient than classic covid.

All in all it's going really ****ing badly with them.

I support your right to protest too, lads. I just don't support the reason behind it.

The UK's current protests are silly though right. I mean they've got a clear plan to reopen that most of you were commending recently.

Surely we can therefore all agree that the uk anti restriction protests are silly?

Almost. The protests in the UK are still valid in so far as it maintains political pressure to actually stick to the plan.

That's a bit simplistic - if people are sticking strictly to restrictions then they are taking necessary exercise as and when they need, irrespective of outdoors vs indoors. If advice is to stay at home, then why would you leave your home for a longer period of time if weather is better, if not essential? Apparently it's no bother to stay fit at home - no gym necessary, no beach-walks necessary (I don't agree btw but that's neither here nor there, just pointing out the hypocrisy of adhering completely to guidelines vs bending a little).

Who said people were "leaving their home for longer"????

And yes it is simple. A walk is easier on a nice day not so much in the pissing rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

We?

People?

Terribly. There is a variant currently ****ing over brazil like we've never seen before.

And much of the planet is under stricter restrictions than they would have been because some variants are proving far more resilient than classic covid.

All in all it's going really ****ing badly with them.

It was the UK variant they were hysterical about last time I checked...it was already here...way more transmissible than previous variants they said...come to think of it, they did mention a Brazilian variant too....my money is on a new deadly vicious variant coming out of Tipperary, nothing good ever came out of the place (joking)....seriously though...should we have a dedicated thread to keep us all updated about new deadly variants...just in case our fear levels drop?

Almost. The protests in the UK are still valid in so far as it maintains political pressure to actually stick to the plan.

Yeah. The general misery, millions unemployed, the crippled hospitals, 125,000 deaths and Johnson's own near death experience probably isn't enough to keep them motivated.

As you say, what they really need is a violent protest against the plan to make sure they stick to the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Yeah. The general misery, millions unemployed, the crippled hospitals, 125,000 deaths and Johnson's own near death experience probably isn't enough to keep them motivated.

As you say, what they really need is a violent protest against the plan to make sure they stick to the plan.

So are you saying we should be protesting here because we are so pathetic we don't even have a plan.

Can you understand why there might not be a lot of trust that the gov will follow through?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Sky: German police say there were 20,000 people protesting against the lockdown measures in Kassel this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

That reminds me, I must watch The Life of Brian again soon. Cheers

niallo27 wrote: »
    So are you saying we should be protesting here because we are so pathetic we don't even have a plan.

Yes. If we ever don't have a plan then I'll join you lot

• Advertisement

Yes. If we ever don't have a plan then I'll join you lot

Do you think we have a plan now.

Can you understand why there might not be a lot of trust that the gov will follow through?

Yes of course, they're massive liars.

I didn't see a lot of "stick to the plan" signs though honestly.

And now that you mention it, a 'do what you said you were going to do and are currently doing' protest is pretty nuts and didn't happen.

Do you think we have a plan now.

Absolutely, I've been tuning into it pretty regularly.

Do you not know what the plan is, Niall?

titan18 wrote: »
    This reality. It's going but it's going very very slow and everyone goes just wait supply will increase and it doesn't. There's nothing proactive being done. It's just follow the EU scheme and wait as it'll get better at some point. After 3-4 months of saying gamechangers are coming and supply will increase and it doesn't happen, maybe people should stop saying it and maybe our government should be proactive and gets order in incase supply doesn't increase and for when other vaccines get approved.

Obviously January numbers would not be ok. Current numbers yes, they're acceptable to me.

When you look at the fact that all of us have lost 1 year of our lives in this sh1t, the trade off from trying to have zero deaths isn't worth it anymore imo.

Yes covid is sh1t - no matter which way you look at it.

Who said anything about "zero covid"? Even atm that's not part of the current strategy. What is being advocated is to keep infection rates down to ensure our health services can cope.

But again:

In what alternate reality is the vaccination schedule not going ahead?

The whole world and his brother are attempting to get people vaccinated. Has there been supply problems - yes there has. That is hardly surprising tbh.

As for January's numbers - do you have sn answer as to how we ensure those numbers dont return to January's figures or do we just keep our fingers crossed when we remove restrictions?

Case numbers are still high and deaths are still occurring. And you say ok with that continuing. However the likleyhood is that those numbers will rise as restrictions are rolled back.

So who out of those you know would you nominate for that increased chance of taking a hit or would it just be strangers being unlucky which would be acceptable?

Absolutely, I've been tuning into it pretty regularly.

Do you not know what the plan is, Niall?

No, what restrictions are being relaxed on April 5th, when is non essential retail open, when can we expect hospitality to open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Neagra

Boggles wrote: »
    I think it just proves there is fúcking idiots everywhere TBH.

not everywhere, vast majority of people are hard working and honest
    they are family people who live a spiritual life.
    they believe in community.

then there is the small minority who are social misfits.
    they hate Ireland and they hate themselves and their families.
    they will not rest until they have destroyed everything great about this country.

gozunda wrote: »
    Yes covid is sh1t - no matter which way you look at it.

Who said anything about "zero covid"? Even atm that's not part of the current strategy. What is being advocated is to keep infection rates down to ensure our health services can cope.

But again:

In what alternate reality is the vaccination schedule not going ahead?

The whole world and his brother are attempting to get people vaccinated. Has there been supply problems - yes there has. That is hardly surprising tbh.

As for January's numbers - do you have sn answer as to how we ensure those numbers dont return to January's figures or do we just keep our fingers crossed when we remove restrictions?

Case numbers are still high and deaths are still occurring. And you say ok with that continuing. However the likleyhood is that those numbers will rise as restrictions are rolled back.

So who out of those would you nominate for that increased chance of taking a hit or would it just strangers being unlucky which would be acceptable?

People will still die when everyone is vaccinated, are you ok with this. Why are you on about January, we have nearly 500k with the first dose, if January happens again then vaccines are useless.

Yes of course, they're massive liars.

I didn't see a lot of "stick to the plan" signs though honestly.

And now that you mention it, a 'do what you said you were going to do and are currently doing' protest is pretty nuts and didn't happen.

I dunno man, i can't speak for the uk (or any other) protesters, all i can say is i support people applying pressure.

No, what restrictions are being relaxed on April 5th, when is non essential retail open, when can we expect hospitality to open.

Ah! You want secondary details of the plan.

Nobody knows yet, Niall. It depends how we fare with the primary goals of the plan.

• Advertisement

I dunno man, i can't speak for the uk (or any other) protesters, all i can say is i support people applying pressure.

Even if you don't agree with what they're pressing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement