Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Ah! You want secondary details of the plan.

Nobody knows yet, Niall. It depends how we fare with the primary goals of the plan.

How come nearly every other country in Europe can give dates but we can't, out of interest what are the primary goals. I presume it's a certain level of cases before we can open. Can you give me them details.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Even if you don't agree with what they're pressing?

Any port in a storm i guess. What are they pressing for? Anti vax nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

niallo27 wrote: »
    People will still die when everyone is vaccinated, are you ok with this. Why are you on about January, we have nearly 500k with the first dose, if January happens again then vaccines are useless.

Did I say they would not? What the issue is that vaccinations go ahead but also that case numbers are kept down so our health services can continue to cope.

Read the comments to get an idea where January's figures come into the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

How come nearly every other country in Europe can give dates but we can't, out of interest what are the primary goals. I presume it's a certain level of cases before we can open. Can you give me them details.

Examples?

Examples?

UK, Germany, France, Portugal etc etc etc.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Did I say they would not? What the issue is that vaccinations go ahead but also that case numbers are kept down so our health services can continue to cope.

Read the comments to get an idea where January's figures come into the discussion.

So I presume your in favour of construction opening and outdoor sports and non essential opening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Diamondhands

Niall the Governments plan is clear as day and they've done a really good job communicating with the public.

Name 4 countries etc etc etc, very detailed reply thanks. What kind of dates do you want us to announce exactly?

Name 4 countries etc etc etc, very detailed reply thanks. What kind of dates do you want us to announce exactly?

Anything, they did it last April when we knew nothing about the virus, are you honestly happy with the communication. Are you honestly ok that in 2 weeks time we haven't a clue what will open or what we need to reach to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Well I'm not sure what countries you're referring to, but I think we can agree that most european nations have consistently made a total balls of their plans over the last year?

The primary plan is to keep the infection rate as low as possible while we try to vaccinate a critical mass of people.

If we pull a bulgaria now then we risk ****ing up the whole summer.

• Advertisement

Anything, they did it last April when we knew nothing about the virus, are you honestly happy with the communication. Are you honestly ok that in 2 weeks time we haven't a clue what will open or what we need to reach to open.

What is the point in announcing dates that we may not be able to deliver on? You mentioned most countries in Europe have done so, but they havent, they are largely aspirational, anyway give me a few examples, Bulgaria, Greece, Poland, Italy maybe for a start?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

a really good job communicating with the public.

Ehhh...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Diamondhands

Ehhh...

/s

Well I'm not sure what countries you're referring to, but I think we can agree that most european nations have consistently made a total balls of their plans over the last year?

The primary plan is to keep the infection rate as low as possible while we try to vaccinate a critical mass of people.

If we pull a bulgaria now then we risk ****ing up the whole summer.

Our infection rate is one of the lowest in Europe, so the primary plan has worked, does this mean we can open up. Listen Tony can you just admit we don't have a plan.

What is the point in announcing dates that we may not be able to deliver on? You mentioned most countries in Europe have done so, but they havent, they are largely aspirational, anyway give me a few examples, Bulgaria, Greece, Poland, Italy maybe for a start?

To give people something to aim for, if cases or hospital numbers are good we can open on these dates. There is nothing to aim for at the moment so I personally have given up, case numbers make no difference we are not opening up.

This is Greece
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-greece-idUSKBN2B01B3

Poland
    https://study.gov.pl/news/next-stages-lifting-covid-19-related-restrictions

Bulgaria
    https://www.euractiv.com/section/elections/news/bulgaria-to-open-restaurants-from-march-nightclubs-from-april/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Our infection rate is one of the lowest in Europe, so the primary plan has worked, does this mean we can open up. Listen Tony can you just admit we don't have a plan.

Europe is ****ed at the moment.
    Being one of the best of a bunch of losers doesn't mean we're in good shape.

I just told you what the main plan is. We also have a prioritised list for reopening sectors of our society. We're starting with the big difficult, but incredibly important sector first - education.

The second most important sector (as I'm lead to believe from reading this thread), barbers, may not be as far behind as you think.

But we'll have to see how the schools go first. So far it hasn't been a massive disaster, so start thinking about what blade you want, Niall. That day is coming and you should be prepared.

Europe is ****ed at the moment.
    Being one of the best of a bunch of losers doesn't mean we're in good shape.

I just told you what the main plan is. We also have a prioritised list for reopening sectors of our society. We're starting with the big difficult, but incredibly important sector first - education.

The second most important sector (as I'm lead to believe from reading this thread), barbers, may not be as far behind as you think.

But we'll have to see how the schools go first. So far it hasn't been a massive disaster, so start thinking about what blade you want, Niall. That day is coming and you should be prepared.

So you haven't a clue, that's the problem. Can you not just admit the communication is pathetic and they have not a clue what is happening.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Absolute sense.

Absolutely. Should be replayed to the government over and over until it sinks in.

Refreshing to listen to, and tbh, saddens me too.

I feel we have been let down so badly especially by those in leadership positions.

To give people something to aim for, if cases or hospital numbers are good we can open on these dates. There is nothing to aim for at the moment so I personally have given up, case numbers make no difference we are not opening up.

This is Greece
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-greece-idUSKBN2B01B3

Poland
    https://study.gov.pl/news/next-stages-lifting-covid-19-related-restrictions

Bulgaria
    https://www.euractiv.com/section/elections/news/bulgaria-to-open-restaurants-from-march-nightclubs-from-april/

Good reply, thats what iu was looking for but my point still stands, those dates are aspirational really, if things take a turn for the worse they wont be adhered to. But anyway i asked for examples and you delivered in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

What is the point in announcing dates that we may not be able to deliver on

To give the people who have been sitting at home for a year some ****ing idea when they can work again?
    To at least attempt to have some ****ing ambition?
    To at least attempt to look like they have some idea what the **** they are at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Absolutely. Should be replayed to the government over and over until it sinks in.

I feel we have been let down so badly especially by those in leadership positions.

I could listen to that caller all day :)

Fair play to him - very articulate and wasn't afraid to call out the media straight to her face.

Good reply, thats what iu was looking for but my point still stands, those dates are aspirational really, if things take a turn for the worse they wont be adhered to. But anyway i asked for examples and you delivered in fairness.

Me personally if we had dates like that, and let's say cases had to be less than 500. I would tell my mates just stay at home for another few weeks but at the moment we have nothing to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

Have all been playing it off the cuff over the last week. Are you following what is going on there ?
    Even the UK , furthest down the vaccine road, is even today humming and hawing about foreign leisure travel in July and August. And not expected to give even an indication on that for over 3 weeks yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    To give the people who have been sitting at home for a year some ****ing idea when they can work again? To at least attempt to have some ****ing ambition? To at least attempt to look they some idea what the **** they are at?

I'm amazed at the suggestion you cant issue a plan because factors may change the plan. We are not looking for fortune teller but a plan based on achievable metrics.

There is no plan other than lockdown and hope the vaccine programme works as per schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

Anything, they did it last April when we knew nothing about the virus.

Exactly. They knew nothing. Now they do know something about it, and so know at least, that they cannot predict or plan. But must react as the situation develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Good to see a journalist asking relevant questions of the government and their 'plan', it's a pity he's in Portugal because I haven't seen to many resident journalists here question what's happening to our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Exactly. They knew nothing. Now they do know something about it, and so know at least, that they cannot predict or plan. But must react as the situation develops.

A year later the reaction is to lockdown again, we've been like this for nearly 3 months now with no change likely on the horizon.

Are there really no other options?

Have all been playing it off the cuff over the last week. Are you following what is going on there ?
    Even the UK , furthest down the vaccine road, is even today humming and hawing about foreign leisure travel in July and August. And not expected to give even an indication on that for over 3 weeks yet.

UK debating foreign leisure travel and we are debating extending the 5km restriction. Yes European plans change depending on numbers but they have something to aim for. Our plan is to stay in lockdown so we won't have to go back into lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://twitter.com/Robbie_Power/status/1373291131098783746

She's a vile old wagon alright but crossing a line to threaten her anonmyously in her home I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Ivan Yates said it perfect, there's three different groups of people, those who are better off, those who are indifferent, and those who have had their livelihoods decimated. I think the majority of us share one thing in common though, we're ready to get back to living our lives.

We're ready but the majority are waiting for permission.
    The protesters were out today on behalf of the people and they are being laughed at by people who want the lockdown to end and should be joining them?
    The lockdown is going to continue until people take to the streets like they did in 2003 in opposition to the Iraq War or in opposition a few years ago to Irish Water.
    Why they aren't doing it brighter people will be able to tell me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement