Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Well aren't you brave.

You're missing some of the fundamentals though I'm afraid. It wouldn't be 40 a day if we opened up tomorrow. It would be a catastrophe within a month.

Pure conjecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

niallo27 wrote: »
    You do know nearly every other country in the world is more open than us, and not one, not a single one has had a catastrophe in their health system. Not a single ****en one.

Depends on what you mean by catastrophe though ? Bodies actually piling up in the streets, not so much, but things like people being sent home and not able to treat them or regular health treatments cancelled, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Russman wrote: »
    Depends on what you mean by catastrophe though ? Bodies actually piling up in the streets, not so much, but things like people being sent home and not able to treat them or regular health treatments cancelled, yes.

In the middle of a global pandemic I would hardly call it a catastrophe. Would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Exactly what was done last year so.

When we cancelled thousands of procedures and cancer screenings as a preventative measure while private hospitals lay empty for months

Haha, when ya think of the boloxin that was supposedly done for the good of the nations health

And I’ve often read that this thread is full of lunatics

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Pure conjecture.

if you ignore January and pretend increased mobility doesn't see case numbers leaping upwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

You do know nearly every other country in the world is more open than us, and not one, not a single one has had a catastrophe in their health system. Not a single ****en one.

Niall, in some hospitals they've had to intubate without sedative. I can hardly imagine something more grisly.
    They've had to ask vets to release their stock of animal sedatives.

****ing thousands of people are dying every day. Many can't get access to hospital. They've run out of beds.

You need to stop reading articles from nearly two weeks ago, and try to remember how long a time 11 days can be when you're experiencing exponential growth of a virus.

Niall, you're talking about brazil as if they're grand. They're completely ****ed. It's bergamo on a huge scale. Worse even.

B117 would do the same here if let, just not as quickly as P1.

I said in the post you quoted that it was shocking, they have no restrictions there, population density multiples of ours and a huge portion live in poverty. Comparing them to us is just and saying same would happen is quiet simply bull****.

Pure conjecture.

It's objective truth actually.

You're arguing with fact. Good luck. I'll leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I said in the post you quoted that it was shocking, they have no restrictions there, population density multiples of ours and a huge portion live in poverty. Comparing them to us is just and saying same would happen is quiet simply bull****.

As well as poverty and large families living in shacks they have high a % of the population suffering obesity.

Essentially something that could never be repeated in Ireland, but it’s just another country on another continent that’s just like Ireland it seems.

You also must remember that Sweden is not comparable to Ireland in anyway whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

They have though unfortunately. This thing really does overwhelm healthcare systems when its rampant.

"Hospitalized patients in the northern Hauts-de-France region were set to be transferred to facilities in Belgium starting Wednesday, local health authorities said. "

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20210311-french-hospitals-to-transfer-covid-19-patients-as-critical-cases-reach-three-month-high

It's good to see countries working together. In November Belgium was transferring patients to Germany.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-belgium-helicopter-idUSKBN27J1MQ

• Advertisement

They do have restrictions, just not on a national level. It's a federation of states.

It's not bull**** at all. Have you forgotten January already?

In the middle of a global pandemic I would hardly call it a catastrophe. Would you?

Depends on the context. One person being sent home, fine, it happens, like anything though, throw a bit of volume at it and it gets pretty bad.
    I read about one state in the US (one of the Dakotas maybe, can’t remember) where a hospital sent something like 150 people home with oxygen tanks to save the beds for worse patients than them. I’d call that pretty catastrophic. Even most of our own non covid care was stopped in Dec/Jan.

john4321 wrote: »
    They have though unfortunately. This thing really does overwhelm healthcare systems when its rampant.

"Hospitalized patients in the northern Hauts-de-France region were set to be transferred to facilities in Belgium starting Wednesday, local health authorities said. "

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20210311-french-hospitals-to-transfer-covid-19-patients-as-critical-cases-reach-three-month-high

It's good to see countries working together. In November Belgium was transferring patients to Germany.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-belgium-helicopter-idUSKBN27J1MQ

Yeah, and it's been happening recently again with Portugal, Czech republic and Slovakia.

I assume Niall thinks they were all exporting incredibly ill patients hundreds of miles overseas for the craic. Because obviously their health system was just rosey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Depends on the context. One person being sent home, fine, it happens, like anything though, throw a bit of volume at it and it gets pretty bad.
    I read about one state in the US (one of the Dakotas maybe, can’t remember) where a hospital sent something like 150 people home with oxygen tanks to save the beds for worse patients than them. I’d call that pretty catastrophic. Even most of our own non covid care was stopped in Dec/Jan.

150 people being sent home with the necessary equipment to treat them isn't catastrophic... if anything it’s pragmatic! I’d hazard a guess that none of them were in any dander of dying

That's from last November.

Exactly what was done last year so.

When we cancelled thousands of procedures and cancer screenings as a preventative measure while private hospitals lay empty for months

Haha, when ya think of the boloxin that was supposedly done for the good of the nations health

And I’ve often read that this thread is full of lunatics

Yeah I read that too......

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

It's objective truth actually.

You're arguing with fact. Good luck. I'll leave you to it.

You sound like Neil Ferguson or Gerry Killeen using words like 'catastrophe', we all know they have been wrong time and time again, by a big margin.

That's from last November.

547675.jpg

Yeah, and it's been happening recently again with Portugal, Czech republic and Slovakia.

I assume Niall thinks they were all exporting incredibly ill patients hundreds of miles overseas for the craic. Because obviously their health system was just rosey

The north of France is on a border with Belgium. Its shorter than going to Paris. The other link is from last year and guess what Belgium didn't collapse.

Open up Munster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Open up Munster

Free the rebel county!

You sound like Neil Ferguson or Gerry Killeen using words like 'catastrophe', we all know they have been wrong time and time again, by a big margin.

Would you not call what has happened here in the last few months a catastrophe?

Thousands dead. Hospitals ****ed. Kids getting a ****ty education. **** loads out of work. An all pervasive gloom.

That is a catastrophe by my definition. Are you finding it all quite easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Do you have a link? All I can about it is hospital at home programs in a couple of states. It seems to have been more of an experiment for low risk patients and to free up beds but not because they were unable to provide care. Most because they didn't actually need hospitalisation

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/hospitals-make-room-coronavirus-patients-trying-treat-people-home-n1170311

The north of France is on a border with Belgium. Its shorter than going to Paris. The other link is from last year and guess what Belgium didn't collapse.

Portugal imported a bunch of german docs and equipment, and sent patients via airplane to Austria.
    That was in January and February.

Czech republic and Slovakia have had to do similar in recent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

RobitTV wrote: »
    We need an emergency scapegoat. Lets turn back the clock to January and get back to blaming the airports. They are like Chernobyl right now.

Takeaway pints hasn't gotten an outing recently. That and the mini protest in Phoenix Park should do it for this week.

My first example was from less than two weeks ago where a healthcare system collapsed backed up with the story.

I then commented "It's good to see countries working together. In November Belgium was transferring patients to Germany.

Again trying to be positive thats all.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Do you have a link? All I can about it is hospital at home programs in a couple of states. It seems to have been more of an experiment for low risk patients and to free up beds but not because they were unable to provide care. Most because they didn't actually need hospitalisation

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/hospitals-make-room-coronavirus-patients-trying-treat-people-home-n1170311

This wasn’t where I read it a few weeks ago, honestly can’t remember the article, a quick google throws up this however....
    https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/12/the-worst-case-scenario-is-happening-hospitals-are-overwhelmed/617301/

Niall, when people talk of health systems collapsing, they're not suggesting the hospitals will crumble to the ground.

It's about people not being able to receive treatment for all sorts of ailments, as capacity has been breached.
    This has happened numerous times all over the world, and is happening in multiple countries right now.

• Advertisement

My first example was from less than two weeks ago where a healthcare system collapsed backed up with the story.

I then commented "It's good to see countries working together. In November Belgium was transferring patients to Germany.

Again trying to be positive thats all.

Hospitals send patients to other hospitals all the time, do you think this is a collapse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement