Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Boris lockdown announcement.

Very interesting that he announces all measure potentially ended by 21st June.

How much of this roadmap will Ireland copy word for word?

At least they have something to aim towards. In Ireland we would get the usual antromorphisation of the virus with something like "The virus doesn't respect plans or know what date it is". You know the usual bull****.

I'm not sure how much we will follow but if Northern Ireland go for something similar which is quite conceivable it would leave Irelands leaked plans (if I am reading between the lines correctly" untenable. I doubt there would be as much disparity in personal freedoms on one island anywhere in the world save North Korea/South Korea.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Sky News had an article this morning about the leaked roadmap for the UK last night with the heading

“Some people will be disappointed with the UKs roadmap for lockdown exit”

In all fairness its still another 16 weeks or so of lock downs.

I`ll be disappointed when its us.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Interestingly Mike Ryan of the WHO said today Ireland should resist putting dates on anything, numbers were too high and everyone must double down on personal behaviours and efforts. Reminded me of when principal of a school would have a word with the cigire to get the students to be more obedient. Someone must have had his ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It will be the same layout, same criteria, they just won't put dates on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Interestingly Mike Ryan of the WHO said today Ireland should resist putting dates on anything, numbers were too high and everyone must double down on personal behaviours and efforts. Reminded me of when principal of a school would have a word with the cigire to get the students to be more obedient. Someone must have had his ear.

If no dates are given, then the compliance will drop even more

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

So the UK are aiming to have all restrictions lifted by June 21st. Obviously it's ambitious, but with our authorities talking about the possibility of having restrictions in place here into 2022 I think people could rapidly start to loose faith in our Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

We really should have got our new Covid plan out last Friday, its going to look so pathetic now following the UKs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Gael23 wrote: »
    All restrictions in the uk to be lifted by the end of June

Meanwhile we won’t even have non essential retail open over here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

UK Roadmap:

Look at June. Incredible.

Eu2AVAVXEAEO0LT?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

RobitTV wrote: »
    UK Roadmap:

Ireland:

Step 1 August
    Possible outdoor activities

Step 2 TBC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭d161

TheDoctor wrote: »
    We really should have got our new Covid plan out last Friday, its going to look so pathetic now following the UKs.

Does anybody really expect anything worthwhile to be announced from this government?

No matter what they say it will mean absolutely nothing. Doesn't matter when it comes out.

I only wonder if it's kite flying or pure incompetence from the politicians.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

UK Roadmap:

Look at May even - international travel on the 17th May - I might just book my holiday and fly out through Belfast!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Look at May even - international travel on the 17th May - I might just book my holiday and fly out through Belfast!!!

The Government here is facing a serious problem now given Northern Ireland will be easing restrictions significantly in the weeks ahead.

I've been generally understanding and supportive of the approach our Government has taken, but to be honest I reckon serious trouble is in store if they keep talking up keeping restrictions in place until much later in the year. It won't wash with people.

UK Roadmap:

Yeah our *possible* picnic in the park with a friend in June ain’t got nothing on that

d161 wrote: »
    Does anybody really expect anything worthwhile to be announced from this government?

No matter what they say it will mean absolutely nothing. Doesn't matter when it comes out.

I only wonder if it's kite flying or pure incompetence from the politicians.

The only thing is the UK announcement might put pressure on our lot to move things along at a faster pace. They`ll look like the fools they are if they dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

UK Roadmap:

So when are they opening their construction :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I have full confidence Ireland will copy the roadmap with the exception of the 21 date.

More likely to be 2023

UK Roadmap:

They are doing f all until mid april, aside from schools, which we are also doing, and care home visits, which we already have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

The only thing is the UK announcement might put pressure on our lot to move things along at a faster pace. They`ll look like the fools they are if they dont.

agreed but hasn't stopped them in the past.
    Nphet won't like losing their grip

Micheál right now, raging at the fact that the plan he had intended to copy is too positive, too progressive and doesn’t mention the words “new variants”, “cautious” or “conservative”

Brennan-Cape.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭d161

They couldn't look any worse than they did Thursday to Saturday?

That was staggering!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

Well, that has certainly set the cat amongst the pigeons. I wouldn't be putting much money on that schedule being met but at least it's a plan and something to give people hope. Boris is a bluffer so I would wonder how much science is actually behind that? The more Irish people see that though, the more there will be a desire for us to have something similar. It's going to get messy with us having Northern Ireland just up the road from Dublin. Perhaps that might concentrate minds down here?

Everybody I have spoken to is really fed up with these lockdowns, frustrated at the glacial roll-out of the vaccine, and annoyed at the appalling communication from the government. While there is a general acceptance that restrictions were needed (spike at Christmas is proof of what happens when people throw the advice out the window), there's definitely fatigue. It isn't helpful when you have people coming out in the media speculating that you might be able to stand on a beach in August or eat outdoors in October. They need to synchronize their message and produce a sexy graphic like Boris's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Whiplash85 wrote: »
      At least they have something to aim towards. In Ireland we would get the usual antromorphisation of the virus with something like "The virus doesn't respect plans or know what date it is". You know the usual bull****.

I'm not sure how much we will follow but if Northern Ireland go for something similar which is quite conceivable it would leave Irelands leaked plans (if I am reading between the lines correctly" untenable. I doubt there would be as much disparity in personal freedoms on one island anywhere in the world save North Korea/South Korea.

not gonna lie
      you've given me a new word i had to look up antromorphisation

my IQ has risen.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Tork wrote: »
      Well, that has certainly set the cat amongst the pigeons. I wouldn't be putting much money on that schedule being met but at least it's a plan and something to give people hope. Boris is a bluffer so I would wonder how much science is actually behind that? The more Irish people see that though, the more there will be a desire for us to have something similar. It's going to get messy with us having Northern Ireland just up the road from Dublin. Perhaps that might concentrate minds down here?

Everybody I have spoken to is really fed up with these lockdowns, frustrated at the glacial roll-out of the vaccine, and annoyed at the appalling communication from the government. While there is a general acceptance that restrictions were needed (spike at Christmas is proof of what happens when people throw the advice out the window), there's definitely fatigue. It isn't helpful when you have people coming out in the media speculating that you might be able to stand on a beach in August or eat outdoors in October. They need to synchronize their message and produce a sexy graphic like Boris's one.

I think it will be met. Chris Whitty was talking last week about what level of death is acceptable so it seems that they are going with the theory that they will have vaccinated a good chunk of the population so the mortality rate should be below an acceptable level. They mentioned 30k that the flu kills every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

For Ireland's roadmap please add 3 months to that indicated in the UK publications.

ENDS

For Ireland's roadmap please add 3 months to that indicated in the UK publications.

ENDS

Months?

I was thinking years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Tork wrote: »
      Well, that has certainly set the cat amongst the pigeons. I wouldn't be putting much money on that.

Just wanted to highlight this part of your post. I get it, the Tory's are liars and I can't stand them, but nobody thought the vaccination target at the 15th of February would be met and it was smashed. They seem to be shifting towards "under promise, over deliver" now. Maybe I'm foolish for allowing myself to be a bit optimistic but I honestly didn't expect June to be the removal of all restrictions, I have a gig booked in September that I didn't expect to happen so I'm pleasantly surprised.

However, as I mentioned earlier, this plan has been met with frustration and anger going by the Coronavirus UK sub. I think those dates, especially for retail/bars/barbers/gyms are overly cautious and he'll be under pressure to bring it forward. Hospitalisations/deaths were very low last summer, they'll be even lower this summer with vaccines + immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

At least the UK have things to look forward too, psychological wise....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Just wanted to highlight this part of your post. I get it, the Tory's are liars and I can't stand them, but nobody thought the vaccination target at the 15th of February would be met and it was smashed. They seem to be shifting towards "under promise, over deliver" now. Maybe I'm foolish for allowing myself to be a bit optimistic but I honestly didn't expect June to be the removal of all restrictions, I have a gig booked in September that I didn't expect to happen so I'm pleasantly surprised.

However, as I mentioned earlier, this plan has been met with frustration and anger going by the Coronavirus UK sub. I think those dates, especially for retail/bars/barbers/gyms are overly cautious and he'll be under pressure to bring it forward. Hospitalisations/deaths were very low last summer, they'll be even lower this summer with vaccines + immunity.

Yes - with the massive vaccination effort over there, by April cases will be dropping fast, hospitalisations will fall off a cliff - remember those admitted to hospital are majority older and these are the group to be priority vaccinated, so even if most of the population are not vaccinated and there are still a lot of cases, the fact that the old & vulnerable have been vaccinated will really crush hospital numbers.

• Advertisement

Considering that the vaccine seems to prevent 90+% of deaths in the demographics that makes up 95+% of deaths, I'd say they're being over-cautious with the plan and intend to move it forward as the effects of the vaccination make themselves known.

Whatever else you think of him, Nadhim Zahawi seems to have done a stellar job of managing the vaccine rollout. He's primed for a future run at PM as things stand.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement