Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

RGS wrote: »
    How in God's name would opening up an outdoor non contact sport lead to a huge number of deaths and severe illness.

That's hyperbole at its highest.

Close the bar at the golf club. Don't allow caddying. People must play with someone in their bubble/household.

Under those stipulations any player living within 5km of a golf club is under no different environmental pressures than any other person in Level 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Actually don’t play golf.

I do enjoy been able to decide how to live my life.

Don’t require a nanny state.

Genuine question would you prefer to live in a country with a curfew and mandatory wearing of masks outside like France for example?

I personally think we these things are much more restrictive and nanny state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Some of you seem to have the idea that I suggested golf was the source of the covid problem we all face.
    I wish it was, but it's not.

I never suggested anything of the sort, you're all just purposely misrepresenting what I actually did say.
    And that's fine. I'm used to it by now.

Knock yourselves out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

My initial post wasn't complaining about not being able to play golf, as I don't play it myself although I watch it. I was lamenting how my brother in the States has freedom to live some semblance of a normal life (which for him features golf) whereas I am technically breaking the law for travelling beyond 5KM in the current climate.

And yeah I am sure every one of the 500-odd K of the deaths in America all died on a golf course. Get real ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

john4321 wrote: »
    Genuine question would you prefer to live in a country with a curfew and mandatory wearing of masks outside like France for example?

I personally think we these things are much more restrictive and nanny state.

I would one million times prefer to live in a country with a curfew and mandatory outdoor masks. In such countries I could:

have a meal out
    get my hair cut
    go into a department store like Dunnes Stores and not have sections stupidly cordoned off.
    go for a drive further than 5km

Curfew and mandatory outdoor masks are a small price to pay for being able to avail of simple things like the above. Limited due to curfews but still available.
    How could anybody think that that is worse than the absolute straitjacket we have here? And a farcical straightjacket as numbers are going up and not down.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Will Leo leak this week any restriction Change that will be happening on the 5th?

My initial post wasn't complaining about not being able to play golf, as I don't play it myself although I watch it. I was lamenting how my brother in the States has freedom to live some semblance of a normal life (which for him features golf) whereas I am technically breaking the law for travelling beyond 5KM in the current climate.

And yeah I am sure every one of the 500-odd K of the deaths in America all died on a golf course. Get real ffs.

You know what, I sort of agree.
    From an epidemiological standpoint, golfers have not been well served. The actual activity of golfing may have caused close to zero cases.

I just don't care enough about golfers well-being to really give a **** when there's so many less fortunate going through much worse.

I'd much rather have had our restrictions, which often precluded golf when times got bad, than the botched plans that most states introduced due to the lack of responsibility on a national level.

I wouldn't swap with the US in a million years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

acequion wrote: »
    I would one million times prefer to live in a country with a curfew and mandatory outdoor masks. In such countries I could:

have a meal out
    get my hair cut
    go into a department store like Dunnes Stores and not have sections stupidly cordoned off.

Curfew and mandatory outdoor masks are a small price to pay for being able to avail of simple things like the above. Limited due to curfews but still available.
    How could anybody think that that is worse than the absolute straitjacket we have here? And a farcical straightjacket as numbers are going up and not down.

Are there still simpletons going around claiming that all curfews must be bad and look at us with our 5k restrictions being so lucky! Jesus wept.

We are effectively under curfew just a distance one rather than time and people don’t even see it.

have a meal out
    get my hair cut

What if, like in the majority of Portugal recently, you couldn't leave your home after 1pm on a Saturday or Sunday?

I think most of you would lose your minds at that. I think I would join you.
    Three plus months of that?

I'd be subscribing to gript with the rest of you

have a meal out
    get my hair cut

Thanks for the reply. I want all them things as well that you mentioned and in a few months will be able to.

I have just changed my focus for now, for example instead of a meal out I have got more interested in cooking at home. I have had to cut my own hair (badly) a few times etc. but once these sectors open up I will be there to support them.

Again personally I would have hated a curfew it seems so much more restrictive especially with the longer days ahead and I think many people would not be too happy with mandatory wearing outside.

• Advertisement

the kelt wrote: »
    Are there still simpletons going around claiming that all curfews must be bad and look at us with our 5k restrictions being so lucky! Jesus wept.

We are effectively under curfew just a distance one rather than time and people don’t even see it.

Last sentence so true whether time or distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

growleaves wrote: »
    Its basically just going for a walk outdoors.

How that creates a huge number of extra deaths and severe illness is beyond me. Is walking around a field a superspreader event?

It’s the same with tennis.
    I mean NPHET can never really be accused of not following science after closing , oh , I mean “advising” that tennis should be effectively outlawed.
    Total super spreader sport.

gansi wrote: »
    Last sentence so true whether time or distance.

Would you rather do hard time or hard distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

Thanks for the reply. I want all them things as well that you mentioned and in a few months will be able to.

I have just changed my focus for now, for example instead of a meal out I have got more interested in cooking at home. I have had to cut my own hair (badly) a few times etc. but once these sectors open up I will be there to support them.

Again personally I would have hated a curfew it seems so much more restrictive especially with the longer days ahead and I think many people would not be too happy with mandatory wearing outside.

What makes you so sure we'll be able to? You seem very patient and philosophical about it but a lot of people are completely at their wits end after more than a year of this. Not to mention the very many chefs, waiters, barbers, hairdressers etc who are despairing at ever getting back to doing those things. And ever getting back to earning the living they trained to do.

Many people are sick to death of cooking all the time. Mothers/fathers of families, constantly cooking, never a little family treat out.

Days are only getting longer now, curfew would not have affected us in the short days of January and February. It was even attempted in this country, was it not worth attempting?

And I just cannot understand for the life of me how anyone would take the everything closed situation to the relatively small sacrifice of wearing a mask outdoors. Most of us working with people work all day long masked. Wearing one outdoors is no major extra deal.

You seem respectful to other views but there are several posters who just cannot or will not get how people are utterly worn out and worn down from all these ultimately futile lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

Well, doc, you're probably a golfer.

I'm not, and I wouldn't swap golf for a huge number of extra deaths and severe illness.

I am of a mind to try golf though when it reopens. It must be ****ing great.

THIS, this is why I worry about the mental damage these lockdowns are doing to people.

I've posted this before but I have yet to see one shread of evidence that covid has been spread on a golfcourse (excluding clubhouse/restaurant of course). From what I've read before Christmas your 17 times less likely to spread/catch covid outdoors.

In fact I'd go as far to say the benefits (physical health) wise would make this a good public health decision the little bit of extra tax would be a side benefit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Why the sudden pretence that specific sports are being singled out as unsafe?

One of main point of restrictions is to limit people moving around spreading a virus. Pretty much all social activities are currently restricted to that end.

What makes you so sure we'll be able to? You seem very patient and philosophical about it but a lot of people are completely at their wits end after more than a year of this. Not to mention the very many chefs, waiters, barbers, hairdressers etc who are despairing at ever getting back to doing those things. And ever getting back to earning the living they trained to do.

Many people are sick to death of cooking all the time. Mothers/fathers of families, constantly cooking, never a little family treat out.

Days are only getting longer now, curfew would not have affected us in the short days of January and February. It was even attempted in this country, was it not worth attempting?

And I just cannot understand for the life of me how anyone would take the everything closed situation to the relatively small sacrifice of wearing a mask outdoors. Most of us working with people work all day long masked. Wearing one outdoors is no major extra deal.

You seem respectful to other views but there are several posters who just cannot or will not get how people are utterly worn out and worn down from all these ultimately futile lockdowns.

I'm not for a second trying to downplay the effect of this on anyone that's why I try to ensure I keep my comments personal.

Again I agree with your post people have got "sick to death of cooking all the time" I was just mentioned how I tried to stay positive and if you want to check my posts contributed to the food forum which gave me inspiration.

On this:

"And I just cannot understand for the life of me how anyone would take the everything closed situation to the relatively small sacrifice of wearing a mask outdoors. Most of us working with people work all day long masked. Wearing one outdoors is no major extra deal"

I think it's unfair to say everything is closed or try to compare this to March 2020. We are in a great place now with effective vaccines rolling out (slow yes but due to supply) but I will take it over March 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

dalyboy wrote: »
    It’s the same with tennis.
    I mean NPHET can never really be accused of not following science after closing , oh , I mean “advising” that tennis should be effectively outlawed.
    Total super spreader sport.

I never understood the tennis thing.

Are we a nation of tennis players?

I think we need to show some caution and bring back fencing and polo first.
    If cases don't spike, then reopen yachting and Lacrosse.

If they go well, then it's time to consider golf and tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

What's all this curfew talk? If Ireland had curfew it would just be on top of everything else we have and not in exchange for any goodies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

NIMAN wrote: »
    I never understood the tennis thing.

Are we a nation of tennis players?

Well yes.
    I play tennis.
    I’ve played all my life.
    I’ve 5 close circle friends that play.
    My parents play tennis too.
    So yes. I don’t understand this tennis thing either.
    Why in gods name is an outside sport , played at distance to your playing partner not fully allowed.

Well yes.
    I play tennis.
    I’ve played all my life.
    Why in gods name is an outside sport , played at distance to your playing partner not fully allowed.

Well how would you feel if fencing and equestrian sports were allowed, but not tennis?

There would be few things more divisive than reopening what is rightly viewed as posh sport, and not the sports of the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

They're going to have some serious uphill battle to convince people to keep the 5Km limit after easter.

I wont be complying(while i have in the past, this will go on forever so i'm done with location limits).

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Well yes.
    I play tennis.
    I’ve played all my life.

Because nothing is allowed, not one thing to do with sports for ordinary people. The amount of teenagers who wont return to sport after this will have a huge knock-on effect for years to come.

There is literally zero risk from outdoor training sessions and at least that was something.

We will have lost a lot of them between schools and sports being unavailable and it will bring an avalanche of issues down the line. Health and societal, its so important for children and teens especially to be part of something like a team or being around like minded peers, it definitely helps keep them on the right track through vulnerable years. And it's all gone for some of them who won't ever go back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well yes.
    I play tennis.
    I’ve played all my life.

Thats the way restrictions work, its meant to stop people moving around and coming into contact with each other.

Its ok to say you and your tennis partner avoid each other, but you might have 2 other tennis players who will travel in the same car to the court.

The same reason why they are limiting numbers at everything. They are afraid people will break the rules getting to/after events. Hence funerals having so few, cos they don't want to allow 50 and then have everyone heading back to a single house for tea afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thats the way restrictions work, its meant to stop people moving around and coming into contact with each other.

Its ok to say you and your tennis partner avoid each other, but you might have 2 other tennis players who will travel in the same car to the court.

The same reason why they are limiting numbers at everything. They are afraid people will break the rules getting to/after events. Hence funerals having so few, cos they don't want to allow 50 and then have everyone heading back to a single house for tea afterwards.

We are a year into this thing. Only fools don't understand how to partake safely. Start considering outdoor activities individually and allow people have a little bit of life back. I'd open any outdoor activity that can be done safely and go to a county limit for a while. It's effectively what people are doing now anyway and any further restrictions just won't work now. Some great leadership from MM in last 3 months. Properly ****ed this one up. Again.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    They're going to have some serious uphill battle to convince people to keep the 5Km limit after easter.

I wont be complying(while i have in the past, this will go on forever so i'm done with location limits).

I would have thought it's really simple, county limit but encourage people to shop local, I.e if you go to edge of county don't go indoors unless you really have to. Do your shopping as close to home as possible. Logical and majority of people would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    I would have thought it's really simple, county limit but encourage people to shop local, I.e if you go to edge of county don't go indoors unless you really have to. Do your shopping as close to home as possible. Logical and majority of people would do it.
    Yes, of course, but any common sense approach by this government will be completely ignored as they will keep level 5 as long as possible( i.e. well into the summer ) along with NPHET scare mongering( news today - hospitals are really full, we need to be vigilant ).

They can decide whatever they want, i'm out in terms of restricting my distance from home, will adhere to other rules.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Yes, of course, but any common sense approach by this government will be completely ignored as they will keep level 5 as long as possible( i.e. well into the summer ) along with NPHET scare mongering( news today - hospitals are really full, we need to be vigilant ).

They can decide whatever they want, i'm out in terms of restricting my distance from home, will adhere to other rules.

I gave up on it in january. I follow what I said above. I'll go where I want on own / with household but I won't go into any shops outside the locality. Can't get much safer than that. It's scandalous that they have gotten away with the 5km for so long now despite MM being against it when he was in opposition!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Not sure why you spend day after day here promoting doom and gloom and worst case scenarios.

I hope you understand you are not doing much for the mental health of people who read these threads but might not comment on these threads. The negativity is off the scales at this stage.

We are lucky enough to live in a prosperous country who can support it's population but you appear to want to provide nothing but negative news.

The lack of self awareness here is off the charts

I’ve just been reading about the Covid situation in Brazil and the likelihood of that happening here if we reopen according to some posters. It was the same last year with Lombardy.

You vehemently defend Ireland’s plans when they have been, and plan to continue to be for month's, one of the most suppressed nations not just in Europe but across the globe.

Ireland is well clear on top of the length of time businesses are closed and will pull away further with the planned reopening timelines.

The chap I responded to, again tried to communicate that if it takes another 3.5 months for businesses to start to reopen that it will be fine.

It’s time people realise where the planned reopening will leave us, it’s a conversation that’s not happening across the media in Ireland at present.

The last line of comment is baffling,” we’re a prosperous country who can support its population”.

All’s kinds of misunderstanding there as our indigenous economy is in complete tatters, we’ve even closed construction, what’s supporting Ireland throughout this is FDI, and mostly US based companies.

Ireland is the 3rd most indebted nation across the globe and we plan to add to that for another few months and you claim we can support ourselves. If Ireland could support itself it wouldn’t have need billions of aid from the EU already.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement