Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Colm Henry on NT is stumbling his way through an interview at the moment, desperately trying to spin positives from the mess they've made of the vaccination program.

He then says they aren't tracing maybe 30% of cases when questioned about the reports of poor infrastructure behind it all and that lockdown is their only way to deal with this.

There you have it.. We are in ongoing lockdown because Colm and his colleagues haven't been able to get their internal processes and resources in order after a year and despite an unlimited pot of cash.

First question for the post-pandemic tribunal : what DID you spend the money on then??

Never in the history of the State has so much been spent for so little benefit.

We are now at the end of March with so called non-essential retail closed down, construction closed, 25% of the working population on the PUP and thousands of viable domestic businesses being systematically destroyed.

It is now abundantly clear from the case numbers that even the most fervent lockdown cheerleaders are done with this never-ending nonsense.

And still we persist in burning through billions every single month.

This money will need to be accounted for and paid back by taxpayers. Services will be eviscerated in the coming years, which will disproportionally affect those most in need.

The abdication of responsibility by politicians who are paid to best represent this country, the behavior of the media in chasing cheap clicks and advertising revenue by ramping up the hysteria and failing to hold politicians to account and the failure of the electorate, by demonstrating how easily they can be cowed and controlled, are all depressing to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

construction closed,

:pac:

You need to get out and go for a walk or a drive.

Or maybe I am seeing hoards of ghost builders.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You mean at the end of last year when the relaxation of restrictions happened to coincide with the arrival of the much more transmissible variant B117 wave from our nearest neighbour, which the rest of Europe is currently going through regardless of their prior level of restriction?

Partly yes, have you discovered a means of eradicating the B117 variant so it can be ignored?

timmyntc wrote: »
    Now we are in an even better place with most of vulnerable groups having at least 1 vaccination, so comparisons to christmas are moot.

You should definitely tell some of our larger EU neighbours that they can safely ignore the recent surges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Boggles wrote: »
    :pac:

You need to get out and go for a walk or a drive.

Or maybe I am seeing hoards of ghost builders.

Classic Boggles and his selective seeing.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#construction
    Refer to the above and then tell me - is construction open or closed?

I'll give you a hint, its in the article:
    Construction is closed, with the following exceptions:

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    You should definitely tell some of our larger EU neighbours that they can safely ignore the recent surges.

Deflect deflect deflect.

I thought we werent comparable to most of Europe?

If we are, then maybe we should think about relaxing some of our restrictions, non-essential retail, outdoor dining, travel limits, outdoor sports.

Classic Boggles and his selective seeing.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#construction
    Refer to the above and then tell me - is construction open or closed?

I'll give you a hint, its in the article:

So even by that article would it not be obvious that construction is not "closed".

I knew Tom Parlon wasn't telling lies.

But if I believe what has been stated on here, I must be seeing ghost builders so.

Anyone else see them around?

So even by that article would it not be obvious that construction is not "closed".

But if I believe what has been stated on here, I must be seeing ghost builders so.

:confused:

I thought we werent comparable to most of Europe?

If we are, then maybe we should think about relaxing some of our restrictions, non-essential retail, outdoor dining, travel limits, outdoor sports.

Just as large parts of Europe tighten restrictions in the face of a new wave?

You want to be like the EU when restrictions are relaxed, like the UK when things look better there.....

Make your mind up.

:confused::confused::confused:

Have you seen any of the ghost builders Timmy?

Anyway according to actual facts the majority of construction workers are working and according to Tom Parlon the rest are doing "nixers".

Which is Tom speak for the rest are working too.

But you know more than the Department and Tom I'm guessing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

You want to be like the EU when restrictions are relaxed, like the UK when things look better there.....

Make your mind up.

We're at level 5 now, how can we tighten our restrictions? People are finished with the lockdowns and compliance is sharply declining. We should have loosened restrictions if we wanted to have the option to tighten them at a later date, but we didn't, so we can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Colm Henry on NT is stumbling his way through an interview at the moment, desperately trying to spin positives from the mess they've made of the vaccination program.

He then says they aren't tracing maybe 30% of cases when questioned about the reports of poor infrastructure behind it all and that lockdown is their only way to deal with this.

There you have it.. We are in ongoing lockdown because Colm and his colleagues haven't been able to get their internal processes and resources in order after a year and despite an unlimited pot of cash.

First question for the post-pandemic tribunal : what DID you spend the money on then??

So when they constantly tell us we need to redouble our efforts they don't actually mean themselves, just everyone else.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

We're at level 5 now, how can we tighten our restrictions?

Step 1) enforce the restrictions.

That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

Step 1) enforce the restrictions.

That's it.

I don't think there's public support for that

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Another chap who believe’s money is irrelevant but wants to spend it to improve healthcare.

Brilliant

Covid has exposed an alarmingly large cohort of people who have no understanding of the fact the government do not have a magic money tree!!

I don't think there's public support for that

So restrictions are likely to remain in place longer than they otherwise would have.

It doesn't change the answer to your original question "how can we tighten our restrictions?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

im all for opening up when its safe and am a great supporter of the pub, but even i see we need to keep a handle on cases til over 70s are vaxxed, lets stay on level 5 til may 1st, by then a large amount of 65+ are done and safe then hospitlizations and deaths will continue to plummet. deaths are already dropping very well. hospitalizations and ICU are going ok too.

:confused::confused::confused:

Have you seen any of the ghost builders Timmy?

Anyway according to actual facts the majority of construction workers are working and according to Tom Parlon the rest are doing "nixers".

Which is Tom speak for the rest are working too.

But you know more than the Department and Tom I'm guessing?

Closed with exceptions != Open

Whether tradesmen are doing nixers or not doesnt mean the construction industry is open.
    In fact that tradesmen are reduced to doing nixers because they cant work on site is a good indication that legal construction is for the most part, shut.

Make your mind up.

Large parts of Europe tighten restrictions in the face of a new wave, and yet by and large still have less restrictions than here. Do any of them have construction industry closed? Or a permanent 5km travel limit?

Have most of Europe shut non essential retail AND click & collect?

Have most of Europe kept hospitality closed for 5 of the last 6 months?

• Advertisement

Closed with exceptions != Open

Whether tradesmen are doing nixers or not doesnt mean the construction industry is open.
    In fact that tradesmen are reduced to doing nixers because they cant work on site is a good indication that legal construction is for the most part, shut.

The majority of construction workers are working legitimately.

And according to Tom Parlon a lot of the others are working too.

But for some reason you know better?

So restrictions are likely to remain in place longer than they otherwise would have.

It doesn't change the answer to your original question "how can we tighten our restrictions?"

Why do you think that tightening enforcement of restrictions would cause restrictions to end sooner?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Tom Parlon has been incredibly vocal about Ireland’s insistence to ignore data and close construction, the only country in the world to do so as he says himself.

He also said if we don’t reopen construction urgently we will loose workers to other countries where work is available.

Neither the PUP figures of 60,000 construction workers availing of the payment or construction value added to the economy agree with you, out and about on your daily walk.

Perhaps when the IMF return to Ireland and start asking questions you can tell them you seen lots of builders working this year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Why do you think that tightening enforcement of restrictions would cause restrictions to end sooner?

Because when lockdown doesn’t work more lockdown is the only solution

Tom Parlon has been incredibly vocal about Ireland’s insistence to ignore data and close construction, the only country in the world to do so as he says himself.

He also said if we don’t reopen construction urgently we will loose workers to other countries where work is available.

Neither the PUP figures of 60,000 construction workers availing of the payment or construction value added to the economy agree with you, out and about on your daily walk.

Perhaps when the IMF return to Ireland and start asking questions you can tell them you seen lots of builders working this year

It's Tom Parlon's job to be vocal.

But I am quoting his figures and his evidence. Which completely backs up what I know and see.

So you'll have to take it up with Tom.

It's not my opinion, it's his.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

A danger of another surge is media hot right now. Suggestions of 5km down to 1km in 5th of April. Pubs and hair dressers don’t open till 2022 the way things are going.

They can reduce it down to 2 metres for all I care. Its done.
    Was a worthless restriction anyway and should have been extended at the start of this month even if only as a sop to people.

Hard to believe that the only contingency in place for failure of the (yet another) modelling and plateauing of cases was no change in restrictions, contradictory nonsense leaking to media and Michael Martin flapping and flopping in the sand like the spineless jellyfish that he is.
    Aren't we supposed to have behavioural experts involved in the advisory groups to the Government.

Ahhh ok, this one is really easy.

Less people moving around = less virus being spread = lower case numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Should have done it in January and February then when they had the buy in to do it.
    Waste of time now.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Should have done it in January and February then when they had the buy in to do it.
    Waste of time now.

Agreed, should have been enforced from day 1.

If we don't do it at some point I think we'll be looking at pretty much the same level of restrictions until a much much larger proportion of the population is vaccinated.

Personally I'd have preferred stronger enforcement and an earlier relaxing of restrictions.

• Advertisement

Let's continue. Lower case numbers = fewer restrictions = more people moving around = more virus being spread = higher case numbers = more restrictions.

Doesn't seem to work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement