Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

He also said if we don’t reopen construction urgently we will loose workers to other countries where work is available.

I’d mentioned a few pages back, I’m supposed to be getting an extension built and if construction opens in a couple of weeks, one issue my builder will have is workers, he’s lost half his to the UK and delivery jobs already.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Graham wrote: »
    Step 1) enforce the restrictions.

That's it.

Childlike naivety. Our police maintain order and enforce laws by consent of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Agreed, should have been enforced from day 1.

If we don't do it at some point I think we'll be looking at pretty much the same level of restrictions until a much much larger proportion of the population is vaccinated.

Personally I'd have preferred stronger enforcement and an earlier relaxing of restrictions.

How do you propose stricter enforcement of restrictions?
    Genuine question - I cant see it happening.

Short of the gardai peeping in peoples windows to check they dont have house guests, there isnt much more they can do to stop it.
    We rely on policing by consent - and unfortunately our prolonged lockdowns have vanished any goodwill the people had for these restrictions. Once compliance is gone it may never come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Hahaha back at work this morning after a week off and that gave me a good chuckle.

glad I brought a smile to someone on these tough days.

Partly yes, have you discovered a means of eradicating the B117 variant so it can be ignored?

Who has suggested ignoring it or any other variant?

"Let 'er rip" is a fatuous, projected invention of the pro-restriction mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I’d mentioned a few pages back, I’m supposed to be getting an extension built and if construction opens in a couple of weeks, one issue my builder will have is workers, he’s lost half his to the UK and delivery jobs already.

Is that the lad that said he would go ahead and build it anyway and you fobbed him off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

No, it's genuinely from you lads I'm afraid.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113229527&postcount=9781

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114737368&postcount=2436

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

robbiezero wrote: »
    What's the "you lads" crap about.

I think that's pretty obvious. Cymro levelled the blame for the "let it rip" catchphrase at the feet of those of us with a "pro-restriction mind".

And I'm saying that no, it came from you lads. Those of an anti-restriction mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

you seem to think people here are some hive mind. we're not
    some of us have similar views but we aren't all on the same page with 100% the same view.

anyway you should have quoted me - I've been consistently saying let it rip since last summer and while I've questioned my view many times I've never wavered.

of course , let it rip is just a catchphrase . The reality is we should have measures like better hygiene and resources put into protecting those who are vulnerable. For a fraction of the magic money we could have better health system to cater for cases. But we should be free to go about our lives and if that means let it rip - then let it rip.

The truth is , we are all going to be exposed at some stage. These measure are only slowly the inevitable . Sadly there are a heap of morons in the general public who think these measures will prevent them being exposed to covid - I know several of these gimps , sadly for me.

and at what cost is all this ?
    a much much heavier cost than just living with covid - proper living with it not the mehole version.

But of course we have people who think we should have measures in place till people stop dying. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Impressive you've managed to tar a lot of people with the same brush based off one post a year ago by a banned user.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Impressive you've managed to tar a lot of people with the same brush based off one post a year ago by a banned user.

Just seen he was at the same nonsense again last night
    I'd be subscribing to gript with the rest of you

No wonder the main thread got sick of him/her/whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Just saw a guy who was sitting on a bench drinking a coffee by himself being told to move on by Gardai in Clontarf. Also heard from a driver at work that he was told to move on while standing 1km from his house for the first time during the pandemic. They're not going to do themselves any favours by taking the extreme approach that's been seen in parts of the UK.

Oh there are more instances of it.

I'm not tarring you all with the same brush. Fair play if you find the phrase abhorrent.
    I'm just pointing out that it is not an invention from someone on my side of the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Well how would you feel if fencing and equestrian sports were allowed, but not tennis?

There would be few things more divisive than reopening what is rightly viewed as posh sport, and not the sports of the masses.

I wouldn't be upset personally.

Besides which some working class people like to play golf. It's not totally posh.

I don't think that class warfare notions of fairness can be used as a justification for business closures. It is extraordinarily damaging to ban trade in the first place.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/paulmurphy_TD/status/1373724981402689545

Yes there are real people with political influence actually advocating for even more extreme lockdowns. I'd be nervous to hear how he even suggests this might happen or what would be needed, but what do we do after this inevitably does not work. I can't believe there are actually reasonably intelligent adults who think the people of this country could potentially all comply with out exception and sacrifice even more for a further indefinitely long period of time, after 12 months of hardship, in order to reach this goal which may or may not be achieved and may or may not actually remain as a permanently workable solution if it was ever achieved.

It’s perfectly possible that Paul is a moron. He’s certainly a fool to be peddling far left nonsense for years, but he could also be a moron.

It’s just as likely, however, that he and the Shinners are egging on the lockdown, and in fact wanting to go even further, because they know that it will leave the country in cinders, socially and economically. The losers will be the young and the low earners. In their bitterness and despair they will vote for the far left.

In a few years Ireland could well resemble Cuba or Venezuela. I live in the Middle East with two young kids. My game plan was to move back to Ireland within the next 5 years to raise them there. I bought a house and all with the aim of settling down in a nice community.

I think I miscalculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I’m travelling to Dublin this week for an essential medical appointment. The public waiting list for my issue is far too long so I am paying out of my own pocket to see a consultant at a private clinic.
    I have been given a letter stating my appointment date and time, confirming that it’s essential.

My question is, if I am stopped at a checkpoint am I obliged to disclose the nature of the appointment if I’m asked? I don’t feel like discussing my personal medical issues with a guard, as if it’s up to him to determine whether it’s necessary or not.
    I have no issue with them ringing the clinic to confirm the appointment actually exists but I just don’t think my private medical issues are anyone’s business but mine.

What information am I required by law to disclose, if asked by a guard?

Because when lockdown doesn’t work more lockdown is the only solution

This is a great soundbite that makes no sense when you actually think about it. Similar to "burn the bondholders".

What do you think brought down the covid numbers from the christmas period? The ghost builders?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

growleaves wrote: »
    I wouldn't be upset personally.

Besides which some working class people like to play golf. It's not totally posh.

I don't think that class warfare notions of fairness can be used as a justification for business closures. It is extraordinarily damaging to ban trade in the first place.

A lot of working class people play Golf. Anybody that thinks differently is just ignorant if you ask me.

Its one of the few sports that you can get out in the open and provide social distancing.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I’m travelling to Dublin this week for an essential medical appointment. The public waiting list for my issue is far too long so I am paying out of my own pocket to see a consultant at a private clinic.
    I have been given a letter stating my appointment date and time, confirming that it’s essential.

My question is, if I am stopped at a checkpoint am I obliged to disclose the nature of the appointment if I’m asked? I don’t feel like discussing my personal medical issues with a guard, as if it’s up to him to determine whether it’s necessary or not.
    I have no issue with them ringing the clinic to confirm the appointment actually exists but I just don’t think my private medical issues are anyone’s business but mine.

Just evidence of the appointment. To be honest, if you say you have a medical appointment, I doubt the cops are going to be looking for an extensive medical history unless they are complete dicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BlaktainPicard

Seanachai wrote: »
    Just saw a guy who was sitting on a bench drinking a coffee by himself being told to move on by Gardai in Clontarf. Also heard from a driver at work that he was told to move on while standing 1km from his house for the first time during the pandemic. They're not going to do themselves any favours by taking the extreme approach that's been seen in parts of the UK.

Drunk on power.
    Surely common sense should prevail ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Hooked

as per:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#travel-restrictions

Yo are allowed to travel -
    to attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products

Show the letter. And take NO SH1T!!!

Remind the Garda IF they need their manners checked that THEY have a code of ethics to follow - and DO NOT engage in any small talk with regards to your letter.

Quote the exemption. Show your letter... and then ask - can I be on my way now?

IMy question is, if I am stopped at a checkpoint am I obliged to disclose the nature of the appointment if I’m asked?

Your under no obligation to tell them! A medical appointment is essential and that’s all they need to know! I doubt you’d be questioned on it anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

So in the face of increasing cases and the B117 variant, what is it you're actually suggesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Drunk on power.
    Surely common sense should prevail ?

Its madness. I live in Bray town and there does be large amounts of gatherings every day on the seafront. No sign of the Guards at all.

I personally don't have an issue with it but the double standards is shocking if one person has been told to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Just evidence of the appointment. To be honest, if you say you have a medical appointment, I doubt the cops are going to be looking for an extensive medical history.

A colleague was travelling from West Cork to the city last week for an appointment and was asked for details about the nature of the appointment, that’s why I’m concerned.

It appears some guards are asking and some aren’t. I don’t want to be antagonistic at a checkpoint but I don’t want to discuss sensitive personal matters with a stranger, so I’m trying to figure out what I’m legally obliged to disclose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Hooked wrote: »
    as per:

Remind the Garda IF they need their manners checked that THEY have a code of ethics to follow - and DO NOT engage in any small talk with regards to your letter.

Why the agression ?

It's a medical appointment so won't be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BlaktainPicard

Hooked wrote: »
    as per:

So if I am visiting a grave, do I need to print a letter stating I am visiting a grave ??

A colleague was travelling from West Cork to the city last week for an appointment and was asked for details about the nature of the appointment, that’s why I’m concerned.

It appears some guards are asking and some aren’t. I don’t want to be antagonistic at a checkpoint but I don’t want to discuss sensitive personal matters with a stranger, so I’m trying to figure out what I’m legally obliged to disclose.

I am sorry to hear that Susie. That's awful for your friend. Guards have no right to have any medical information. A medical appointment is essential travel, That's all they need to know.

• Advertisement

Well strictly speaking a guard can ask what you had for breakfast and if your happy in your marriage if they want... it doesn’t mean you have to answer!

We all understand they have a difficult job to do but if a guard asks, you are within your rights to politely decline to inform them! It’s important for guards to understand that we as people know our obligations

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement