Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IX *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Graham wrote: »
    Should we get out of the way while you move goalposts?

No, just say how thing’s actually were.

Not talking about sitting in a pub drinking without having to order food and claiming last Summer was in any way whatsoever normal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

No, just say how thing’s actually were.

Not talking about sitting in a pub drinking without having to order food and claiming last Summer was in any way whatsoever normal

You mean restrictions were much lower (which is what I posted).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Ronan Glynn can say what he wants...if the North, UK, scotland and wales have nightclubs open you can be sure we won't be making do with outside pints with a €9 meal.

I hope you're right but thus far the Irish people have unfortunately shown themselves to be very docile and subservient to anything NPHET command of them. After over a year of this its hard to see the peoples limit, if there is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Graham wrote: »
    You mean restrictions were much lower (which is what I posted).

Well you said ‘fairly low’, which is not really the same thing and is subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

18.7 times lower, no less. Most people would take their chances. The rest can stay indoors and do whatever they want.

But sure let's keep everyone locked up because you're alright.

The number of my friends suffering recently and reaching the end of their rope is notable.

The mental health issues, the cancers, the heart disease, the missed screenings, the people who have died alone after a year of isolation, the children who will be left to pay back this debt in a world where we have utterly failed as the custodians of the liberties we inherited... it's so much more than "pints" but by God propaganda is effective.

no body is locked up though and there is no reason you cant go outside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

I hope you're right but thus far the Irish people have unfortunately shown themselves to be very docile and subservient to anything NPHET command of them. After over a year of this its hard to see the peoples limit, if there is one.

its the same Ireland that was subservient to the Catholic Church all those years ago.
    there is something in the psyche of irish society. and i dont just mean the everyday individual like you and me- i mean the whole structure - the media, the government etc - this structure allows the will of the individual to be overborne - the will of the individual must submit to a structure that is deemed all mighty. all this for the so called greater good. when in fact its the irish people who are still condemned to suffer.

SAMTALK wrote: »

when your street is full of crazy children- yes you have to stay inside

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    when your street is full of crazy children- yes you have to stay inside

No you don't have to, you choose to

No you don't have to, you choose to

yeah i suppose - i choose not to be harassed on the street by crazy children so choose to stay inside.
    i suppose it is a choice but not really.
    but i suppose you have insight into my choices and options i suppose.

good for you - well done.

yeah i suppose - i choose not to be harassed on the street by crazy children so choose to stay inside.
    i suppose it is a choice but not really.
    but i suppose you have insight into my choices and options i suppose.

good for you - well done.

Sorry, I'm not being smart but all this talk of being locked up, travel limit for 12 months, nothing open for 12 months is just annoying at this stage

Things were open and the travel limit was lifted, Yes, we're all pissed off with everything now but let's not exaggerate things,

We're not locked up, we can travel within the 5km ( or more if you actually want )

• Advertisement

Sorry, I'm not being smart but all this talk of being locked up, travel limit for 12 months, nothing open for 12 months is just annoying at this stage

Things were open and the travel limit was lifted, Yes, we're all pissed off with everything now but let's not exaggerate things,

We're not locked up, we can travel within the 5km ( or more if you actually want )

no problem. yeah true. we are not locked up. i agree.

but.... sometimes it does feel like it.

no problem. yeah true. we are not locked up. i agree.

but.... sometimes it does feel like it.

Absoutely, it's tough , it's rotten and I don't think there is anyone that wants it to go on any longer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

30,691,557 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have now been administered in the United Kingdom.

Add the 4,307,304 coronavirus cases since last March. Just under 35 million people now have a form of protection either with the Covid jab or antibodies.

52.3% of the UK population

RobitTV wrote: »
    30,691,557 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have now been administered in the United Kingdom.

Add the 4,307,304 coronavirus cases since last March. Just under 35 million people now have a form of protection either with the Covid jab or antibodies.

52.3% of the UK population

i think Vaccine Envy is now a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

ExKruGPWgAMZ8Li?format=jpg&name=large

UK mortality rates have returned to the pre 20/21 average for the time of year for the first time since January. Already tremendous benefits becoming apparent in the UK, just 748 COVID patients in ICU in all of the UK now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

bb1234567 wrote: »

UK mortality rates have returned to the pre 20/21 average for the time of year for the first time since January. Already tremendous benefits becoming apparent in the UK, just 748 COVID patients in ICU in all of the UK now.

Its great news, gives us a bit of light at the end of the tunnel!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

A big chunk of those excess deaths had more to do with lockdown policies rather than the actual virus. Its good to see that the UK is normalising - all excess death from this point onward will be the real human cost of the bizarre obsession with trying to suppress a virus at the cost of everything else.

Yeah, and prisons have an exercise yard. Changes nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    A big chunk of those excess deaths had more to do with lockdown policies rather than the actual virus. Its good to see that the UK is normalising - all excess death from this point onward will be the real human cost of the bizarre obsession with trying to suppress a virus at the cost of everything else.

Maybe some..I don't see how it would be a big chunk though, if a big chunk was caused by lockdown, UK would surely be seeing excess deaths still seeing as it is still in lockdown? But it will be a good measure of whether lockdowns do cause many deaths as UK continues several more months of lockdown without any statistical noise from COVID deaths due to all vulnerable being vaccinated, so we'll see.
    Anyway..I'm choosing to see it as glass half full and not put a dampener on this seemingly good news. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

timmyntc wrote: »
    That would only be the case if there were so many cases in one area as to lower the chance of transmission - i.e. there were so many infected people that there werent many left to get infected. This just isnt happening here - as likely a scenario as herd immunity and letting it rip.

The reality is that travel limits actively increase risk of transmission - letting people go to the beach, go hiking etc are all low-risk activities and we should be encouraging that, not punishing people for daring to drive away from crowded cities.

Eh???

No stop me if I'm going to fast...

They lift the 5km restrictions and groups of people can meet up as someone suggested earlier.

A group of 10 lads from Town A decide to head off together to meet up in a park in Town B with another group of 10 lads from Town C.

Thats travel between 3 different towns in 3 different countries for this example.

Town A has a very high incidence rate of Covid cases - more than three and a half times the national average
    Town B has a slightly lower incidence rate
    Town C has a very low incidence rate

While in Town B the lads hang out in the park as mates do with lots of messing. They all use the park toilets and later queue at Supermacs to get some snack boxes which they share amongst them.

What do think will happen in the above example?

A. They'll all be fine - they're just having the craic
    B. There's a significant risk that one or more of the above lads is going to catch covid from either one of his own mates, one of the other group of mates or from another source. But it will stop there
    C. There's a significant risk that one or more of the lads will catch covid from either one of his mates, one of the other group of mates or from another source and is going to go home and spread it to their family

The reality is that the 5 km limit helps to lower the spread of covid between different areas. People going to the beach, go hiking etc all tend to mingle with others and / or use shared facilities as other people on the move in that area. With the new varient being up to 70 times more transmissible- this is a very real problem.

No one is being 'punished. A limit on non essential travel is simply common sense during a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

371 cases today....mmmm. Hardly starting to hold on to a few for next week?

Will need case numbers around 500 per day to justify keeping the so called lockdown going to allow for the total incompetence that is the vaccine rollout to catch up

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Maybe some..I don't see how it would be a big chunk though, if a big chunk was caused by lockdown, UK would surely be seeing excess deaths still seeing as it is still in lockdown? But it will be a good measure of whether lockdowns do cause many deaths as UK continues several more months of lockdown without any statistical noise from COVID deaths due to all vulnerable being vaccinated, so we'll see.
    Anyway..I'm choosing to see it as glass half full and not put a dampener on this seemingly good news. :pac:

It IS good news - sorry if I took from that. With Covid banished things can start to get back to normal and the elephant in the room of costs can be assessed.

On the excess death front - in the UK prostate cancer deaths are up 53%, breast cancer up 47%, dementia and alzheimers up 75% - just the tip of the iceberg in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

At this rate Ireland will have 0 cases on Friday

robbiezero wrote: »
    How does the person in the low transmission area who catches it from the person in the high transmission area, spread it all around his area in a Level 5 lockdown?

Well if you read the comments - its fairly clear tbh.

Topic under discussion is about the removal of the 5km restriction so people can meet up outside etc (so not level 5) people can go where they like and what could happen in that scenario.

At this rate Ireland will have 0 cases on Friday

And then it'll be all "The lockdown worked! We need to keep going!"

Real footage of me leaving for the UK when things start to open there:

giphy.gif

Fianna Fail TD Marc MacSharry:

"Coraonvirus restrictions must fall back to Level Three by June 1st at a minimum"

Level Three by June 1st (at a minimum)... :D put the champagne on ice

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

giphy.gif

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish :D

giphy.gif

You mean if and when? :pac:

I see you haven't seen the UK tightening up its travel restrictions etc

Doesn't sound to promising tbh even though he says that's nothing changed with regard to the roadmap....

Health secretary Matt Hancock said the ban on leaving the UK without a reasonable excuse, included in new coronavirus laws coming into force next week, had not changed the road map plans for international travel.

He told Sky News the global travel taskforce would report its findings by the middle of April, with May 17 the earliest possible date in the road map for international travel without a reasonable excuse.

Hancock added: “Now, having said all of that it is now too early to know where the global travel taskforce will come out and know what the decision will be for May 17.

“The reason for that is that we are seeing this third wave rising in some parts of Europe and we’re also seeing new variants.

“It is very important that we protect the progress that we have been able to make here in the UK

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/how-to-avoid-5000_uk_6059a290c5b6f12839d72a14?ncid=flipboard-HP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BlaktainPicard

gozunda wrote: »
    You mean if and when? :pac:

I see you haven't seen the UK tightening up its travel restrictions etc

Doesn't sound to promising tbh even though he says that's nothing changed with regard to the roadmap....

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/how-to-avoid-5000_uk_6059a290c5b6f12839d72a14?ncid=flipboard-HP

This is what has been scaring me since the beginning, progress been made yet travel restrictions getting *worse*, with the constant excuse of variants being used as the stick ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement